Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rebasing my Frostgrave collection with greenstuff rollers  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
Rebasing my Frostgrave collection with greenstuff rollers
« on: June 08, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »
When I first put together my minis for Frostgrave, I was pretty lazy about the bases. I just did a solid gray paint over and called it a day. It was fine, but I always felt a bit meh about them.

Then I saw Ash's (@Achilles) "Widgets and Wonders" for the Greenstuff World rollers and knew I had to upgrade my guys.

Here's what they looked like to start:

I didn't want to roll and mush on a lot to the bases so I actually used a cookie cutter to cut out the putty. I've done this a second time now and what I've started to settle in on is using the cutter to get a un-textured round and the doing the final roll onto the base directly. It works pretty well.

I just did a quick paint job on the bases themselves, sprayed with Krylon gray, washed with GW nuln oil, then painted over the stones using Dawnstone gray. One thing I am noticing is that my primer is a bit hydrophobic making the wash stage a bit obnoxious. Anyone have any tips for dealing with that?

Here's a bunch of the rebased minis. I managed to bust this out over the course of a week, which is good by my standards since I'm getting max 1-2 hours of hobby time a day (life with a small kid) :-)

I'm excited to field my rebased wizard and newly painted apprentice, Belmont and Gordon, members of the sigilist school. I want to try to take advantage of easy to write scrolls and powerful spells like strike dead and restore life. Should be fun :)

Here's a picture of "Kronk the Cold" a barbarian. Note: don't talk to him if you want mercy, he's chaotic neutral.

Here's a shot of my sigilist and what I think might be his starting group:

I have to say I LOVE these rollers. I bought the six pack of the rollers and have a pound of Super Sculpey ready for some other projects. I'm thinking I'll be able to make some nice terrain piece with it and some balsa :-D I'll share some pics when I get around to using it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rebasing my Frostgrave collection with greenstuff rollers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
Wonderful result.  The green stuff rollers look like a great idea.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
Nice re-basing.  Looks much better than the solid color. 
Wonderful result.  The green stuff rollers look like a great idea.
I am using them too.  Very nice effect and cost effective.
Snitchy sends. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Great idea!  I really like the looks and ease of that method for adding texture to your bases. 
Mike

Offline srba

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:25:33 PM »
These look great. Huge improvement on the original bases. They really make the miniatures come to life.

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:39:41 AM »
I just did a quick paint job on the bases themselves, sprayed with Krylon gray, washed with GW nuln oil, then painted over the stones using Dawnstone gray. One thing I am noticing is that my primer is a bit hydrophobic making the wash stage a bit obnoxious. Anyone have any tips for dealing with that?

Did it "pool"? If so you need to break the surface tension with a smidgeon of washing-up liquid.

I use the rollers as well and find them very good. I highlight the edges of the individual stones and cobbles and this makes the base "pop". Adding very small grass tufts in the cracks adds to the feel as well.

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
Yeah it kinda pooled, I would almost say it beaded into droplets. When you say washing up fluid do you mean soapy water?

I was thinking of adding something like a green moss for that pop.