Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Judge Dredd Stuff: Emerald Isle Judge 16/03/14  (Read 28098 times)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Re: Cheetor Judge Dredd Stuff: UPDATE Sep '11 Judges and Jimp
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
Lovely selection of Dredd-verse minis - love the paintwork and colours chosen - very 4-colour printing: a very good thing!. :)

Caligula and Judge Fish are probably my favourites. :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Cheetor Judge Dredd Stuff: UPDATE Sep '11 Judges and Jimp
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Whoah... just browsed the Mongoose website to find the jimp... and what a surprise! Totally re-vamped site since my last visit  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Cheetor Judge Dredd Stuff: UPDATE 21/9/11 Judges and Jimp
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
 Mongoose have just update the miniatures section with lots of old miniatures.Nice Klegg in there too.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 02:17:59 AM »
Lovely stuff, Cheetor, as always, and that's a great shot of the whole group (love those holocaust suits). I think you capture the black/blue colour from the comics really well, and the yellow, of course is spot on - so tough to paint a good yellow too, so it's twice as impressive.
Any more thoughts/progress on the terrain front? I ask because I'm on the brink of doing a Death Race type game in 28mm, and I'm thinking of terrain - grubby, industrial, urban terrain. Got me thinking MC1 of course!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 04:04:31 AM »
Great work - especially on the yellow.  For some reason I have an urge to paint some of my old gw arbites :)
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

very 4-colour printing

The four colour, comic book look was deliberate.  I have had quite enough ret-conned, re-imagined, deconstructed comic book stuff thank you very much.  These guys are supposed to look as comic book and even cartoony as I can get away with.  Im glad that a comics fan like yourself approves :)

Lovely stuff, Cheetor, as always, and that's a great shot of the whole group (love those holocaust suits). I think you capture the black/blue colour from the comics really well, and the yellow, of course is spot on - so tough to paint a good yellow too, so it's twice as impressive.

Thanks.  Painting the yellow is a pain. Close inspection reveals flaws but on the whole I am pleased with how it came out.

The blue/black undersuits are fine as is (even if the highlights are are a bit crude in places) but if I were to do it all over again I would probably uses the slightly brighter undersuit colours that I used on the Jimp.  They pop a little better.

Any more thoughts/progress on the terrain front? I ask because I'm on the brink of doing a Death Race type game in 28mm, and I'm thinking of terrain - grubby, industrial, urban terrain. Got me thinking MC1 of course!

I am currently concentrating my terrain efforts on post apoc, Cursed Earth type stuff at the moment, although I am stockpiling bits for use for a sci-fi urban setting.  The approach that I am likely to take for the urban stuff is a bit retro, with a lot of polystyrene packing elements with various amounts of set dressing on them being the current plan.

I have a couple of scans at home from a White Dwarf from 1988 or so that show a crude but somewhat charming table that was used for a JD game at Games Day back then.  That is the sort of thing that I am going for.  I will put up them up here when I get a chance.

I wont get to that terrain until 2012 at least though.

Great work - especially on the yellow.  For some reason I have an urge to paint some of my old gw arbites :)

I picked up the current Arbites box from GW a few weeks back.  I hope to use them as a heavily armoured assault squad or similar.  I will paint them in the same scheme as these guys.

I never picked up either of the earlier sets of Arbites sculpts, which I regret.  I would love to get them some day.

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
I can hear a call of "paint me" coming from the garage. Must be those old GW Dredd figures I have sitting... Or maybe the 15mm laserburn not-judges!! Will I get distracted again thanks to your wonderfully painted figures????

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
I remember that board from White Dwarf, Cheetor! Until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten about it, of course.

Looking forward to the next installment, as always.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
I forgot to include this goofy piece of terrain that I threw together a few weeks back.  I did a headswap on a Heroclix Judge.  I wasnt sure what to do with the leftover helmet but then I thought about the poster for a fan made short Dredd movie that has been doing the rounds and stuck this together:

The letters are scorched into ice pop sticks with a soldering iron.  The sign is based on this:

The paint job needs another highlight.  I will get around to it the next time that I am painting terrain.  A kinda fun little side reference that helps to plonk my post-apoc terrain in the Dredd-verse.

I was PM'ed about a color breakdown for the Judges. I decided that I might as well put it here it here in case anyone else wants to see it.

-------------------------------------------------------

All paints are thinned with water to varying degrees.  I used a black undercoat.

Blue (undersuits)
*Drybrush Necron Abyss
*Highlight undersuit GW Mordian Blue
*The Holocaust Suits got another small highlight of an unknown slightly brighter blue as they were supposed to be a solid material rather than leather/spandex.

Green
*GW Knarloc Green drybrush
*Wash with 50:50 water/Tamiya Clear Green mix.  GW Thraka Green would probably do the same thing. TCG is nice and vivid though.
*Highlight Warzone Scrub Green (its a bit like GW Camo Green I think)

Yellow
*GW Iyanden Darksun (two or three coats, thinned a bit but not too much or painting it saps my will to live)
*Wash left shoulder with the old ('80s) GW orange ink.  I dont know if Coat D'arms or anyone else currently make an equivalent or not.
*Layer with Model Color Flat Yellow (a couple of coats again)
*Layer/edge highlight MC Flat Yellow/white mix

Red
*GW Mechrite Red
*Highlight with a bright read
*Wash 1:1 Tamiya Clear Red/water mix

Gold
*Game Color Glorious Gold
*Wash with GW Gryphonne Sepia
*Wash with GW Devlan Mud
*Light drybrush/highlight with old GW Shining Gold

Silver
*Model Color Gunmetal Grey
*GW Devlan Mud
*Old GW Mithril highlight

Grey (SJS shoulder and MkI Lawgiver)
*Warzone Praetorian Grey (slightly darker than GW Codex Grey)
*Highlight GW Astronomican Grey
*GW Devlan Mud Wash

Black (helmet and MkII Lawgiver)
*Edge Highlight Warzone Praetorian Grey

The stripes on the belt buckle are GW Blood Red over a white field. The top bar is Model Color Magic Blue. The "stars" are just dots of white on the top blue bar

I gloss varnished the helmets after matt varnishing the figures.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that will be of use to someone :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »
Ta la!   :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the Judge recipe - now I have no good reason to resist buying some Judge Dredd minis!
 lol

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetor Judge Dredd Stuff: UPDATE 18/1/12 Death & Mortis
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
After a painting drought of several months I finally got back to painting over Xmas.

My painting slump kicked in while I was in the middle of painting my Dark Judges so these guys sat staring at me half finished on the painting table since September.  I did a quick job on the remaining areas in December in an effort to clear the decks.  So, for better or for worse here are Judges Death and Mortis.

Waffle about colour choices and some additional shots on my blog here and here.

Comments and criticisms all welcome of course.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:05:11 AM by cheetor »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
Lovely!
 :-*

Good to see you have come out of the slump.  :)

Just checked out your blog.
Good stuff.
Love the 'Zombie of the Week' feature!
Inspired!
 :D

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
ah, Deadworlds finest  ;D nicley done,what Plans do you have for Judge Fear?The Heroclix one?

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Lovely!
 :-*

Good to see you have come out of the slump.  :)

Thanks.  To be honest my painting standard has slipped over the period.  I still dont feel like I am back up to the level that I was at before (regardless of how good or bad that is).  Its frustrating.

Just checked out your blog.
Good stuff.
Love the 'Zombie of the Week' feature!
Inspired!
 :D

I am glad that you liked it.  Although I have a lot of zeds painted, they have been done in various different ways over the last seventeen years or so, so the quality is up and down.  It is a fun exercise nonetheless.

ah, Deadworlds finest  ;D nicley done,what Plans do you have for Judge Fear?The Heroclix one?

Thanks.

Yep its the Heroclix Judge Fear up next.  I have it finished but it was (appropriately) a nightmare to complete.  Obscured detail, odd sculpting, big fat hands.  Judge Fear may have singlehandedly caused my painting drought as it was such a frustrating project.

Thanks for the feedback.