Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain/ Board Paint?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
Terrain/ Board Paint?
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Just wondering what kind of paint everyone uses for painting their terrain and boards, especially big boards.  In the past I've used large bottles of craft acrylic but I was wondering if there is something better.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Terrain/ Board Paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »
I use matt emulsion, the stuff for walls etc. You can get it mixed to any colour at most DIY stores
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »
Same as Svenn here. Good ol' wall paint works great. Also, most hardware stores have a few cans of badly mixed paint that they'll sell at a real bargain price. There's nothing wrong with the paint, it's just that the color is not what a customer asked for. I've made great discoveries there (both for terrain and actual wall-painting...)

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Yep. Matt emulsion.

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »
Hmm.  Would this emulsion stuff be the what I might know as Latex house paint?  Does it offer any extra protection for pink or blue foam? 

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
Not sure what latex house paint is?
 I use the same as the other guys. I go to the local DIY store, ( Homebase or whatever your nearest is called) and buy a litre tin of matt paint. The sort you would paint your living room walls with. Its not special paint, just plain matt (water based) Emulsion.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
Hmm.  Would this emulsion stuff be the what I might know as Latex house paint?  Does it offer any extra protection for pink or blue foam? 
I'm pretty sure that it isn't the same thing. Latex paint is usually used on the outside of the house to bring extra protection. Matt emulsion is just a plain bucket of paint for indoor use.

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
Okay.  I'm sure its the same stuff or close enough.  Just never heard it called that.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
Yes, cheap paint is the best paint. Well, actually it depends what you are doing with it. Emulsion is good, especially for white, as it it cheap. I also like really bad acrylics, from the cheap shop. They tend to split into their constituent parts when you water them down, which is in a way good as it means you get nice variation over your terrain. However, not good for doing high quality things like inside a pristine space ship or something.

As said above, hardware stores can mix you a pot of whatever colour you like, but it costs and then you have a whole load of it. Better to use cheap acrylic, as its easier to store and better quality to use.

Remember, you can just mix any paints that are water based too, so house paint and acrylic and kids powder paint all can go in the pot together. Just go for what is the cheapest and you will be ok.

My personal technique is to dry brush scenery with white house paint, then wash with dirty brown black mix, then drybrush again, then wash again and repeat until it looks good. The more layers of work you do, the "richer" the finish will be, with more texture and a nicer quality to the end result.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
Okay.  I'm sure its the same stuff or close enough.  Just never heard it called that.
Its not the same here at all. But it might be in the US :)
Check the tin and look for thinning advice, if it says white spirit or something else than water, its probably not a good thing to paint your terrain with. If its for outdoor use, it'll probably shrink, and that might warp your stuff a lot.

Edit: Bloody iphone and auto spelling in a different language...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:14:43 AM by Silversixx »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
And most paint companies (in the UK at least) sell small "match pots" for a pound or so. You can then try it out and see how it covers and what the "dry" colour looks like before you shell out on a large tin. I've got a couple of match pots I use for drybrushing highlights that have lasted a couple of years, so it becomes even better value  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:35 AM »
I second the matchpots/tester pots idea. You can sometimes pick them up at about 30p (I reckon about 40c in US?) when they are end-of-range stock. Last time I was in the DIY store I got a bunch of sandy-coloured ones for my desert board.

Obviously, they're still sitting unopened on a shelf somewhere, but hey ho, it was still a good idea to get them...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
I second the matchpots/tester pots idea. You can sometimes pick them up at about 30p (I reckon about 40c in US?) when they are end-of-range stock. Last time I was in the DIY store I got a bunch of sandy-coloured ones for my desert board.

Obviously, they're still sitting unopened on a shelf somewhere, but hey ho, it was still a good idea to get them...

And unlike GW paints they won't dry up after the first time they've been opened  ;)

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »

Yes.

Latex-Acrylic emulsion aka House Paint...as you get from Homebase, B&Q etc. They also do the textured exterior versions which are very useful, although you can achieve the same by just mixing in some sand to the normal stuff.

It's excellent for covering styrofoam: tough and slightly felxible and it grips styrofoam very well.
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"