Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: .45 Adventure 2nd Edition Coming in March (FINALLY)  (Read 27378 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
.45 Adventure 2nd Edition Coming in March (FINALLY)
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »
Probably the first question that needs to be answered is: “Why a 2nd edition?”

I wrote the original .45 Adventure rules over 5 years ago and in that time we have released 6 supplements as well as some things appearing in our Thrilling Expeditions books. That has meant a lot of rules spread out in several places and in some cases rules that could conflict with one another.

With that in mind, I set about putting a second edition together. But I ran into a problem fairly early on. It seems that the fixes to the rules confusion were creating far more complexity than then they were alleviating.

After some intense discussion, I decided to build second edition from scratch rather than create a hodge-podge of rules fixes compiled in one book. Most of those things that made .45 Adventure what it is, will remain and some things, that had gotten needlessly complex, have been removed or changed.

So, what will you get with this new edition?

• A revised combat system that should be simpler to remember with all the various modifiers altered. No more -2 this or -5 that. There will still be modifiers, but they will be easier to remember. The system is subtle but still requires some thought when playing.

• The three Grades from the original rulebook will remain, but the Grade 1s have been downsized so that players can use them as singles in small games or as squads in larger games. And all the archetypes will get cleaned up and re-balanced with the new rules.

• All the rules for super science, military forces and horror (yes you heard that right, HORROR) will be in one book. Now your mad genius can battle your evil cult with robots and tentacled beasts slugging it out.

• And for those who HATE having to come up with scenarios, we’ll have a random scenario generator that gives you setting, goal, Encounters, and special rules. All you have to do is bring the heroes and villains and you’re ready to go.

• Finally, the best part of all, none of your miniatures will become obsolete, they will all still be useable with the new system.

As we did with the first book release, there will be a demo version of the rules made available about a month before the release date. Those people lucky enough to play in our demo games at Historicon (or who make it to the test games we run at Maplewood Hobby in NJ) will get some stuff early as we hand out beta versions of the Quick Reference Sheets.

The book will be released right before Christmas this year. Whoa! That’s 5 months away! I know, I wanted to make sure word got out as I will be taking the PDFs and books for 1st edition down from the web store immediately because I don’t want people to buy the old rules and then feel cheated when they discover that a new edition is coming out (though if you want to snag copies of the 1st edition books, we still have some hard copies available and PDFs are always available).

This new edition will not affect the other games that use the current 1st edition system. Only .45 Adventure, Dragon Bones, Amazing War Stories, The Gargoyle: Death Soldiers of the Jade Hood, and Super Science Tales will be removed. Their contents will be combined into one single 2nd edition volume.

Be sure to head over to The Speakeasy forum as I will be discussing new things for the rules there and providing early looks at some of the changes.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:40:50 AM by Operator5 »
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: .45 Adventure 2nd Edition Coming in December
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 05:58:25 AM »
Thats something to look forward too.
 :)
, ,

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Well, that explains why I couldn't buy the rules last night.
It's not good, I wanted the rules for a game Saturday.  I guess I need to find something else.

Good to know what happened though.
- Scott

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
Well, that explains why I couldn't buy the rules last night.
It's not good, I wanted the rules for a game Saturday.

If anyone wants any of the 1st edition titles, they should email me. I'll be discounting all of them for people interested in filling in their first edition collection.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
Oh yes...definitely a must buy. Can't wait to see this one released 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
One set of rules I don't mind seeing reissued, considering the huge number of add-ons.  Well done!  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
Well I'm glad I came here to have a look see as I was finally thinking about taking the plunge into .45 as a flexible ruleset for everything from pulp to dark/dystopian scifi.

A second edition which has the core and campaign/experience rules all together is exactly what I was looking for as I was a bit unsure about what books would be best for me to get, I loved the look of them all but could only afford 2-3 at most.

The only slightly sad thing is having to wait till December as I really wanted to get into it now after finally convincing myself to stop procrastinating.
 ::)

Oh well I guess I can work on getting some models and scenery together over the next few months.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »
This is good news, I must admit that Dave and myself have gone over to using Astounding Tales for most of our Pulp games because of how complex and difficult to remember .45 had become.

Although I like AT I really do prefer the more structured approach of .45, and so look forward to the release of version two which will definately be on my Christmas list.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »
Phil: You will definitely like the ease of the new combat rules. I will be posting them up for comment after Historicon over on the Speakeasy forum and here in the .45 Adventure section of the LAF.

Viper: get those models painted and scenery started. I'll be posting bits and pieces but within a month or two, you should be able to start trying out some of the rules.

Offline gharak

• Librarian
    • Aegeus: Age of Mythical Battles
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »
Are all the current archetypes released going to be included in the new book? Or are there planned expansions as per the current sets.

Any new archetypes planned?

Looking forward to it, guess I'll have to hold off planning next years games till I see the new rules.

Still got games planned in Aug so I'll give the old ones a good send off.

Exiciting news.
G

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
I have bought all your .45 books other than the last TEQ, so I'm not overjoyed to hear that my investment in your rules over the years is to be rewarded by you no longer supporting them. It would be a different matter if it was simply a clean up of your rules, and that the supplements could still be used, but to drop the whole lot is very disappointing. :(
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »
Ah! But all the supplements will be in one book now. So even if I was cleaning up the rules only and you wanted that, you would be getting the same value.

I am trying to make it as painless as possible and I know I will not make everyone happy, but I hope I am doing what is best for the game going forward. You will not need to buy all new supplements to get the same thing you currently have.

And I plan to include many of the archetypes that are currently available and there will definitely be new ones. The addition of horror alone opens up a slew of additions.

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 06:11:32 AM »
Yeah, I was a little disappointed as I had picked up .45 within the last few months.  But as I was waiting for the horror and considering some of the others supplements I think this is actually a good thing.  Anything that keeps the stack of books to minimum is a good thing.  Congratulations on being able to watch your baby grow and mature.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »
these are great news indeed! sounds really great, i was considering to buy .45 and that second edition sounds like the final reason to buy it.
Do you plan some pre-order deal or a blundle release deal?

Offline The Dread Pirate GeorgeD

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
Cool. I had purchased a copy of .45 Adventure about 2 years ago, but could never get anyone interested in playing it. I guess I will have to pick up a copy of the new book when it comes out. ;)
"In my way of thinking. The only way to be sure to remember not to
do something, is to forget about it. Then your absolutely certain to
remember not to do it! Do you follow me mate? "

Dread Pirate GeorgeD