Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Keep movie  (Read 6682 times)

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
The Keep movie
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
It looks like The Keep has been added to Netflix streaming for insta view....

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The_Keep/70153886?trkid=2744492#height2002

Bad movie, but cool idea.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: The Keep movie
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
I thought it was quite good. I have the video somewhere.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
I liked the movie.  Not brilliantly made, the music was bad, but the setting, idea, characters, and story were great.  I always wished there were sequels.

Reminds me of the Dune movies in terms of being a bad production of a great story.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
A real stinker.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
The movie was OK the book was far better, an excellent read...

Tony

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
One thing I liked about the movie is that it took me to a place in E. Europe that I had never seen and had no idea about. 

That's one of the things I like about historical movies (not that this was really history).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »

Is that the movie were a bunch of German soldiers stop in a fortress which turn out to be some evil entity’s prison? If so I’ve seen it on tele ages ago. If memory serve me well (don’t bet on it…) it was okay but not great… :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:51 AM »
Is that the movie were a bunch of German soldiers stop in a fortress which turn out to be some evil entity’s prison? If so I’ve seen it on tele ages ago. If memory serve me well (don’t bet on it…) it was okay but not great… :?

Yep, that's the one. And Ian McKellen is in it, this time as the wheel-chair-bound professor.
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
I thought it was quite a good film, as for the music, damn awesome don't knock tangerine dream!!!

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
If you watch it knowing its a B movie and have fun laughing at the worst parts, its kinda a fun movie!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »
I love this movie.

Oh, it's not a great movie by any stretch: the script & editing are pretty muddled, the acting is waaaay all over the map, and the ancient magic McGuffin is probably the most hilariously bad prop in all of B-movie history.

...But the setting is one of the most awesomely creepy places you've ever see in a movie (seriously, you couldn't pay me to sleep there even if it wasn't haunted). The music, though odd, is also awesome and adds a whole new layer of dreamlike weirdness to the atmosphere. I also love how the good guy/bad guy dynamic focuses on the difference between regular Wehrmacht as mostly ordinary blokes trying to get by, and the SS/Einsatzkommandos as evil Nazis proper.

The book is great too. The comparison with the David Lynch version of Dune is a very apt one IMO: both have very striking and well executed visuals, both have excellent casts who deliver often oddly poor performances, both have weak & muddied scripts and editing, and both inspire very similar arguments among fans of the source material.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:27:09 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:43:41 AM »
You gotta read the book. it's a good as the movie is bad  :D! It's funny that this came up, I just started watching this on Netflix a few days ago and after a few minutes I remembered how much I hated it. This is one movie that is ripe for a good remake if one were to make it much, much closer to the book.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
I've never seen the film but I did read the book in my early teens!

Can't remember if it was good or not, the only vauge memory I seem to have is of gold crosses built into a wall? :?

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
Brass uprights with nickle crosspieces in the book, full nickle crosses in the movie. Well, most of them ;).

There was an attempt to remake/re-adapt The Keep a few years ago, but it never got past the early planning stages. IMO a two part TV miniseries would be the way to do it if you wanted to get the full story of the book in there. A single movie would have to cut stuff in order to come in at a decent length without rushing things along too much.

...Which is what the Micheal Mann film did with the dropping of the vampire stratagem subplot. A book-accurate ending was filmed and was supposed to be in there, but the studio went back and butchered recut it after the filmmakers were finished. The footage still exists (you can find parts of it on youtube), and there's occasional rumors of a DVD directors cut release that would be much tidier and truer to the book, but it's never come together for one reason or another.

There was a graphic novel adaptation at one point that was supposed to be pretty much verbatim to the book, but I've only ever seen snippets of it. The art is kind of Mike Mignola-ish, which is pretty appropriate IMO.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:15:54 PM by Connectamabob »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
I have the graphic novel. It's quite good.