Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Peoples thoughts on the new Mantic Orcs?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Peoples thoughts on the new Mantic Orcs?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
I say they are going about it in the right commercial way. They are selling stuff to GW followers at first, getting them interested and then they will release something off the wall once they are strong followers.

Very smart, but it's a risky business whatever way you look at it.

Agreed, agreed.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
I think the reason they look weird is because they are bug-eyed.

Not my cup of tea.  If they were more like Uruk-Hai or D&D orcs, I'd be in.  These are just too goofy lookin' to muster up a battle cry from me.

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:02 AM »
well put Faust

Damien

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »
Not really whay I'd buy - too much in the GW vein of Orcs which aren't my cup of tea.

However, their Ghouls are fantastic figures. Great for all sorts of stuff- not just fantasy and I also love their Elves. Shame the Orcs and Dwarves don't work for me though  :(

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »
See, I think these are stronger than the elves, definately stronger than the dwarves and at about the same level as the Undead. I prefer GW's undead, and there are orcs out there I prefer to these. However, I do think the poses are interesting and they are not 'GW style' at all.

The bug-eyes put me off! Perfectly pointed oiut there Faust23.  :)

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
I like these Orcs, better than gws for sure

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
Mantic's figures are well done, conceptual copies of GW stuff; that's the market they're targeting, and it's working for them. In that context, I think these orcs are heads and tails above the GW ones, which are much more cartoony and ridiculously proportioned to my eyes. However, I prefer more realistic stuff like the Lord of the Rings orcs (the movie orcs, not the GW figures). Still, I get behind Mantic... Their Kings of War game is absolutely fantastic, their prices are amazing, and their figures are top quality (even if you don't like the designs, the figures themselves are excellent).

Also, Mantic's next few armies are widely believed to be: Orcs, Humans (likely working with the Perrys), and Ogres.

Thanks
n.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
Also, Mantic's next few armies are widely believed to be: Orcs, Humans (likely working with the Perrys), and Ogres.

uhm, humans? that's intereesting!
i would like to see some decent elves from them... all the other armies are much better than elves! :-\

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
They are ok, but I'm undecided.
There is something odd. For me, it isn't the facial expression, it is something about the stance & proportions. It is a very top-heavy model: the shoulders are big and rounded, leans forward some, yet stands up very straight considering.. maybe they're limited because of needing the feet to be contained in that center disk that fits in the square base. The orc looks like he needs a wider stance to balance those shoulders.. as it is, I get the impression he's almost being held up by helium shoulders, like he's a bit weightless. 

but i'll reserve final judgement until I see more of the troops.

This standard bearer I think is much nicer, maybe it's one of their metals?
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
Hi Laughing Ferret, after reading your comments I went back to the Mantic website for another view. You are right about the stance, I agree that the feet are too close together making him look off balance. I think you are right and the base is probably to blame. The standard bearer on the other hand has a wide stance and is on another type of base (round lipped?) and looks more natural. Perhaps it is this one example model that looks odd and the others are better looking; still looks bug-eyed to me though.  :?

Damien

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
I'm really liking the look of the standard bearer. I'll be curious to see the rest of the line as well...
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »
That standard bearer is much better than the preview from before. The armour in particular is excellent!

Offline StorminWolf

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
the orcs look ok so far.
But as i general don't really like their miniatures, I#ll proabably bwon't buy anything.

In general i think mantic looks very static and the proportions of their miniatures are generally not coompatible with those of allmost any other 28 mm fantasy setting. This is not the case for the undead troops, but the elves don't look that well mixed with any other 28mm elf type i know off.

But I'm not here to rant against them, the orcs are certainly better then teheir last release, and i still have to try the game, since i got 9 WhFB Armys ^^.
But i wish them well, since i think a few other competitors would do GW some good ^^

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
I myself don't see the eyes as being a problem, as for the stance, I always saw GW orcs being rather too top heavy etc  lol with stubby legs. I am guessing the rather hunched stance is because they are a bit big up top, which is probably why they are leaning, but actually I don't see an issue with it, especially given that the 6-up is on the move! And who likes standing up straight when someone could be shooting arrows at you  ::)

As for the standard bearer, he looks awesome, I have not seen that fig yet, only the 6-up, I was hoping the Mantic bunch would have the 6-up at the Alumwell show, alas they did not. But its not like I mind, they are still a friendly bunch and showed me how to play Kings of War!

Will be interesting to see how the others come out.

BUT! I will say this, despite having three massive armies of Mantics Dwarves, Elves and Undead, they are coming a long in leaps and bounds, and they certainly want to make their Command and Champion figs look way more dramatic and heroic than their troop types. If your going to buy a huge army you will rarely get the luxury of spending toiling hours over the unimportant cannon fodder!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 03:02:16 AM »
The new orc boar rider seems pretty good to me.

But I don't know if it's plastic, metal or "resiplastic" like the undead mounted revenants.

And the boar don't look like a clon of "ALF" from the old TV series, like the GW ones do.

(If you don't recognize the ALF reference, perhaps you are too young, so don't worry, wiki or google and you'll see him).

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!