Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Which is your preferred gaming scale for sci-fi/near future skirmish gaming

28's
114 (84.4%)
15's
16 (11.9%)
6's
2 (1.5%)
Other
3 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Scale poll for skirmishing  (Read 7517 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scale poll for skirmishing
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
I voted for OTHERS, as like Dr. Falkenhayn I like skirmish gaming with 40mm miniatures....

I have quite a collection of 40mm Flash Gordon miniatures and and am currently working on an Ancient Greek/Greek Mythology 40mm project.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
IF  ::) I was to redo my miniatures (at age 61,  ;) unlikely,) I think I would stick with 6 mm (aka to some as 1/300th) for non-RPG infantry skirmishes, 1/600th for Aircraft/AFVs/Combined Arms, and 1/6000th for naval games.  Space for my retirement years is driving much of my downsizing.

Of course RPGs at that scale would be "interesting" but I have no plans to return to RPGs ever again...

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:06:06 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:37 AM »
Many thanks again for the replies and the votes chaps  :)

God's true scale, James. Surely you never thought you'd get any other response here?  ;)  lol

Can we expect some post-apocalyptic Oshiro offerings, some time soon?  :)

lol But of course, just thought I'd ask though  ;)

I must admit I'm a bit surprised that there weren't more 15mm votes, I've had a look at the 15mm offerings and they are quite plentiful  :)

Not post-apoc, something a bit cleaner but with post-apoc potential if it goes well.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »
I think a lot of us old geezers are held hostage by legacy collections. I play 28 mm games exclusively, but would looove to shrink my collection to 15 mm for storage and gaming real estate purposes.

If I ventured into a new setting (in my case, anything not high fantasy) I'd probably go for 15 mm, maybe even 10 mm. I have some 28 mm star wars plastic prepaints, and two handfulls of the EM4 future wars stuff for dormant projects in the planning stage. The more I think about it, the more sense it would make to shift to a smaller scale for my scifi gaming.

And then I look at the old Rogue Trader adventurers and pirates and start dribbling and frothing... ;)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
The one true scale of course ;)

Yes indeedy!

Plus, it's the smallest size I have any chance of seeing clearly enough to paint half-decently :(

I did buy a Perry 40mm 95th Rifleman at the Triples B&B recently though and if I had the time space and money I'd love to skirmish in this scale.

15mm would be a good compromise for doing a "travel" game to take on holiday etc.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
I have FAR too much stuff in 28 mm (some 25) to consider changing scale - like Ironworker I prefer my gaming stuff to be as versatile/multi-use as possible, and wouldn't want to have to make new stuff in another scale.

Only exception is mass battle games, where I happily accept smaller scales - but not skirmish.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 03:22:25 AM »
My vote went to 28mm for my ATZ (and other zombie games). Though I do have some 15mm figures in various states of painting that I intend to use one day as a travel figure set, for those times where it's not feasible for me to take my 28mm minis with me.

As for 28mm, my figures actually range in size from 25/28mm to about 32/35mm (some of the Hero/Horrorclix). Once you get going and using the different scaled figures while you might notice the difference in heights you don't really notice it like you might think one would, especially since as in real life everyone is of a different height.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
28mm for me...however if it were a complete range with gucci sculpts I may consider dropping to 20mm something akin to Dark Futures minis from Citadel of old for example.

The other factor is what you are pitching it at e.g. apocalyptic, near future or hi tech may also sway me that and if it ws self contained package might draw me from 28mm but it would need to be special :)

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
28mm, always :D

as LTD says before tho, if it's a selfcontained game with ace sculpts, i'd go for that instead,
GW's inquisitor with it's large versions of models available in 28 (35)mm scale, got played with the smaller cheap figures tho ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
I've been considering Kings of War, and also War of the Ring in 10 mm  lol

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
28mm is probably the best bet given the existing market, terrain availability and general prejudices  ;)

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
Well 15mm for skirmish play in SF is the only size that makes sense in terms of trade off between figure scale to ground scale.

On your average kitchen table you don't even get out of the Bar in 28mm if you are using a 1 to 1 figure vs ground scale.  So the shoot out in Docking Bay 93 is pretty much out of the question unless you have the dor at one side of the table and the ramp at the other. With 15mm there is so much more room.

Then there is the price differential while one can still find deals for old lines that are 25mm, 28mm is vastly more expensive than 15mm figures. For the average price of most 28mm SF figures I can buy 2 squads in 15mm for one figure in 28mm.

And, 12 years ago when I was looking around for character figures there weren't any except for 40k and I  want some more SF and less gothic and 15mm was about the only place it existed. There where legacy 25mm and 15mm, but very little in 28mm (it was pretty much 40k and not much else, and they where purging their lines of anything that wasn't gothic). Then I got a very good deal on the old RAFM/Citadel Traveller 15mm and that is all she wrote.

Then there is the vehicle selection... But that is a whole 'nother can-o-worms, lets just say there where far more SF vehicles available at that point than the narrow selection offered by GW. I nearly went to 20mm over this issue, but there where no figures for SF 20mm that I could find at that point.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »
God's true scale

surely you mean 15mm!

I voted for it. There are many scales but 15mm is the true scale.

Burn the 28mm heretics lol

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
28mm For sure.

Don't shoot until you can see the whites of their eyes ...  :D
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
I game in many sizes/scales...but I have always found that small skirmish games are more enjoyable with the larger sized figures. It also always for a smaller yet more detailed game table.

Pete

BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au