Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Plastic Wehrmacht Infantry  (Read 10454 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Warlord Games Plastic Wehrmacht Infantry
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
I just got the set of plastic minis.  I had been looking forward to this for quite some time but I am somehow disappointed by their size.  They are just tiny.

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=7222

The idea, the way they laid out the components to fit together, the sculpting - all of these are quite nice.  They are pretty good minis.

They are simply way too tiny, however.  Maybe I'm partial to Copplestone minis that are nice and robust, making good playing pieces.  I know they are out of scale and very cartoonish but I like their robustness.

These Warlord Games plastic Wehrmacht are even tinier and finer than the most fragile Artizan Designs minis.

Let's see how they paint up, though.

Has anyone else tried these minis?  Any impressions?

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord Games Plastic Wehrmacht Infantry
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
I don't have these, but looking at the sprue, my opinion is that the open hands are a mistake.  When companies do that with plastic military models, they often don't hold the weapon right, with strange or awkward results.

When figures are meant to be used for gaming, there is a whole other complication in that they are going to be handled. 

For gaming figures, I think the approach used by GW and Valiant is better: mold the hands/arms in one piece with the weapon.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
Oh, I was hoping that they would fit well with the rest of the BAMs and Artizans... Would you be so kind a post a size comparison picture with an Artizan mini?

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »
after seeing them held in hand on vids and comparing them to it I dunno, to me they look alright and normal, I find allot of companies seem to heroic scale there models allot, or give them extra chunk, or allot just stand in very upright poses.

maybe its just the change in weight and the very low down poses that give an impression on shortness, or perhaps unlike metals they don't have a large metal disk molded to there feet.

I dunno.

as to open hands, I can see it being impractical to more detail liking players, but as gaming pieces 3 feet away I think they'll be fine, and it gives allot of versatility, and shouldn't be a problem when handled unless its rough.

I certainly can't wait to get them, I like metals but the weight is annoying when you have to carry them to clubs in a case, and I can't wait to paint some up in some brown like the troops from the Ruhr

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Rifles sat nicely in the hands.  Not so bad as it sounds here on this board.  Good fit.

Let's see how they look when painted and given a wash.  There ought to be a nice amount of space to catch that darkener.

I'll try to post some images at some point.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:03:25 AM »
I don't think we can be overly critical if they don't fit in with other manufacturer's ranges, however if they aren't compatible with the metal BAM figures that's a different story.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:20:55 PM »
BAM figures are smaller than Artizan, but they all look okay together to me.

If they're a little small alongside Artizan, it's a good chance they find in with BAM.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
One thing that people may have missed is that we now have a new weapon sprue :D

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:48 PM »
And, on the other hand, it is now possible to arm our fine German friends and hosts of this site with any kind of weird stuff.
(That sounds strange tho, as if the webmaster could swing a zzzap gun!)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:05:41 PM by midismirnoff »
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
I don't want to come over all PC, but you might want to consider changing a word in that post to 'our fine German friends and hosts of this site'... just a thought.  ;)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
Well, as a German I don't mind the word  "Kraut"... and my Greek half might even decide to endure "Stavros"... not for long though. "Zorbas" I would endure a bit longer. :D

The weapon sprue is a great thing indeed, but the rifles especially are too flimsy for my liking. Even in the hands of the miniatures they are intended for.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Kraut's not bad with me, either, although I prefer "Jerry". I've seen the sprue in the current Wargames Illustrated and while I like the figures, I think the weapons will be the "make or break" part (pun intended). If you could get metal weapons to arm them with, I'd give them a go sooner than later.

former user

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Krauts for WWII miniatures is fine with me, but I appreciate the concern

comparison shots would be indeed very useful

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Jerry, Tommy, Yank - we're the only ones named after a verb!   lol lol

Jim Hale makes a good point.

I mentioned the difference in size and compatibility because, I'd figure, that people are trying to keep their Wehrmacht/SS guys (not cabbages, sour or otherwise) looking alike.  I have an assortment of Artizan Wehrmacht (of which I am very fond) and got some Renegade Wehrmacht.  They look so much different that they just don't feel compatible. 

The Warlord ones are even more petite and dainty than the Artizan ones but they could fit in together.

The weapons are way too fine (despite being beautiful).

I'd strongly encourage Warlord Games to increase the robustness of these otherwise very nice minis.  Those K98s will break if someone someone sneezes on them o if they are put in a foam carrying case.

(Their choice of parts and sculpting is great, though, so three cheers to some very good thinking and planning on their part!!!!  The only problem is the fragility and being just a little too small.)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
I think it's a case of damned if you do or damned if you don't with weapons, as you get in scale but fragile, or sturdy GW-style mega weapons that look a bit silly. You get so used to seeing weapons on figures oversized, it comes as a surprise when you see the real thing and realise how small it actually is.