Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PTO US Army  (Read 5406 times)

workerBee

PTO US Army
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:10 AM »
Ever the Iconoclast, I am thinking PTO US Army troops "sometime soon."  Most people do USMC for Americans PTO but I have personal reasons to prefer US Army for this era/genre.  Suggestions for miniatures?  Rules? 

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: PTO US Army
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:06:34 AM »
The Army was all over the PTO! Great idea. I don't have much to offer right now, but the Army would be great to use in Phillipine, many of the island campaigns, etc. I'm looking forward to what you chose to use as miniatures.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:43:35 AM »
For those of us Airedales, what books cover the US Army in the Pacific.  USMC has the usual never-ending propaganda litany of sources.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
I would love to be able to point out a manufacturer or two who make US Army figures for the PTO, but as far as I can tell, nobody makes them.

Offline SMPress

• Assistant
    • Sgt Major Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
If you are doing early war Army PTO in 20mm, my Yank line works for them.  I am still working on gettign good pictures, they look better in person than they do on the web...  Honest!   :D

Andy

Bydand!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Another scale!  ???   ??? 

Well, I suppose for non-urban settings  ;) I might get away with it.   :o

I really would want 25/28 mm so I can use my adobe houses... for what I really don't know now that I start typing the sentence.   :?  Well, it's my "big scale terrain" terrain mainstay...   :D

I really feel torn between 1:6k PTO ships, 1:600 WW1 and Post WW2 (Yes, I know there is a 1918-1945 gap there  :o ) aircraft, 1:300 Sci-Fi AFVs, and 25/28 mm Zorro/Western scale terrain storage issues without another scale.   :'(

Well, I guess I should take a look...  "the first one is free," said the pusher man.   o_o

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Yanks

http://sgmm.biz/yanks.html

I'd like to see some painted up and/or in the flesh.

Edit:

http://www.elhiemfigures.com/sm_wake_island_49.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:04:02 PM by Conquistador »

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:00 AM »
I stand corrected, early war Army figures in chinos and tin hats are available - its just the later war Solomons / New Guinea / Phillipines / Okinawa uniform that is maddeningly hard to find.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
Random thought.

Much as I hate the idea of yet another  >:( scale, maybe the route to go would be plastic model figures :o  such as 1/35th scale?

Any idea who makes plastic WW2 PTO Japanese/American ARMY troops in 1/35th or similar?

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit corrected "randon"  Maybe if this was a SF or VSF thread I could design Radon Raiders... Sorry.  Well, a little.   lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:22:22 AM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
If you are doing early war Army PTO in 20mm, my Yank line works for them.  I am still working on gettign good pictures, they look better in person than they do on the web...  Honest!   :D

Andy

Nice that you have what I call a "partial" line  ;) (though for skirmish games 5 metal figures with 3 poses might  ::) be kind of limiting.)   A platoon worth of reasonable accurate ratio of rifles to SMG and BAR figures would be possible but more poses for the riflemen would be really  :D nice.  The painted versions do look much nicer  :-* in the second URL I posted,

Shades of all those plastic lines - sitting/crouching MMG/HMG gunners but no lying down LMG crews.   ???  If it was a more varied line then I seriously would consider them but currently I will pass.  For "yet another scale" the line is too limited in poses and equipment for me.  If I go that way (add a scale) perhaps I should check out modeling sources for 1/35th plastic.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline BAMeyer

• Assistant
    • Company B
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
There are several lines of US Army troops available in just the HBT two piece uniforms which I believe was the bog standard Paciific dress. 

So what's really needed here?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »

Lots of links.

Kinda traditional around these parts.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
There are several lines of US Army troops available in just the HBT two piece uniforms which I believe was the bog standard Paciific dress. 

I would like those links too.   :D

Okay, please point out the one piece HBTs (dreaded by some) which were issued.   ;)  Seriously, those would be cool for a unit. 

The The Osprey MAA 342 has got wanting those Army uniforms, especially the 1941 to 1943 uniforms!  Picture plate "G" shows the late war differences between USMC and US Army (who provided most of the American troops) in the PTO quite well.

I am just starting this era and first I want early war Army figures plus (mid and late war) details like the musette bag worn as a pack, the two canteens, leggings, ponchos for wet weather, aid kits (including jungle version) as details, etc.  1903 Springfields to supplement the M-1s (rifle and carbine.)

Everywhere I go I see miniatures labeled USMC and I am still learning what details would ID a figure as clearly USMC (to be avoided) and can "pass" as US Army.  Despite growing up around many USMC family members (or maybe because) I have had a desire to field US Army troops for WW2 PTO.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »
HBT was pretty similar in cut to the USMC fatigues. I was wondering to myself if the TAG USMC figures could become "army" just by adding a 2nd breast pocket and cleaning up the helmets with a small file.

That would give you a ready supply of good quality figures without a major amount of conversion work.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
Talking with TAG I discovered that "Early War" means different things to people.  Well, Duh, I don't know why I didn't initially spell out the timer period more specifically.  December 1941 through December 1942 (and maybe a bit of 1943.)  Totally My Bad...

Edit:  The TAG POC was thinking Springfields, not Garands, and the old tin hat uniforms.

The TAG figures look possible (even if I have never successfully modified a figure) so I may have a new thread to post by next year...

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:32:03 AM by Conquistador »