Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FINISHED PROJECT - “B” Battalion of the Tank Corps, 1917  (Read 24487 times)

Offline Sidney Roundwood

• Assistant
    • Roundwood's World
FINISHED PROJECT - “B” Battalion of the Tank Corps, 1917
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
I’ve spent a fair part of this year finishing my British and German infantry forces for “Through the Mud and the Blood”.   Until about a fortnight ago, however, I had done nothing regarding building up a force from the Royal Tank Corps despite having both the models and figures buried deep in the “Projects Pending” cupboard for almost a year.  

About two weeks ago I somehow remembered this, and felt that September was a good time to take this part of my Great War project in hand.  I also thought it might be fun to post the work-in-progress on LAF.  I’ve not done a huge amount of AFV modelling before, and thought you guys can tell me where I’m going wrong.   :D  So, here’s where I have got to so far with modelling a section of four tanks from “B” Battalion of the Royal Tank Corps as they might have appeared during the Third Battle of Ypres in the second half of 1917.

Why four tanks, why “B” Battalion and why Passchendaele?  Well, I chose this unit because of the really excellent recent account of “B” Battalion in Ian Verrinder’s book “Tank Action in the Great War” (Pen & Sword, 2009).  I can thoroughly recommend the book as a well-written and interesting read, with new photographs of the tanks and a very moving piece of Ian’s family history wrapped into the text.  I chose the Third Battle of Ypres, Passchendaele, simply because it gave me the chance to field a section of four tanks (three male and one female) section instead of a section of three tanks which seems to have been used a little later in November 1917 at Cambrai.  

I thought I would start with a couple of shots of the inspiration for the project.  First, the historical books which I’ve been reading over the past year on the Royal tank Corps....

....and then some more modern inspiration for the tank modelling, slightly betraying my other interests !! .....

There were eight crewmen in each of the Mark IV tanks.  While I don’t envisage all 32 crewmen being out on the table at the same time (heaven forbid all the tanks “ditch” at once), I wanted to make sure that I had sufficient figures to cover at least a couple of the tanks breaking down and the crews leaving the tanks to return to their own lines, or forming ad-hoc Lewis gun parties.  The figures are Great War Miniatures, with Litko bases (with hexagonal bases denoting "Big Men" in the "Through the Mud and the Blood" rules).  As a lot of people have posted, the Great War Miniatures figures to need a little time to clean and prepare, but I feel they repay the attention.  You’ll also spot I’ve added a company commander and a battalion officer, as well as a motorcycle despatch rider.  Like the Prince Henry Vauxhall staff car which comes later in this post, they are really for “fluff”, but there may be a scenario I can use them in somewhere.  They’re lovely figures, anyway.  Here’s the shots of the undercoated figures (and yes, that is a stray german anti-tank rifleman in the background).....

.......and then with their faces done and base coats of some uniforms.  I wanted to paint a mixture of overalls and uniforms on the tank crew, both being evident in quite a few photos in the books. Christy Campbell's "Band of Brigands", another good book on the Royal Tank Corps, makes reference to the overalls being black to hide the oil smears......

I also wanted to add a couple of casualty bases to place besides the tank crews to signify “shock” being inflicted on the crews if they are unfortunate enough to be outside the tanks.  There are some very disturbing images of dead tank crews in contemporary photographs, particularly of badly burnt crewmen.  I would never want to model such grim material, but didn’t want to leave out a reminder of the horrific casualties the early tank crews suffered.  So, here’s some of Steve’s generic casualty figures, with some suitably “tank focused” bits of battlefield debris manufactured from plasticard, plastic trip, bricks (more matchsticks cut up), picture wire, Styrofoam (petrol cans) and a selection of resin and metal bits (revolver, ammunition box).

Now on to the four tanks themselves, which you can see I have not even started.  I've put two in the picture, a Mark IV female on the left and a male Mark IV on the right.  They’re both resin models from Great War Miniatures, being well detailed and finely cast.

I also wanted to paint a couple of Austin armoured cars at the same time, so I have added these to the thread.  Both are from Sloppy Jalopy.  I managed to assemble both in about a couple of hours, the second one being quicker than the first.  

I found the suspension on the Austins a little tricky at first to glue on, having to balance the model carefully upside down.  

Once the model is stable, however, the suspension, the axle and the wheels glue on pretty easily.  

I tend to use an epoxy resin for modelling resin/metal kits.  Perhaps this is force of habit, but it also seems to me to give a better, slightly less brittle join than superglue.  I’d be interested if you also find that, or indeed whether you abandoned epoxy resin in the 1980s.

The door-shelf on the Austin glues on quite well, as does the plate below the door on the other side of the car.  However, I wanted to ensure that the shelf and plat stayed in place and I supported both with a wadge of green-stuff as well as gluing both the metal shelf and plate to the resin car.

All in all, I thought that the Sloppy Jalopy Austin armoured car kit was great value for money and went together pretty well.  I also got great service from Richard at Sloppy Jalopy, and I think that always sets you in a good frame of mind to make a model.

I also added a 1914 Prince Henry Vauxhall to the force, this really being a little “fluff” for the back rank of the wargames table. My idea was to possibly use this in a scenario to signify a company headquarters, especially with the two battalion officers and the motorcycle despatch rider. The model was “Y-02-3” in the Matchbox Models of Yesteryear range, picked up on Ebay.

The bases of the cars are all marine plywood, and then textured using fine gravel and cardboard. The random bricks dotted around all the bases are cut matchsticks.  I like the idea of a more “industrial” feel to my Great War terrain, and have been adding a few ruined factories and commercial buildings over the past few months for a contrast to the more open terrain boards I built last year.  I painted the bases completely before pinning and gluing the primed and undercoated vehicles to the bases.

Well, that’s the work-in-progress thread started.  I’ll post again, hopefully this weekend once I’ve moved things along a little further.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:42:06 PM by Sidney Roundwood »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: “B” Battalion of the Royal Tank Corps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Great looking collection coming together there  :)

I made one of those Sloppy Jalopy Austin armoured cars. I was less than impressed with the quality of the resin casting, and the fact that the assembly was a bit 'stick the bits where they look like they ought to go'  ::)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:35:37 PM »
Good looking start.

Are you doing any "officer walking with a stick in the air" figures?

Can't remember the book, but recall that driver visibility caused some problems so a number of tank commanders dismounted and walked in front leading their vehicles by holding up a cane.
Several of them did so whilst under fire (but not usually for very long)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »
A nicely detailed WIP thread. Feet up.  Mug of tea.  Lovely.   :)

PS: Nice to see a couple of my casualty figure's appearing.  Thanks for the mention.  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
Great project. I like how you've set it up and the painting so far is very cool. I will be following the painting of the vehicles very closely. Hopefully I'll learn something.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
Looking good, though I thought the Tank Corps wasn't "Royal" until after the war.  ???
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Sidney Roundwood

• Assistant
    • Roundwood's World
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:23:18 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys, they're all very welcome.

@Captain Blood - yes, I agree the Austins are far from perfect.  The absence of a decent assembly guide was a bit frustrating.  But  in the end, I thought they looked fairly good once assembled, and I thought they had a sort of charm. Oh well, time will tell  :)

@fastolfrus - yes, I'm planning a few conversions for the crew involving (variously) an officer with an ash plant walking stick leading the way, a black cat mascot, a pigeon being launched from a tank and some Lewis guns taken from the tanks.

@Steve - thanks, and yes the casualty figures have come in handy again.

@Plynkes - Oh gosh, HOW could I have missed that (cue sound of head hitting the table repeatedly.... o_o ).  Thank you for spotting that, Plynkes old chap!  If only I'd referred to it as the Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
From July 1917 'Tank Corps' is correct, just without the 'Royal' bit (that came some time in the 1920s, I think).

Can't wait to see how it all progresses.  :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
I really like that you've shown all the different parts of the project :)
Keep up the good work and I'll follow this thread with interest (and I'll try to avoid the lure of the 1917 Germans in my closet) :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Great looking collection coming together there  :)

I made one of those Sloppy Jalopy Austin armoured cars. I was less than impressed with the quality of the resin casting, and the fact that the assembly was a bit 'stick the bits where they look like they ought to go'  ::)

Notorious on the lack of illustrated instructions, Sloppy Jalopy.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
I'll try to avoid the lure of the 1917 Germans in my closet

Makes it sound like a wargaming Narnia....

Offline Sidney Roundwood

• Assistant
    • Roundwood's World
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:19:57 AM »
After the weekend and last night, the Tank Corps crewmen are about 90% of the way there.  I've added a few (pretty hasty) photographs which I took last night.  I'll do a more decent photo session when I've finished everything.

I double-checked a couple of references this weekend and went with many of the crewmen wearing dark tan or khaki, instead of black, overalls.  I think I mis-read one of the references in “Band of Brigands” to black overalls, but a quick check on the “Landships” site, and the Osprey “British Battle Insignia 1914-1918” has hopefully (fingers crossed) put me straight.  I came to the view that it probably doesn’t matter a huge amount, as I doubt that the overalls, whatever colour they started with, stayed that way for long.  At least not if Lieutenant A.A. Dalby of “B” Battalion’s letter home in January 1917 is anything to go by :“I wish you could see me come in from my present course. Clad in overalls (khaki) and absolutely one mass of grease, oil and dirt” (“Tank Action in the Great War”, page 26).  I doubt that the crewmen would be a lot cleaner in the field.

I painted one of the officers in a darker coloured set of overalls, trying to replicate a well known photograph of Second-Lieutenant Reginald Lyles, MC at the Tank Museum at Bovington wearing what appears to be a pair of leather overalls.  I’m guessing that officers with a bit of cash to spare might well have supplemented their standard uniform with such things when on leave.  I’m going to try and get a “leathery” look for the officer’s overalls with the help of some satin varnish.

I also finished up the casualty bases.  I’ve no idea if the wiring used in the Mark IV tanks was coloured.  I’m guessing probably not, but I felt it made a nice touch, even if just to distinguish the wiring made from picture hanging wire from grass scatter on other bases!

Next, to finish the last 10% on the unconverted tank crewmen and then the staff officers/despatch rider.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
Lovely stuff. :) As for Sloppy Jalopy, I put two Ford trucks together for a mate (Conrad Hawkwood).Now normally I can put (I thought) almost any kit together including bastard photo-etch.SL almost did it for me,they look pretty good once put together, however I did modify bits and remade some of the bits with plasticard.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:05:29 PM »
Nice work  :D :D :D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
Great work! I might add, your blog is also WELL worth a look. Keep it up, old boy!