Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: No Limits, Fast and Dirty or......?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
No Limits, Fast and Dirty or......?
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
Been thinking for a while of doing something sci fi that requires 20 to 40 figures per side and ideally could make use of the plot generator in the Rogue Trader rulebook. For the background I've plumped for the Dr Who universe in the 26th Century as it can make use of figures that I have (all those placcy Daleks for one) and there is an Earth Empire bordering the Draconian Empire, so there is potential for using some of the RT scenarios. Plus the background isn't so rigid that I can't bring in other alien species.

Question is, I've looked at Fast and Dirty and No Limits as potential rules for this, but which is better? Or should I be considering another (preferably free) rules set?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: No Limits, Fast and Dirty or......?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
FUBAR is everything I wanted FAD to be, and is only one page.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »
I haven't played anything mentioned  :( but I'm a fan of Two Hours Wargames for this kind of stuff you have in mind. And CR 3.0 is free; it isn't scifi, but you can customize it.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
I used to play FAD a lot. I really like it, it's very fast and easy to learn. There's different levels of training, suppression, medics and vehicles. You can build custom armies but it takes a while to calculate the point costs, if you really need them. It's great for 20+ miniatures and a few vehicles.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
I have both FAD and FUBAR on my computer, haven't yet played a game with either. lol  I'm more inclined to try FUBAR as it's simpler (to say nothing of Tomorrow's War which I will likely play when it comes out.)
I also looked at No Limits at one point, but at a glance, they seemed like a "not 40k" ruleset, which to me isn't a good thing.
Jim

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:50:20 PM »
I'm giving FAD a decent go on Friday night, it looks good, but I'll do a proper report.

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
I haven't played anything mentioned  :( but I'm a fan of Two Hours Wargames for this kind of stuff you have in mind. And CR 3.0 is free; it isn't scifi, but you can customize it.

5150 is the scifi variant of Chain Reaction. Costs 20/25$ (pdf/printed)
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
I quite like FAD4 my self. You could also try some that I wrote: Crimson Dusk, http://www.crimsondusk.webs.com/. It's got potential, but needs work. What it does offer that FAD4 doesn't are more personality driven games. Can't say how it compares to FUBAR not having tried. If you're using the plot generator from RT, why not just use RT? It's a fairly decent ruleset, when used with a little common sense.
Duncan

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
Another vote for FUBAR here. In addition to having clean, elegant core set of mechanics, FUBAR has a crazy amount of support from its community, with new supplements being created by fans on an ongoing basis. I really like FAD4, but I feel that FUBAR gives me a very similar feeling game with less work and abstraction. Also, I like how FUBAR scales more easily than FAD. You can easily have a platoon sized engagement or a five man/side skirmish with FUBAR.

All that said, the core mechanics of RT are still pretty fun and give a good game.

Jason

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
Chain Reaction is great and free and easily converted into sci-fi. Here you can see a sci-fi 4 scenarios campaign using CR3.0: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Battle%20Reports.%20Chain%20Reaction%203.0

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the input, folks. I'm leaning towards No Limits as FAD seems to be a bit deadly. I worry about FUBAR rendering all the alien races I want to include a bit samey, but I will have a look at Forge of War.

The CR3 system is something I want to give a go but I don't see it as suitable rules for 20+ figures a side. I'm willing to stand corrected though!