Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695383
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetor's Orks: Kommando Kill Team 16/10/18  (Read 59519 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Cheetor's Orks: Kommando Kill Team 16/10/18
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
I have been preparing for some Gorkamorka gaming over the last few months.  In addition to getting a lot of terrain ready I have been getting a few orks painted up for my mob.  These are the first orks that I have painted since 1997 or so :D

Budget is tight chez Cheetor so the majority of the figures used are the guys from Black Reach, with a few simple conversions here and there.  I also used one box of Ork Boyz plus a few bits that I got on ebay.

I tried to ensure that the paint job would be easy and quick to replicate as I didnt want to get bogged down in a complicated scheme.  I tried out a couple of others on test figures until I got one that worked for me.  It ended up being a pretty traditional ork colour scheme.  Its not showcase army standard or anything but it is pretty neat and has enough contrast to look good on the table I think.

A Black Reach Nob and a Yoof made from GoMo plastics with a modern head.

A Yoof and a boy.

A Boy and Frankenork

A Boy and a Yoof

Two Yoofs and a Rogue Trader era cybork.

The last Yoof and a Shoota boy.

The cyborks below have magnets inserted at the waist.  As I was running out of torso parts from the Boyz set I only have two cybork torsos and six pairs of legs (from Kromlech).  That why the torsos repeat in the next three photos.

I painted up three resin vehicles from Ramshackle Games for the Bigdogz.  Although they are painted primarily for use in GoMo I wanted them to be suitable for use in other post apocalyptic games.  They are visible in another thread

I have more figures than I need painted up for GoMo now but I will continue until I have painted up the remaining fifteen or so that I have, largely because I have enjoyed the ork painting project a whole lot.

More details regarding my ork related stuff can be found here on my blog if you are interested.

Comments and criticisms are all welcome of course.  Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:53:07 PM by cheetor »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Orks for Gorkamorka
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Very nice work, I like your use of the old models as yoofs, with the larger head they really look like young'uns. I like your use of Bionik Bitz too! Can you fit them all on the vehicles? Good luck hunting for your scrap!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
Very nice work, I like your use of the old models as yoofs, with the larger head they really look like young'uns.

Thanks Pil. 

The big heads do make them look a bit gawky, appropriate for ork teenagers I suppose.

I like your use of Bionik Bitz too! Can you fit them all on the vehicles?

Not a hope Im afraid :)  Our gaming group is pretty lenient with that rule ;)

Good luck hunting for your scrap!

I forgot to include photos of the scrap actually...

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
Orks (of any stripe) are not normally in my wheelhouse Cheetor, but these are very nicely done...!  :-*
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
Nice brush work!  I've never been a big fan of GW-style Orks (or orcs), but these are well done.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
Orks (of any stripe) are not normally in my wheelhouse Cheetor, but these are very nicely done...!  :-*

...and...
Nice brush work!  I've never been a big fan of GW-style Orks (or orcs), but these are well done.

Thanks guys :)

Without getting into the pros and cons of GW Orks (or God forbid, of GW in general) I found these figures great fun.  They were very easy to assemble and convert and while many dislike the cartoonish faces I found them very enjoyable to paint.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
Nice work. I like the cyborg bits.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
Not a hope Im afraid :)  Our gaming group is pretty lenient with that rule ;)

How do you use it, did you just set a maximum number of passengers for each vehicle, is there unlimited capacity or can you just pile them on?

I've had lots of fun playing several Gorkamorka campaigns in the past, so have fun!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
How do you use it, did you just set a maximum number of passengers for each vehicle, is there unlimited capacity or can you just pile them on?

We havent played very much at this stage so we are still working out what suits us best.  We have tried all of the above so far. 

Currently we have settled on leaving a couple of the figures in the vehicle and informing the other players that X pile of guys is riding in that truck, like we would if using closed vehicles in pretty much any wargame.  Its not perfect, but it works adequately.

The most important thing is that we dont want our ruling to get in the way of an opportunity to convert or paint a fun figure (like the cyborks above).  We also dont want to have to make gigantic vehicles to accommodate figure bases and the like.

As its a group of only three or four of us who have all played games together for well over a decade we dont tend to get bogged down too much with things like that.  Gorkamorka is a goofy game and our goal is very much beer and pretzels fun.

I've had lots of fun playing several Gorkamorka campaigns in the past, so have fun!

We have a GoMo weekend planned next week.  If I get some half decent photos I will put them up.

Nice work. I like the cyborg bits.

Thanks.  I really cant say enough good things about the Kromlech resin bits.  Nicely designed, beautifully cast and with virtually zero clean up they are brilliant.  Once I painted the bits above up I immediately ordered the cyborg arms from Kromlech. 

They are really pleasant parts to work with and paint.  I highly recommend them.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the review. My post apoc settings will be seeing Cyborgs some time in the future so these will be handy for conversions.

Offline consectari

• Librarian
  • Rat King
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »
Really nice work.  Love the scrap counters.  What is that Frankenork made from?
All my best ideas are someone elses

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Really nice work.  Love the scrap counters.  What is that Frankenork made from?

Thanks.

Frankenork is made from a plastic Mek head, an ork boy left arm and a Heroquest ogre body and right arm. 

The Heroquest ogre came from an old  Heroquest expansion.  I traded with a mate for a few of the ogres a while back.

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
Sweet paint jobs.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
I like the way you have done the Yoofs.

Offline demi_morgana

• Mad Scientist
    • Miniatures, tutorials, gallery, swearing...
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Nice job - both pj and convos!
I remember I was trying to assemble Gorkamorka band some time ago and was really pi$$ed because of different size of models in WFB, GM and 40K... :?