Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1920's Chinese Tank Names  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
1920's Chinese Tank Names
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »
Hi Guys,
does anyone have any info/pictures of Warlord chinese AFVs with naming/numbering in chinese script?
I'm in the process of making a Medium A Whippet for my warlord forces and would like to give it a suitably chinese name.

thanks in advance

vT

Offline koz10

• Scientist
Re: 1920's Chinese Tank Names
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
I'm not rich enough to have vehicles specific for one side or the other. If I keep them generic, I can use them for Reds, Whites, French, Poles - whoever!

That being said, I wonder if the new Osprey book on warlord armies might have something. I'll try to dig it out and check tonight.

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
thanks guys.
I get the feeling that the chinese did't name or paint slogans on their vehicles the way the Bolsheviks did.

I think I'll pass a few made up names names through an online translator - or use some food packaging labels - "MAY CONTAIN NUTS" would make a cool tank name!

@koz10 - I'm scratchbuilding my vehicles from card so cost isn't an issue for me - it's like getting a free tank or whatever with each box of cereal!

vT

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
@koz10 - I'm scratchbuilding my vehicles from card so cost isn't an issue for me - it's like getting a free tank or whatever with each box of cereal!

vT

Now that's sweet! (no pun intended) I wish I had that kind of free time. Or was able to train my kids to do it for me.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »
For my 15mm Warlord army I took this from the Osprey Chinese Armies book - using the name tag on the soldiers' arms and applying them as insignia in combination with the republican star emblem (since they were all nominally paying lip service to central govt.)

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
I think I'll pass a few made up names names through an online translator - or use some food packaging labels - "MAY CONTAIN NUTS" would make a cool tank name!

Funny.                      ^

For more ideas look at varios 'Engrish' sites:

http://www.squidoo.com/funnychinesesigns

http://www.engrish.com

Online Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
or use some food packaging labels - "MAY CONTAIN NUTS" would make a cool tank name!

What about "Handle with care" ?
or also... "Made in China" ?

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
And let's not forget the classic "Cheap but Delicious"!  ;D

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys - I'm hoping to get the Osprey book tomorrow. I was thinking about the star but wondered whether they might also do stripes as per the Brits and Russians.
I've also got "Wash Separate" & "This Up Way" - if it hasn't already, this could get very silly!

vT

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
I once modelled a 15mm Afghan standard bearer. I used an old Letraset catalogue for reference and used the arabic for 'Exit'!  :D

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:07 AM »
I once modelled a 15mm Afghan standard bearer. I used an old Letraset catalogue for reference and used the arabic for 'Exit'!  :D

Now I don't feel so bad for planning an Afghan/Pathan 28mm force controlled by the Khan of Kholah, whose banner is red with a white wavy line across it.

(and yes, I'm aware that Khan isn't a terribly Afghani title. The terrible pun is too good to pass up, though. Perhaps the Khan or his ancestors fled southward from Central Asia and kept the title?)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
Now I don't feel so bad for planning an Afghan/Pathan 28mm force controlled by the Khan of Kholah, whose banner is red with a white wavy line across it.

(and yes, I'm aware that Khan isn't a terribly Afghani title. The terrible pun is too good to pass up, though. Perhaps the Khan or his ancestors fled southward from Central Asia and kept the title?)

I am not sure whether Khan is a title or a name in Afghanistan/NWFP but it is quite common. I *think* it is more of a name, like the way Westerner call themselves Duke, Jarl etc.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »
There have been plenty of Afghan rulers calling themselves both Shah and Khan, though as Hammers says, it would appear to have been part of their name: the official title seems to have been Emir.

As far as names go, as the man said Khan is a common enough name in Afghanistan and Pakistan, much in the same way that "King" isn't an uncommon surname in Britain. Doesn't mean you actually are one. The most famous Pakistani Cricket captain was Imran Khan, and the current WBA World super lightweight champion is Amir Khan (though he's from Bolton rather than Rawalpindi).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Apparently it can mean <military> leader to, or so Wikipedia tells us. It is apparently still used by Afghan uzbek tribes, which is a Turkic people.

Aga Khan is a hereditary title passed on within a house of international playboys dating back to the Raj and Persia.