Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons FAQ  (Read 128948 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Strange Aeons FAQ
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »
Not as bad as it appears. Well, potentially. Although it does mean more close combat it also means more opportunity for the Threshold Character (the best model in close combat and usually the most commonly charged model on the Threshold team...) to escape from close combat and be available for nominations.

Offline jasper

• Bookworm
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
Not as bad as it appears. Well, potentially. Although it does mean more close combat it also means more opportunity for the Threshold Character (the best model in close combat and usually the most commonly charged model on the Threshold team...) to escape from close combat and be available for nominations.

I really need to read the nominations part again. ;-)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »
I think the opportunity Mike hinted at is that when a model wins a CC it can elect to move out of base-to-base instead of rolling to wound.

Since the round of CC at the top of a turn comes before nominations, this would be a good play for a Character, a model with Lieutenant or a model that needs to get back into command range.

See p.11 - Leaving Close Combat

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
The most important part in my view is from the Command rule:

"Command cannot be used if the Commanding model is in Close Combat during the Nominations Phase".

Threshold characters need to fight as a team.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2016, 02:56:34 AM »
Nailed it. ^^^  :)
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
We are working out the battle resolution and my buddy has rolled a "Free Skill choice" from the Serious Wound Table.  Does this free skill aquired count as an advancement for the figure towards their advancement limits (I know it is 0 PP)? 

My thought is no, because the advancement table has not been consulted.

Lembit

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
You are correct Litebrite, totally free. One of the only 'nice' things that happens (infrequently...) in Strange Aeons so I can see why you were confused!  ;)

Offline ojdota

• Bookworm
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2016, 01:21:20 AM »
How do Threshold agents acquire spells? and how do you cast a spell in game? Sorry if these are dumb questions   o_o

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
How do Threshold agents acquire spells? and how do you cast a spell in game? Sorry if these are dumb questions   o_o

Sorry, I just saw this...  Not at all stupid and the short answer is with great difficulty and much regret (by design).   ;)

Firstly, you need a few skills to cast spells.  Read Languages and Speak Languages are both absolutely required.  "read" to translate the spells (ie. learn them) and "speak" to actually cast them in combat.  There are upgrades as well but these are the basic requirements to cast (ex: "Bookish" and "Arcane Master").

Secondly, you need to actually *find* a spell.  Without a spell none of the above is worth much (no kidding!  ;D ), and there are several skills that can increase your chances to find one or translate one (what?!?  you did not think that was automatic did you!?!  have you even read any of Lovecraft's stuff?!   ;)   )

In short, it can be done, but is not easy and of course magic is not the be-all-end-all in the game either.

edit: see p120 in the 2ed digital pdf for details

Scott
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:44:24 AM by Grumbling Grognard »
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Olaffsen

• Schoolboy
    • Schmock-Blog
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
Do human lurkers (i. e. cultists) have to take an insanity test, if a hideous (lurker) model comes into base to base?
(Say an agent and a cultist are already in melee and a fishman charges into base to base contact with both.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:18:01 AM by Olaffsen »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 09:57:16 AM »
Do human lurkers (i. e. cultists) have to take an insanity test, if a hideous (lurker) model comes into base to base?
(Say an agent and a cultist are already in melee and a fishman charges into base to base contact with both.)

Yep!

The fun of playing with Hideous beasties as a Lurker player.
 :D

Offline Olaffsen

• Schoolboy
    • Schmock-Blog
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »
 :o
Oh my god, this game is so fantastic!

Thanks, Mason.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
:o
Oh my god, this game is so fantastic!

Thanks, Mason.

Dont forget: Fear works on Human Lurkers too.
 ;)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Returning to to the game after a little while away I found myself uncertain about the 'Unarmed' rule - previously I'd been playing it thusly;

if you enter c/c, your c/c weapon has to be equipped - if you're holding any 2-handed firearm you're going to need to sling/drop it & equip your c/c weapon, at the cost of an action, to get the  CCB & damage value of the c/c weapon - so, if attacked in c/c before you've done this you could be considered unarmed.

However, it would seem that the RAW is simpler - if the model has got a c/c weapon (whether its currently 'in hand' or not) you can use it & therefore do not count as unarmed.

(I think the confusion may be due to the gaming group house-ruling & that it became 'official' in my head over time o_o - all attempts at clarification would be welcome.)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »

However, it would seem that the RAW is simpler - if the model has got a c/c weapon (whether its currently 'in hand' or not) you can use it & therefore do not count as unarmed.

This option is how we have always played it out.

I assume that is the intention in the rules, but it keeps things nice and simple too, which is always a bonus.
No need for too much bookkeeping, I reckon.
 ;)