Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rebasing the SA Werewolf  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Rebasing the SA Werewolf
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
Back at Trumpeter Salute in the spring, I got the very nice Strange Aeons werewolf from Uncle Mike, and finally dug it out of it's baggie to prep for painting a few days ago.

It was obviously going to have to be rebased; the resin around the feet of the figure wasn't really a proper base, just thin, warped leftover resin. I carved off the resin, filed down the bits left under the feet, superglued a penny under each foot, then used brown Milliput to fill out and solidify the new base, which is roughly 40mm wide and 20mm deep. It's got a good weight to it, more than enough to keep the (very light) resin werewolf upright while he terrifies, disembowels and beheads my other miniatures!

I put the werewolf on the base at a slight angle, one foot forward and the other far back, just to make the pose more dramatic than having him square on the base.

A pair of (pretty lousy, but clear enough) WiP shots:

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Rebasing the SA Werewolf
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

Nice idea but I think that you spend a little too much on the basing… I mean you did use a US cent ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
Nice idea but I think that you spend a little too much on the basing… I mean you did use a US cent ;D

Well, he couldn't splurge and use Canadian cents now, could he?

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Haha! Quite right.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

lol

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »
Looking good so far, can't wait to see the fiend finished.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »
I've seen a variant of this basing technique using 2 washers for cavalry models, I never thought of doing it on infantry/monster models.  :)

Personally, I prefer using washers, as I can then glue a rare earth magnet in the hole and store the mini in a cookie box  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:36:09 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:06 AM »
I've seen a variant of this basing technique using 2 washers for cavalry models, I never thought of doing it on infantry/mionster models.  :)

Personally, I prefer using washers, as I can then glue a rare earth magnet in the hole and store the mini in a cookie box  ;)

Yes, but you can't beat the price of a penny!

For the reference of those of you not from North America, pennies from either Canada or the Excited States are roughly 18-19mm across. Uncle Mike's werewolf is a big chap!

However, I've had a bit of a setback - the Milliput I used on the base around the pennies never set! It was mixed properly to a consistent brown shade, but even now, over a week after I did the work, I can still mark the Milliput with a thumbnail... I've pried most of the stuff off, will use paint thinner to shift the rest, and redo the base with Kneadatite instead.

My Milliput is about a year old; it's been kept tightly wrapped when not in use, but is the stuff known to "spoil" and refuse to cure after a while?

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
but is the stuff known to "spoil" and refuse to cure after a while?
Never had any that didn't cure, that said I use the standard milliput, never used the brown version.With standard milliput the lighter colour stick (yellow one) is the resin and the dark is the hardener. If you mix too much yellow then the putty will remain soft even when cured. I always mix a larger ball of the harderner with the yellow putty that way it sets rock hard. You'd need to find out which stick is the hardener in the brown pack.

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
Our pennys in the UK are 19 to 20mm, so if any want to copy your idea they can do.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
Our pennys in the UK are 19 to 20mm, so if any want to copy your idea they can do.
Yeah I did the same thing with these gamezone zombie wolves, basing them on two pennys. Worked well and matches my other bases.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
Got the critter rebased using greenstuff instead of milliput, seems to have worked better.

I'm also going to send Milliput an email asking which is the hardner in the terracotta/brown stuff, so I can experiment with it a bit on other projects.

Next is to get the werewolf's tongue attached, then clean & prime and onward...