Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flames Of War  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Flames Of War
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »
I've somewhat convinced 3 friends to start playing Flames Of War with me.
I'm looking to get Open Fire! so I can learn the rules + get a start for two armies. But haven't yet.
As such, I have no idea as to points cost/unit.

Having never played before what is a good (starting) points size to get started and (roughly) how much money would that cost?

This is just so I have some info for the other guys.

Thanks.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Flames Of War
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
It's been a while since I played FoW, but we used to play 1750points, which is an infrantry company, plus a few tanks, some artillery and other support platoons. You can get cheap 15mm minis than Battlefronts from Peter Pig and Skytrex amongst others often at an equal level of quality and then cut bases from plasticard.
Duncan

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
Again, I haven't checked the rules but 1750pts seems like a lot. Wouldn't a smaller number 500pts to 1000pts be more suitable to start?

I'm basing my pts knowledge on a few Wargames Illustrated articles I've viewed.

That and I know that in 40k or LOTR 1750pts is a lot to start with...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »
I should also add that my buddies have NEVER wargamed before so asking them to spend a lot of money initially might scare them off.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
We're not overly blessed with that many FoW players. However Battlefront/FoW have a wealth of stuff on their site to help beginners. As dijit says, there are alternatives to the 'official' models and figures out there which are generally cheaper.

If it was me, I'd start playing with stuff as it was painted, start with an infantry platoon and build from that. You won't use all the rules straight off that way and you can add in the rest in convenient bites as you paint stuff up to add to your forces. I wouldn't worry to much about points straight off till you've got the basics of playing the game down pat. There's sample forces in the rule books to start you off and many of the FoW figure packs usually have the points values on the box.

If you and your friends can agree on a specific part of the war to game, that will save you some time and money as the range of supplements is quite extensive and you don't need all of them to play.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
Indeed. Firstly I would advise deciding upon which period and front you want to play, so costs can be cut by simply buying one book for army lists. Then get a couple of platoons (say, 600 pts?). If you buy figures from other games companies such as Peter Pig, QRF, etc, and then buy a pack of bases from Battlefront you can do an army for a rather small amount indeed*. Buy Open Fire! only if you're sure you're going to have players who will use the tanks (to be honest, if I were you I'd just buy the rule book and a supplement). 

Cost differs hugely depending upon the army you want to do - 1000pts of German paratroopers with limited support costs a hell of a lot less than 1000pts of Russian T-34s, for example. 

*Battlefront’s infantry is fairly cheap, but their vehicles (and guns) cost a lot. Shop around if you’re looking to do a force with more vehicles than not.

I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Wasp

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »
Hi,

I´am playing FOW and yes you are right 1750 are a lot points. But not for every army. Would you like to play germans (or SS for example) 1750 points means nothing.  Would you like to play the russians, 1750 Points can easy cost 300,00 $

The problem with FOW is your Army is build arround historical formations so there are a lot´s of must have´s to play an army.

In the Rulebook on Page 185 you have some special Rules to play games around 600 Points. But even for these forces you can pay 100,00 $ or more (I say 600 Points are 21 T-70 light tanks for example).

The normal Mid War Army should built arround 1500 P. Latewar could break the 2000 P.

Would you like to play an cheaper Wargame you should search for rules with 28mm Minis an Forces at Platoon streange. FOW is made for the big battles with a lot of Platoons, or even more then one Company. And that is the way you can have the most fun with FOW I think.

FOW aren´t a Fast game 3 - 5 Hours should be planned in for games with infantry. Tank Companys are cheaper and the games are naturally shorter (1-3 hours i think).

I hope that helps a little bit.

Greets Jan

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
Probably better would be to use Disposable Heroes or Rules of Engagement (or another platoon level game) and play with 15mm models until you get enough done then you can rebase (if of course you wish!), though to be honest I've found platoon level games much better than FoW.
Duncan

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »
The problem with FOW is your Army is build arround historical formations

Really? Well, Battlefront sure have fooled me...  ;)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:52:23 AM »
Thanks for all the replies...
Lots of great advice

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:00:37 AM »
Open Fire is a good intro AFAIK but you really need the main rule book and a theatre supplement. Basically the way BF treats some nations is not technically historically accurate but others are overly compensated for their actual real life inadequacies such as Command & Control. I would recommend attending a con or tourney where people can explain the games to you and you might get the opportunity to participate in a game. Most people will have a preference for a nation, one of mine is Italian, really ordinary performers but some lovely historical matchups when you play against British or Commonwealth forces where your opponent doesn't run 6 Churchills which are the "Tigers" of the Desert War.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »
Really? Well, Battlefront sure have fooled me...  ;)
Yes in FoW you often have very unrealistic levels of support for an infantry company or any other company for that matter, but everyone seems to want all their tanks and artillery with them rather than playing a system where that level if support would be realistic. Duncan