Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Normandy - a Short Review  (Read 11011 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Kampfgruppe Normandy - a Short Review
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »
Agis, May well pick yours up, if only for the pictures! Im a sucker for pictures...
You are welcome!  8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
true ... it's a better game than RF I think ... bit more too it.
No spy cameras, just talking to Shawn etc   :)

When you have done some I'd be happy to chime in with thoughts you know that :)

Rich J

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »
I have this book and am mightily impressed by the succinct ruleset. Army lists and copious scenarios are an integral vital component to this fine game. Very fast to pick up, super mechanics - really like it.

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »

When you have done some I'd be happy to chime in with thoughts you know that :)

Roger that rubber ducky!

Hope to start serious work on it once the Cold War book is finished.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »
Cool :)
Like the new little tweaks so far to the rules - going to give it an afghan run out when the new supplement arrives.

Offline lone_gunmen

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:35 AM »
This game looks great. Been a big fan of the Warhammer Historical books, they're very nicely presented.

What miniatures would be best for it?
http://laserblastpainting.wordpress.com/ My commission painting blog

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
This game looks great. Been a big fan of the Warhammer Historical books, they're very nicely presented.

What miniatures would be best for it?

It's written with 20mm in mind, but like most systems you can play it at whatever scale with just a few tweeks.
I play Disposable Hero's in 28mm which I quite like as the play is fast and easy. However, I do wish it was in hardback with some fluff and pics as I like that in my rule books. Probably why I really like all the Warhammer historical books.
I'm curious about the book, but like many the price tag has me concerned. I think it's probably worth it as all Warhammer Historical books and FW are excellent quality, but 48 pounds is still something that needs thought beforehand.

Nice review btw.

Christopher

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:14:20 AM by Axebreaker »

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
I would love to try this game out, but as many others, I cant justify to pay that price for a book, when half of it is background stuff that I allready know or have better sources for my self. It is the same with many other game books with rules though, it feels like they allways need to include some historical stuff to justify their book. It silly really.
The only thing I could think of that would be nice, would be some painting guides for the people not that knowledgable or that dont have access to extensive material them self.
However, it was nice to read about this, and you might have persuaded me to actually start thinking about getting the book after all, at least for the rules section :O)
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
I would love to try this game out, but as many others, I cant justify to pay that price for a book, when half of it is background stuff that I allready know or have better sources for my self. It is the same with many other game books with rules though, it feels like they allways need to include some historical stuff to justify their book. It silly really.

A pleasure to hear it. That was EXACTLY my thought when writing Victory Decision, fluff free rules and army lists!

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
Good review,might give it a go sometime......forty eight quid price tag it needs to be bloody good though!

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

Well its not silly if you dont know the historical stuff.

Two mates of mine knew nothing of the period, bought the book, and have now started armies.

The fact that it came with all the historical information was a huge bonus to them.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 04:39:34 AM »
We played a quick game last weekend.  It was a real change from our usual WWII rules - Tractics. There just weren't enough charts to look at. :)

It did really play fast, the command points added a bit more suspense to the turns as did rolling every round to observe your target. Having an uncanny knack for rolling 1's I came to the conclusion my gun crews (who didn't notice the tanks rolling over their position) must have been drunk and napping.  I'm hopeful our next game will turn out better for me.

The book is very nicely put together and since some one else bought the rules I and just fine with the price. :)
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Like all rules, it depends what you like. For platoon/company level my rules of choice is IABSM from the TooFatLardies stable, no fluff just a cracking set of rules that models perfectly the friction of warfare.

For larger games I am a long time fan of Rapid Fire and for that reason KN appeals. Dave Andrews knows the period exceptionally well and if he is willing to lend his name to the rules (albeit through images of his vast collection) then they must have a degree of credibility.

As to price, £48 isn't cheap but I have been playing Rapid Fire for many years and if KN lasts as long and gives me the game I want then it's a fair investment. I'm not picking on them, but since Victory Decision has been mentioned I'll use them as a comparison. The fifth supplement has just been published taking it to $56 for PDFs if you want to buy the lot, plus the cost of printing and binding - and at the end of the day you still don't have a high quality hardback book.

Offline meadowsboy

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
I have not picked them up yet but probably will!

£48.00 for the complete Normandy package is good! Flames of War supplements are £30.00 and do not include the basic rules!

cheers