Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Victorian Figures from Foundry  (Read 4506 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
New Victorian Figures from Foundry
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
BRAND NEW VICTORIANA!
GENTLEMEN & MISCREANTS Collection
Here are our latest Victoriana models!
From the dark side of Victorian life come evil Assassins, vicious Tongs and mad Anarchists spreading mayhem on the streets, while bloody Rippers terrorise the night! Valiantly opposing these forces of dread are stalwart ex military men, upstanding Gentlemen and armed Ladies of the Night! These models are perfect for any Victorian setting including the Victorian Science Fantasy worlds of H G Wells and Jules Verne!
This collection of Victorians includes; Armed Gentlemen, Ex Soldiers and Sailors, Chinese Tongs, Assassins, Rippers, Armed Ladies of the Night and Anarchists!

http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/collections/victoriana/victoriana/gentlemen_and_miscreants_collection_bcvc004/?sector_id=&utm_source=Foundry+Miniatures+Ltd+List&utm_campaign=3dbfb98ad9-GENTLEMEN_MISCREANTS_Collection6_7_2011&utm_medium=email
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: New Victorian Figures from Foundry
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
After a long period (years in fact) of releases I had no interest in, Foundry is knocking out Victorians faster than I can even think about painting them. The new set has quite a few figures I'm interested in.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Not really sure about this collection. The number of dubious sculpts seems to increase with each release. However, on saying that I prefer the Ripper pack to the previous version, as it's a bit more 'real' as opposed to fantastical. The last couple of collections really excited me, but this one not so much.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the link. I'm liking those ex-soldiers, they'll be joining the ranks of the militia.
Don't!

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
No doubt a few of those will find their way into VSF and Steampunk games, but I have to agree with psyberwyche, those are very pedestrian sculpts, and damned expensive prices if one takes postage into account.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Not Foundry’s best sculpts though some of them are interesting figures… but still too expensive for me…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
No doubt a few of those will find their way into VSF and Steampunk games, but I have to agree with psyberwyche, those are very pedestrian sculpts, and damned expensive prices if one takes postage into account.

I have always been ranting about Foundry pricing/postage/xchange rates but nowadays I buy Foundry miniatures from Caliver Books in £ with free postage in Europe. Worst case is then £11 for 5 figs. Expensive but not that bad...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
Not overly impressed.
Foundry used to be special, even spectacular. But these are rather staid.

The Armed Gentlemen and Armed Ladies of the Night aren't anything in particular, and the ex soldiers and sailors look a bit too clean and tidy.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Have to agree that a lot of these Victoriana sculpts are iffy (for Foundry) and when one takes into consideration the cost the whole package isn't too attractive. However, there are some interesting subjects not covered by other manufacturers so I have to admit I'm interested in one or two packs.  My main concern is regarding the size of these models.  How do they scale in with Westwind or Artizan, for instance?

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
Have to agree that a lot of these Victoriana sculpts are iffy (for Foundry) and when one takes into consideration the cost the whole package isn't too attractive. However, there are some interesting subjects not covered by other manufacturers so I have to admit I'm interested in one or two packs.  My main concern is regarding the size of these models.  How do they scale in with Westwind or Artizan, for instance?
They scale up just fine, just about all the same size, I use all 3 in Old West & I'm very picky about scale.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
but still too expensive for me…

Amen! And now with 5 figures instead of 6....
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
but still too expensive for me…

Amen! And now with 5 figures instead of 6....

Are they really that expensive? 5 figures for £10 is £2 each!

Thats cheaper than individual figures from, off the top of my head, Crooked Dice (£3/4 each), Reaper (£3+), Artizan (£2.20 each) to name a few - all of whose stuff I have bought in the past!

What is crippling from Foundry is the postage, but as Traveller stated you can find deals on postage from third parties.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Are they really that expensive? 5 figures for £10 is £2 each!

Thats cheaper than individual figures from, off the top of my head, Crooked Dice (£3/4 each), Reaper (£3+), Artizan (£2.20 each) to name a few - all of whose stuff I have bought in the past!

What is crippling from Foundry is the postage, but as Traveller stated you can find deals on postage from third parties.

Quite true actually. The trouble is I'd want to use Foundry for building up units which makes things pretty expensive.  I'd use most of the others for characters or skirmish forces etc, which makes the higher price more acceptable.

Copplestone, Perry and Empress work out better value for units, even with the option of buying Foundry from Caliver etc. They are also more consistent in their quality, which is a problem Foundry suffers from these days  :(

I'd always consider Foundry, but they are no longer the number one choice.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
yeah the ex soilders have good old west crossover value too!