Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what is the right vehicles scale for 28mm miniatures?  (Read 18356 times)

Offline KermittheFrog

• Student
what is the right vehicles scale for 28mm miniatures?
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
Im wanting to eventually start up my own zombie skirmish game, probaly using AR:SE rules.
Anyways, to get me motivated I was looking around some of the toy stores at my local shopping centre and was tempted to buy a few vehilces just to play around with, add damage to them, paint them, reinforce them as a "survivor" vehicles but before I bought anything I wanted to know the right technical scale for 28mm.

Second question.
When it comes to zombie skirmish where should I start? Ive read a few of the posts about building cities and collecting figures but dont really know where to begin.

Anyways, thanks. 

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: what is the right vehicles scale for 28mm miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30:51 AM »
I like 1:48 myself. It eyeballs very, very closely IMO (I use the seats to compare, as they're the easiest/clearest bit to size up next to a figure), and there's lots more stuff in that scale than in it's neighbors.

I've heard it said that 1:fiftysomething or 1:60 are supposed to be technically correct, but how does one establish that when the heights of a varying bunch of fictional people is the major reference point? Even theoretically consistent real world kit (rifles and such) often varies enough from company to company to make this fuzzy IMO.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline KermittheFrog

• Student
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:00 AM »
thanks for that, it just so happens one of the trucks I was looking at was 1.48 and I took a 28mm DnD figure with me to the store and it looked about the right scale.

Do you use just 1/48 or a few scales?

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
I've used everything from 1/43 to 1/60, depending on the vehicle in question. If it looks right, then it is right. Nice and simple.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »
It also depends on what miniatures you're using. If you use Rafm's USX Modern line or the Reaper Chronoscope figures even the 1/43 scale stuff looks good. If you have any of the older stuff those vehicles look huge.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »
Go to a local toy or big box store if you have them and trawl the car aisle with a figure looking for stuff that looks right. Most of the toys from the CARS line (from the Pixar movie) for example are a good match. Non-Matchbox and Hotwheels diecast lines like Jada, M2, and the like are good to look at as well.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:18:24 AM »
Siku make a good line of Modern 1/55 scale cars.  Actually the perfect fit.

They also make a series of very nice 1/50 scale models if 1:48 or 1:50 is your preference.  Corgi is very good as well.  They have a nice line of 1:50 police cars and fire trucks that would work well.

And of course, there's our new SWAT truck coming out.  Might as well spill it that I have three or 4 other "modern Vehicles" in the works, specifically for Zombie games.

Brent
Company B

Offline KermittheFrog

• Student
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »
cheers guys, very helpful.
Many of the sotres you guys have said to shop at I simply dont have as I live in Australia but thats fine. Ill know what to look out for next time.

I wanted an accurate scale not just for the looks but for playability. For example, a large truck I was going to cut the roof of the trailer and add doors that open (if they dont already) so the survivors (or zombies) can hold up in there for whatever reason. Just adds more enjoyment and options to a game.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
I use different scales due to availability of models for different subjects:

1/48 for WW2 (Tamiya vehicle kits)
1/64 for modern (HotWheels usually are and they are cheap)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
What you want is Tonkin Collectibles.  They are here in Seattle, and make very nice diecast trucks in 1/53 scale, with full interiors.

Price varies on the model.  $29 to $79.
http://tonkinreplicas.com/brands/precisionseries.html

Good source for these a well as any other diecast in various scales
http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/catalogmfg.asp?Mfg=TR&Type=&SubType=&Brand=&RChar=&Scale=&Mv=Previous&pageNo=2

Offline KermittheFrog

• Student
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
I like that tonka truck. Though im not looking for super detail necessarily as opposed to an interior with a few decals or something just to make it look good.

Hotwheels are great, I used to collect them as a kid! but afraid there a tad to small for 28mm.

It seems im shttung all your suggestions down guys, for that I apologise :D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Personally anything from 1/43 to 1/50, don't mix models of vehicle and use what works for you, no hard and fast rules really.

Plenty of vehicles of various scales in my zed thread, you should be able to see how they all work together.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
as said depends on your minis/bases... but I go 1/48 or 1/50 or it just looks right...

1/43 is too big even for slotta'd figures...

1/48 Bedford OB van (not really relevant, but looks good big), BTD 28mm, Mongrel 28mm, 1/43 Police Mini

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
The vehicle scale debate. 1:55 is pretty good mathematically. I have two of the siku Citroen Avants and they line up quite well. I also have vehicles from Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and some generic. These are all random scales -- "box scale" most commonly -- and all work.

So I guess I will echo the comment that it is what "looks right." Sometimes that means larger scale, sometimes that means smaller scale. Caveat to that: table space is precious. Go as small as visually possible to preserve it.

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
(...)So I guess I will echo the comment that it is what "looks right." Sometimes that means larger scale, sometimes that means smaller scale. (...)

+1 on that!

Unfortunately the "miniature vehicle companies" don't use the same scales amongst them selves.
What's even worst, some of them don't even respect the scale of their own line of products.
By that I mean, they have a standard box size (lets say for 1/43 minis), and then they just "fill the box" (as in stretch the mini till the box is filled) so you end up with a "smart" the same hight of a "humvee", if you see what I mean.

So as said before and as rule of thumb, take a scale with you and check.