Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New project, C18th smugglers  (Read 9671 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
New project, C18th smugglers
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
Well I have been bored at work all week and have been thinking of a new project to undertake. I have finally settled on an idea for smugglers in C18th West Country England or I guess any coastal area - possibly even Romney Marshes with Dr Syn :)

I have so far sourced most of the figures I intend to purchase over the next week or so:-

Some of the new Foundry civilians, in particular their smugglers pack and the townsfolk. Some SYW British Dragoon, both mounted/dismounted and The Treasure Island pack for two  armed civilians and Long John Silver.

Front Rank C18th civilian packs including the vicar figure, several wagons with drivers and horses/oxen.

From Westwind the town militia pack of 8 figures from their Sleep Hollow range. This has several really nice figures holding lanterns and torches with muskets.

Now I need to find some generic buildiings. I need a church and a cluster of houses to form a village, maybe about five or so.Ideally they will be ready painted to save me time. Any suggestions for these :?:

Anything you think I have missed or anymore suggestions for extra figures :?:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:40:50 PM »
Sorry no suggestions - but this is an ace project! I'm looking forward to following your work on it.  8)
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
ESLO make nice ready-painted buildings, if time rather than cash is the deciding factor. They look a little more European than British to my mind, but are reasonably general-purpose. I've been using them for my Great War games, and will do for Gloire too, when I get round to that.

http://www.gelaendestuecke.de/

Their UK agent is Calliver books I think, but they don't seem to carry the whole range, so I order direct from Germany.

Edit: They don't do a decent church, though, which is a shame. I'm on the lookout for one too.

A bit difficult to navigate, that site. You need to look under:

Weitere Produckte >>> Gelände, Platten & Bausätze (verschiedene Maßstäbe) >>> Gelände (25mm - 30mm / Standard Tabletopgröße) >>> Industrie, Häuser & Ruinen >>> Fantasy

There are some nice village houses, shacks, windmills etc. in that section.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
TM Terrain might be a choice, though expensive.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
Great sounding project! Blue Moon have the Disney version of Dr. Syn in their Highwaymen box, but of course you'd be stuck with a load of other ruffians, then. The only other thing I can think of would be some sailors to fight with if the smuggling negotiations turn sour.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: New project, C18th smugglers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Well I have been bored at work all week and have been thinking of a new project to undertake. I have finally settled on an idea for smugglers in C18th West Country England or I guess any coastal area - possibly even Romney Marshes with Dr Syn :)

An excellent choice of projects!

Some of the new Foundry civilians, in particular their smugglers pack and the townsfolk. Some SYW British Dragoon, both mounted/dismounted and The Treasure Island pack for two  armed civilians and Long John Silver.

Front Rank C18th civilian packs including the vicar figure, several wagons with drivers and horses/oxen.

Good choice there. Front Rank is a bit beefer than Foundry if you're allergic to these sorts of things. I'm not. They also have some lovely regulars as well.

From Westwind the town militia pack of 8 figures from their Sleep Hollow range. This has several really nice figures holding lanterns and torches with muskets.

Got a link? It's possible I've seen this but have totally forgotten it.

Now I need to find some generic buildiings. I need a church and a cluster of houses to form a village, maybe about five or so.Ideally they will be ready painted to save me time. Any suggestions for these :?:

I bought the "English Village" CD collection from Fiddler's Green and am pleased with it, but these are paper buildings and thus do not really fit the "saves time" condition. I still recommend them because the CD of twenty-some buildings costs the same as a resin building.

Anything you think I have missed or anymore suggestions for extra figures :?:

Outpost Wargames Services has a newly-resculpted Highwayman line which includes rich victims and a few very nice highwaymen. There are also some thief-takers for something other than the Dragoons.

Full disclosure: I've received complimentary miniatures from OWS. I might've bought them anyhow, and generally prefer to give my business to companies run by nice people.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 02:34:10 PM »
Pete,

I thought the idea of Foundry would upset you :lol:

Here is the link to the Westwind figures:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_20

Thanks for the heads up on Outpost Miniatures. I had forgotten them. :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
Poly edited the graphic slightly so I'll use it again, just for emphasis:

Thanks for the link to the Westwind stuff.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
Have you seen these Eureka 18th century tavern groups, Malamute?

http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/18th-century-92-c.asp

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Have you seen these Eureka 18th century tavern groups, Malamute?

http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/18th-century-92-c.asp

Very nice :)  Thsi is going to be an expensive project :lol:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »
Ahh Malamute, I am looking at the Highwaymen I have the Foundry sutff and Outpost gear and am looking to build up with a few of the Front Rnk figures

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »
For buildings; are Hovel's English range too crude? They look a bit old but they also have that "Jamaica Inn" feel about them.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: New project, C18th smugglers
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Now I need to find some generic buildiings. I need a church and a cluster of houses to form a village, maybe about five or so.Ideally they will be ready painted to save me time.

Malamute, very nice project and very tempting ...  :D

I would offer three prepainted buildings from the Conflix range of polystone terrain pieces:

The tavern

Tavern extension wing

House with hayloft

If you'd be interested, please drop me a pm.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
Superb idea. Don't forget the Revenue Men / Excise Men too. And find room for some wreckers. You now have to re-watch every episode of Poldark for inspiration! (Now what was the name of the Captain of Grenadiers again... a Scotsman... I can see his face now... )

Anyway - buildings, yes, I have all the Conflix range - there are 6 or 7 pieces, all pretty good, though a basic paint job. The other ace supplier of relatively cheap, pre-painted half timbered buildings (in wide variety) in the the UK, is the ex TSS people, PMC Games, who basically now sell their stuff only through eBay as Sellthatstuffboy. Really pretty good, and a big range.

But I can tell you from about 3 years of looking that NOBODY bar NOBODY does a decent 28mm English country church. Hovels do an undersized one with a small steeple. TM Terrain carry a reasonable 20mm St Mere Eglise, which would just about do (I have one, but have yet to paint it - I'll let you know how I get on). Hornby do a couple, which you often see pressed into service, but again, although nice models, they are really way to small for 28mm figures.

The GOOD news however, is that Dave Bodley (of the very excellent Grand Manner) promised me 6 months ago that a proper 28mm English country church was on his to-do list, and he was aiming to have it by the end of 2007! We shall see.  :wink:

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:55:57 PM »
Best source of reasonable looking ready-painted 25mm resin buildings that I've found is eBay, a chap trading under the banner of "Sellthatstuffboy", he usually has a few, generally for about £10-£15 each, including a coopers barn that looks very tempting :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25MM-WARGAMES-MEDIEVAL-STYLE-BUILDING-COOPERS-BARN_W0QQitemZ220164412625QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He also has stacks of barrels and crates etc. and his stuff is good quality, I have bought quite a few of his 15mm WWII pieces and they are top notch, also a couple of 25mm Monitors (great but I need a bigger river now !) that I picked up for VSF games - cheap enough that I can use them as ready painted scenery.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)