Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:12:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another first game (added link to pics)  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Zopenco

• Assistant
Another first game (added link to pics)
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
Yesterday I managed to run my first game of T&T. I had dragooned two other players to take part, so I designed a simple pulpish three-cornered scenario to test the rules. Only the basic rules were used, not the colonial supplement.

The scenario involved two parties of adventurers bent on stealing the invaluable wedding regalia (!) of a Waziri royal bride, and a native rescue party led by no other than the Lord of the Jungle himself.

To prevent the “two against one” syndrome in multiplayer games with equal-sized forces and odd number of players, one side was roughly equal as the other two combined, and the two smaller sides were advised in their briefings to avoid infighting, at least initially – but at the end only one of them coud get the booty and win the scenario.

I provided all the figures, one of the other players all the scenery and the venue.

Side A           
Villainous Muzungu          Hero       Rifle, pistol, knife          1
Avaricious White Hunters       Elite       Rifle, knife             5
Timorous Askaris          Trained       Musket, knife              5+1 leader

Side B           
René the Renegade          Hero       Big-game rifle, pistol, knife      1
Desperate Deserters          Veteran       Rifle, knife             8+1 leader

Side C           
The Lord of the Jungle       Hero       Bow, lasso, Hollywood knife (+1CC)    1
        Lasso counts as blowpipe with short range only   
        Quick, acrobat   
Fanatic warmaidens          Elite       Spear, shield, knife           10
Brave warriors                  Veteran       Spear, shield, knife           9+1 leader
Not-so-brave archers       Trained       Bow, knife             12

The objective was in a cabin in the centre of the table, in a clearing surrounded by dense jungle. Sides A & B entered the table by both corners of a short side, side C by the centre of the opposite side. A long hill kept sides A & B out of sight of each other until they reached the clearing.

The sides were tossed up just before turn 1 and I ended up with side C.

Sides A & B and my archers rushed to the cabin, while my Hero and warriors advanced in both  flanks to try and envelope the invaders. The archers soaked the invaders firepower with many “recover” cards. René reached the cabin first and robbed the distressed bride; the first porter who took the treasure was felled by the archers, but the undomitable René brought a second one and marched away covered by his unit of deserters, which was presently charged and decimated by the Waziri warriors.

The situation of the renegade was desperate, with the Waziri warriors at his tail and the Lord of the Jungle and the unit of Warmaidens cutting his line of retreat. However, he was saved by the actions of the Villainous Muzungu who, showing a degree of heroism unthinkable in such an ill-reputed character, decided to throw away his army and his life to give him a chance to escape. After all the other white hunters had been cut down, he was last seen surrounded by an horde of crazied warmaidens meanwhile the vile René disappeared with his ill-gotten gains...

Sorry, no pics. However, one of the players took quite a few and I hope he will post them in his blog.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:26:37 PM by Zopenco »

Offline Zopenco

• Assistant
Re: Another first game (no pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
In retrospect, I think I was a little bit too generous with troop quality, especially with the Waziri.

We couldn’t find visibility rules in dense woods in T&T. We ruled that LOS within a wood is 3”, and that you can’t charge a unit if you can’t  see it. Is that reasonable?

Everybody liked the card activation system, even though we realized that you need more units to get its full potential.

Some things that my two players didn’t like (and I haven’t got an opinion about yet!):

1.   That troops armed with firearms can get charged without firing a last shot (in fact, that happened in all the charges in our game)
2.   That if you are charged before your activation, lose the melee, pass the morale check and retire, your units loses two turns in a row (because the rules say that the compulsory Recover Action must be taken in the next turn, not in the next activation)
3.   That firepower is not powerful enough (but these two particular players always complain of this!!!)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Another first game (no pics)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
Thanks for playing our game and thanks for the report.
Looking forward to see some pics.

The card system works best with 4 to 5 units per side ( larger games with more units are no problem ).

I did not write visibility rules for woods because I wanted to keep it simple. If there is something you see you can charge it. Even in the woods. Today I know I should have been more precise  ;) I will work on it.

To your questions

1. Thinks happen simultaneously. So it can happen that you dont have a shot before the enemy  charges in. You must plan your activation carefully. I think that gives the game some tactical choices. If you dont like this why not making a house rule. Its simple and usually fun. Please share your ideas. I am really interested in new rules ideas.

2. same as above.
3. I understand this. Especially in Colonial games. The Colonial Supplement contains rules for firepower.

Nevertheless. I hope you had fun.

Best regards
Björn
, ,

Offline Zopenco

• Assistant
Re: Another first game (added link to pics)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
As promised, one of the players ("Blacksmith" in this and other fora) published a report with pics in his blog

http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2010/08/rumble-in-jungle-colonial-skirmish-aar.html

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 08:49:12 AM »
Thanks for the link Zopenco and greetings to Javier for posting the game report.

"Natives should move faster through the woods"
"White men should be much more stronger "

If those are the only things he does not like with the rules we did a pretty good game !

Cheers
 :)
Björn

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
And both of those issues are addressed in the colonial supplement, and they really do make a difference to how the game plays.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...