Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:43:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone got a good way of representing mini solar panels?  (Read 8475 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Anyone got a good way of representing mini solar panels?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
To be honest I can't remember what's the best type of printer to use but I do remember waiting for it to dry properly (the printer we had at uni, like most things, was cheap and nasty  ::) ).

The stationary shop be able to help you with what sort of printer (or some nice LAF'fer will answer  :) )

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
I haven't got any photos of my international space station because it was made before digital cameras  lol And the original prints are in the attic somewhere (which isn't really an option).

Cameras? Hah. When I was at university, I think the requirement was still that essays be submitted in the form of an illuminated manuscript. At least it felt that way.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Broonkah

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 04:58:40 AM »
Not sure how many panels you need, but I saw some from Woodland Scenics today.   Part of their scene a rama line.  Also included two wind energy towers.   I think the product number is SP-4348.

I tried to get a pic with my phone but I am new to posting so I am not sure if this will work.  If it doesn't the pic on the woodland scenic site is prolly better anyway.

B

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »
you have linked an image on your computer.
the link you0ve posted is
http://C:\Documents and Settings\JohnB\My Documents\My Pictures\solar panels2.jpg

i think that you'll have to upload it before... :)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
Here is a link to the product http://scenearama.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/SP4348/page/1 and the picture of the product is:

Nice find Broonkah - I may find plenty of use for the windmills

Andrew

Offline Broonkah

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
Thanks Andrew,

Yes,  those are the ones I had tried to post.  Was not sure if it was okay to link the woodland scenic page for the pic.  I will need to work on the uploading thing. 

From looking at the package, the panels and the stands to prop them up are separate pieces, so it should not be difficult to mount them on a roof.  Unfortunately there are only two panels per pack.

Broonkah

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
Two would be quite fine. I was only after that conscious/green homeowner look for a smallish house.

Actually, after going to buy the set I almost crapped myself. They wanted $21.72 USD international shipping! :o

I think I'll go back to Jim's suggestion next time I stop by in town.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Korwin Miniatures

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
How about destroying some cheap calculators and taking real solar panels from it?  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Now that's a good idea  :D

cheers

James

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Do want. A shame they're too large in length x width for my needs otherwise. Styrene isn't something I can easily get, so's regular card would be the more affordable option.

what size do you want? I've got the basic panel as a single entity of 32mm x 19mm x 1.5mm thick... i just replicate it to make large panels... so anything down to that size is possible: That size is 7 cells across by 4 down btw, so each cell is about 4mmx4mm.

I designed them to be very easy to paint, so you just paint the whole thing with metallic paint then do a black oil (or enamel) wash and you're done. (I cant paint for toffee, so i try to make things even i can paint!!!)

let me know what you want and i'll see what i can do.  ;)
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 07:15:54 AM »
How about destroying some cheap calculators and taking real solar panels from it?  :D

It is certainly a good idea to keep handy for another project somewhere down the road, but the only calculator panels over here are red and lacking the right 'look' for what I'm after.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
Here's my ideas:

Materials-
*Card of some kind. Cereal box, CD case plastic, blister packing; whatever you think is best.
*Silver gel ballpoint pen. Alternatively, fine point silver Sharpie.
*"Steel" colored metallic paint. Any brand.
*Transparent blue paint. Tamiya makes a good one. If there's any metal supply or machine shop/supply places in your area, you might try looking for Dykem blue marker fluid*.

Cut the card to the size & shape of the panel you need. Paint the panels steel, then take a straightedge and your silver pen and draw a grid atop the steel paint. Finally paint over that with the transparent blue.

If you use clear plastic, you can try drawing the grid first, then painting the steel over it, then flip the whole thing over and paint the blue on the other side of the plastic. You can also try drawing the grid on top of the blue instead of under it, or drawing the grid on the top side of the clear plastic, and painting the blue and steel on the under side.

*This stuff is pretty cool, and should be sourceable even in many places where hobby shops are thin on the ground. It's used by machine shops to coat metal parts so that visible markings can be scribed without marring the part's surface. The really cool thing about it is that when used without a top coat, it has a metallic purple specular shine on top of the blue, which would make it extra good for solar panels.

Yet another way would be to go to a copy & print shop (like Kinko's) and have them print out an acetate overhead projector sheet in solid blue, then back that with aluminum kitchen foil.

You could even combine techniques, like printing a photo of a solar panel on acetate, then backing with either foil or metallic paint. Or print in greyscale, then do the blue with paint as well (only if you're using Dykem blue for the specular effect, otherwise just printing blue will be simpler). For maximum control you can draw a 2D solar panel in Inkworks or sketchup, and print that instead of a photo.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
This Dykem blue marker fluid intrigues me. :)

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:50 AM »
Just thought I'd put my 0.02$ where my mouth is, had a few spare minutes and wanted to try it out. Who can go wrong with a few spare solar panels.

Picture does not do justice to panel on the right but I prefer the left panel anyway.

Both made with cereal card 25mm x37mm (1x1.5inch). The one on the right is the sandwich method (card, acetate, frame) glued together with superglue with the frame hiding the glue. Paint job is lousy on the edges but it will be hidden by the frame anyway. Painted Phythlo Blue with silver gel marker for the lines with frame painted neutral gray. Gel marker is not the best and was difficult to get a good line down but it worked. Superglue did fog acetate a bit but hardly noticeable.

The one on the left is simple painted card method. Cut 4 cell shapes out, painted them phythlo blue and then glued to painted (neutral gray) cereal card . Drew lines with gel marker again. Glossed with "Pledge with Future" floor wax.

Backed both with extra card as single layer of cereal card is quite flimsy and glued a spacer on the back

Nothing fancy, not as nice as Jed's, but 15minutes work not counting dry time and free. maybe I'll try a printed one next time.

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:20:37 PM by Braz »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »
I like the one on the left best too.