Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie help, re Rules for skirmishing Seminole Indian War  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
Newbie help, re Rules for skirmishing Seminole Indian War
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
Hi, dipping my toe in a few new topics at the moment, after checking out the excellent 500 nations range from Conquest mini's and ordering a few samples i'm looking for a set of suitable skirmish rules for the period. I'm guessing that the use of muskets and the close terrain of the everglades should make it a less one sided affair than later plains war scenarios. Anybody have suggestions for rules taking into account muskets as opposed to repeater and colt's etc. I'm thinking of about 20 or so figures a side for a game.

Would the like of Foundry's rules with no name be a viable option?, do they have options for musket weaponry etc ?, all help and pointers for researching this period further very much appreciated, I have the Osprey title, but does anybody have any ref points for painting guides for the seminole tribes?

I will be using the Boot Hill fig range for the US troops and settlers.

This clip inspired me to get the ball rolling at long last on the project,

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2895

Many thanks in advance for any help re this.

Cheers

Jon

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Newbie help, re Rules for skirmishing Seminole Indian War
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
Osprey - Men at Arms 288_-_American_Indians_of_the_Southeast :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:16:09 AM »
This Very Ground -- Iron Ivan Games  (Small units of 5 or more men; French and Indian War rules but would seem to work for any black powder skirmish)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
I have a set of the Foundry Horse and musket rules, which were aimed more at this period, if you P< me your email I can send them to you.
Great rules, have had many a fun game.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:45 AM »
Legends of the Old West with the Alamo Sup. would work well for small scale skirmishes in this period.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
This Very Ground -- Iron Ivan Games  (Small units of 5 or more men; French and Indian War rules but would seem to work for any black powder skirmish)

Either This Very Ground or Sharp Practice  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
For games of 20 figures a side or less I don't think TVG or Sharp Practice would work very well. I'd be looking at something more like Ganesha's Song of Drums and Shakos, Rattrap's "Among the War Parties" or the Legends of the Old West w/ Alamo suggestion mentioned above. Just my opinion, though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:26:11 PM by Aaron »

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys i will be chasing them up, something along the lines of a combination of something like Legends of the old west or Rules with no name with French Indian Wars rules reflecting the close wooded nature of the terrain methinks. However looking forward to exploring this further, thanks again. :D

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »
I like the elegant simplicity of Songs of Drums and Shakos for the Seminole Wars. Very little table clutter, just three rods used for all measurement. The combat system is the most subtle I've seen that uses a single die roll for each opponent. It uses a variety of pluses and minuses to both dice, with the ratio between the two determine the result.

Rick

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
If you go the Sharp Practice route, the 2009 Two Fat Lardies Christmas Special has a specific article about the Seminole Wars, with troop lists and a whole bunch of random event cards and the like. Worth checking out, for inspiration if nothing else.

A few of my painted Conquest Seminoles here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=17379.0

And a scratchbuilt Seminole chickee (not by me though): http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21645.0

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:41 PM »
Many thanks again guys, Oxiana those seminoles are stunning, they actually inspired me to at long last put in an order for some packs of Conquest's Seminoles while they are having their current sale, hopefully have some pics up when i get some painted up, won't be as good as those though.

I'm using Lardie's rules for my SCW gaming and I like the layout so will certainly be looking into the Christmas special. Does anybody know if Trent miniature's Caribean Maroons match up size wise with Conquest figs?, want to use some of the Trent figures for escaped slaves.

Cheers.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
Many thanks again guys, Oxiana those seminoles are stunning, they actually inspired me to at long last put in an order for some packs of Conquest's Seminoles while they are having their current sale, hopefully have some pics up when i get some painted up, won't be as good as those though.

I'm using Lardie's rules for my SCW gaming and I like the layout so will certainly be looking into the Christmas special. Does anybody know if Trent miniature's Caribean Maroons match up size wise with Conquest figs?, want to use some of the Trent figures for escaped slaves.

Cheers.

Thanks – I have a few more finished, but not yet photographed. By neat coincidence, I have some of the Trent stuff painted up as well, for a different project. See this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=31733.15

Trent produce great minis, and very competitively priced. In terms of scale, they'd be pretty well matched heightwise, although the Trent sculpts are slightly chunkier than the Conquest minis, which are pretty slender as far as 28mm goes. On the balance of things however, I really don't think you'd notice. My Seminole collection also has stuff from Boot Hill, Foundry Old West (which are quite small), Redoubt (which are relatively large) etc. All slightly varied, but once you've got the unifying factor of a paint and base job, they all play quite well together.

Don't forget that Conquest do Black Seminoles too – more beautiful sculpts. With a simple bit of greenstuff, you can also press their Sauk & Fox into service as well.

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
I encourage you to post photos of your Fox/Sauk conversions. You work is exceotional. I have looked at the photos on the Conquest Miniatures website and wondered about their suitability for Creeks or Seminoles.

Rick

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »
Love to see more examples of your work Oxiana, and some of your conversions. I will certainly be using the boot hill minis for the volunteers and the New Orleans Greys as regulars. One thing I was thinking of is using Mutineer Minis British Indian Mutiny Naval Brigade as US Navy, with additional support being provided by Empress Minis Naval Rocket troop from their New Zealand Maori range. Don't think they actually used rockets in the Seminole campaigns, however the model is simply to good to pass on!

Empress Minis Rocket troop.

British Naval Brigades from Mutineer Miniatures, uniform s and sennet hats appear to tie in with illustration in Osprey's Seminole Wars.

Cheers

Jon
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:10:16 PM by Jonboy »

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
I encourage you to post photos of your Fox/Sauk conversions. You work is exceotional. I have looked at the photos on the Conquest Miniatures website and wondered about their suitability for Creeks or Seminoles.

Rick

You're very kind, thanks. I don't have any photos though, sorry – my minis are currently in storage as I'm abroad for work.

The conversions are pretty straightforward though – it's mostly a case of changing the leggings slightly, and adding a turban as a head-covering (with a feather, for effect). I think I converted about eight or nine of the available Sauk & Fox minis – the rest weren't quite so good. The rifles for the Sauk & Fox are possibly a bit early for some Seminole gaming, although the first war was in 1812, and I'm sure that there would have been some old muskets floating around Florida at this time. Horses for course if you ask me. They certainly look OK on my table!