Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Two Rule sets Id like feed back on  (Read 3009 times)

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
Two Rule sets Id like feed back on
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »

I seem to like both these sets after reading them but haven't played with them yet so.... I like to get feed back, insight,  or any thing really from folks who may have play one or the other ....even better if you played both maybe you could compare the game play and help me pick one THANKS  :)
Gordon
Adler Hobby NH USA
www.adlerhobby.com
Stop by our fun Black powder Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BlackpowderNE/

Offline Frank Frey

• Assistant
Re: Two Rule sets Id like feed back on
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:20 AM »
Greetings,

I have both sets and have played them. They are both good but approach the game from different angles. Colonial Adventures relies very heavily on reaction tables. All of that die rolling can get a bit cumbersome. Still, it is not bad to mirror the unpredictability of colonial warfare.
Contemptible Little Armies plays quickly and smoothly. It is a good set of rules for convention gaming where you don't have a lot of time to play. The mechanics play out simply on the tabletop and they are easy to pick up.

Frank Frey

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:07:51 AM »
Greetings,

I have both sets and have played them. They are both good but approach the game from different angles. Colonial Adventures relies very heavily on reaction tables. All of that die rolling can get a bit cumbersome. Still, it is not bad to mirror the unpredictability of colonial warfare.
Contemptible Little Armies plays quickly and smoothly. It is a good set of rules for convention gaming where you don't have a lot of time to play. The mechanics play out simply on the tabletop and they are easy to pick up.

Frank Frey
That was very helpful thanks I almost didnt think Id get a reply  ;)I am looking to do some convention gaming so this helps me lean towards CLA a bit more.  :-*

Offline Frank Frey

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »
If you are going to stage a colonial game then I would suggest you take a look at the Sword and the Flame. They have been in existence since 1979. They are quick, easy, and fun. Perhaps one of the biggest advantages is the fact that they've been around for so long that a lot of gamers are familiar with them.
They've worked well for me for a long time and I've used them for everything from Amercan Civil War to the German Invasion of Florida in 1905.

Frank Frey

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
Agree that The Sword and the Flame is very adaptible, almost always fun, and many players are familiar with those rules.  Lots of firepower in WW1 though, so TSATF needs a little bit of adjustment.  Also, when playing with a large number of players cannot give a move or shoot card to every unit on the board or the game will slow down too much. Better to give an activation card to groups of units or to each player when playing with a lot of players.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
Id like to stay focused on the rule sets in the original post, as they are  "easier" to get thru a local brick and mortar,TSATF is a online order rule set and though it is good it isn't fitting well.Thanks again!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
What kind of games are you thinking of running? Colonial or Great War? CLA has lots of rules for various technical and material aspects of the Great War that being a Colonial set of rules, Colonial Adventures doesn't touch on. Seems like you're wanting to compare two things that don't really bear comparison. Maybe if we knew what you wanted to use the rules for it might help us help you.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:39 AM »
What kind of games are you thinking of running? Colonial or Great War? CLA has lots of rules for various technical and material aspects of the Great War that being a Colonial set of rules, Colonial Adventures doesn't touch on. Seems like you're wanting to compare two things that don't really bear comparison. Maybe if we knew what you wanted to use the rules for it might help us help you.

A bit of both, My main focuse to begin with will be Great war Africa theater , and then anything that gives me a chance to use them cool German camel riders by tiger :-*