Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690983
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A few new Figures and a couple old ones... Photo Intensive  (Read 6600 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
A few new Figures and a couple old ones... Photo Intensive
« on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
While I had the camera out for a game I took a few shots of some other figures I hadn't bothered to photograph yet.  Some are rebased minis from Horrorclix and I think from a D&D miniature game I found browsing online.  I have a few painted from pulp minis too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48890619@N02/

My Hound of Tindalos

A Zombie Strongman from horrorclix- I love the torn torso

This is my Wendigo...this was a D&D mini I think...can't recall it's name though.  It looks so nice as it is, I didn't even consider repainting it.

A great Tsathoga or Fat Ghoul another unpainted D&D mini

I am working on a bunch of Cultists right now...including a Narg the Torturer which I think will look great when painted alongside these guys...

Can't wait to get this Nightgaunt painted.

This is my big ugly figure I use to represent a Great Old One...It's a D&D mini too called the Caller in Darkness I think.  It reminds me of something from the old Evil Dead movie.  I've shown it before

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:56:49 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: A few new Figures and a couple old ones... Photo Intensive
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
Nice minis, prepaints have some nice sculpts, and are usually really cheap. Your Tsathoga or Fat Ghoul is actually a Ral Partha 'Demon' mini from the 80s, (just checked and can still be bought from Iron Wind Metals)

Damien

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
Great stuff... seems there's alot of potential with some of those Horrorclix figures. Never seen the zombie strongman before thats great.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Your Tsathoga or Fat Ghoul is actually a Ral Partha 'Demon' mini from the 80s

...which was also the sculpt used for the mage knight pot bellied demon. Thewendigo is a mage knight mini too (a wood elemental of some sort). Great stuff!

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
Nice selection. :)
Who makes the Nightgaunt? It looks like a great model.

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
Thewendigo is a mage knight mini too (a wood elemental of some sort). Great stuff!

Aye, s'right!  :D Was quite a nasty beastie as far as I recall. Great idea for a mini, Gauntman do you mind if I use your idea as inspiration? An avatar of Ithaqua or somesuch? I love your painting; clean and crisp (although I've never understood the premise behing "crispy" painting), the faces having a lot of character! Also, if that podgy demon was green it would look a LOT like the one in the cover of the HPL Ombibus 3 (which I'm guessing is Pickman's Model).
Oh - ancient ones, the fearless gods
I wake you up tonight
To rule the earth again

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Nice selection. :)
Who makes the Nightgaunt? It looks like a great model.

That's made by RAFM, code 2920 (link).
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
My Hound of Tindalos
A great Tsathoga or Fat Ghoul another unpainted D&D mini

Yea this is the Mage Knight version of the model, quite a good sculpt and it does not suffer from normal bendy plastic syndrome since it has no extremities sticking out.
I have one lying around I think, so if anybody suddenly wants one after seeing this I'm up for a trade.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
Good selection.

A few things, all the figures could do with an ink wash, especially the investigators/agents. help to make them little less toylike.

Wendigo i'd repaint in windy/snow colours, whites, ice blue etc.. look more like a wind walker then that a forest ent, (sorry the brown doesn't suit).

Cheers, look forward to more

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
That's made by RAFM, code 2920 (link).

Nice one, thanks Ajsalium.  :)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

A few things, all the figures could do with an ink wash, especially the investigators/agents. help to make them little less toylike.

Wendigo i'd repaint in windy/snow colours, whites, ice blue etc.. look more like a wind walker then that a forest ent, (sorry the brown doesn't suit).

Cheers, look forward to more

The Commander

Like many of us,
I have gone through a wide number of painting styles and techniques through the years.   Years ago, I used to base black and leave some of the shadows.   I was always impressed by the brighter eye popping figures I'd see others display (which had been primed white)/

Then I began experimenting with a white primer and washing the entire figure with a darkening wash to adjust the tone down.  However, I didn't like dealing with the runs and dark blotches this technique sometimes caused, or the perfect paintjobs and detail that could be ruined with a poor wash. 

I mainly use my inks for my leathers, or to add a more varied shade of color. 

I only use washes now for shadows on fine detail areas like in between fingers on hands and other fine tiny areas which need shading detail.

As far as the Wendigo...figure...I'd like to repaint it... but the thought of stripping it or repriming it doesn't really excite me.  I like the color suggestion though, you'd paint it a pale white blue...like a frozen corpse?  I'm kinda intrigued by that thought.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
I have quite often undercoated straight over the existing paint of Wizards and Mage knight miniatures and cant say I have had any problems, so cutting out the stripping step might make it more enticing to you?

I have to say normally I would agree that your miniatures could do with a bit more shading. But for this game and these miniatures, I really like this look. They have a sort of Tintin like quality, bright explorers and agents fighting against the darkness.

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »
I keep seeing that Investigator with the under slung shotgun and greatcoat all over the place but have yet to find the model. Where can I, if I can try to maintain any shred or semblance of respect to the original post while saying so, score that mini and especially the pulpy one with a monkey? With almost ten years behind me since my adolescences' obsession with the comedy of the simian I find myself coming back to my roots. NOTHING is more pulp than a shoulder monkey- fez optional, but recommended.

Thanks for any help gauntman, keep up the good work!