Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691093
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ball Tanks  (Read 8610 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Ball Tanks
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone has shared this link or not yet.

More funky tank designs.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/11/strange-tanks-part-2.html
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Ball Tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »
Now, I assume it´s meant to be humorous?!? Otherwise, classifying something as obvious and simple as a Gruson-Turm as an unmotorised 1-man minitank throws serious doubt on the rest of the stuff.

Love those spheroid tanks, though.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Ball Tanks
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »
It seems to be mostly a "Hey, aren't these weird!!" with no attempt to find out more about them.

The spheroid tanks are cool, though.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Ball Tanks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:43 AM »
Another armored monster vehicle for all fantasy fans out there: MarienWagen Gepanzert was ordered by frantic Germans (who just saw first British tanks used at Somme) in 1915, designed by Hugo G. Bremer and built by Daimler. In all, 10 such "tanks" were made, equipped with two machine-guns and two 20mm cannons Bekker AA

And there I was thinking the Somme was in 1916....

Outwardly, the T-35 looked like the English A1E1 "Independent" five-turret tank:

English? English? Theres no such thing as a blasted English tank you buffoon of a man! Its British. Really, can you not tell the difference? Britain is the country and England is one quarter of it. Do they not have geography in America? Or did it stop in the 1950's?

To be honest the article looks like more of a Google-article than anything serious. The TOG series isn't even mentioned for example! I think Pete has him bang to rights there.
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Ball Tanks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:51 AM »
Quote from: "xeoran"
Another armored monster vehicle for all fantasy fans out there: MarienWagen Gepanzert was ordered by frantic Germans (who just saw first British tanks used at Somme) in 1915, designed by Hugo G. Bremer and built by Daimler. In all, 10 such "tanks" were made, equipped with two machine-guns and two 20mm cannons Bekker AA

And there I was thinking the Somme was in 1916....

And here I thought the unidentified Gruson-Turm was bad. Must have missed that one.

Outwardly, the T-35 looked like the English A1E1 "Independent" five-turret tank

English? English? Theres no such thing as a blasted English tank you buffoon of a man! Its British. Really, can you not tell the difference? Britain is the country and England is one quarter of it. Do they not have geography in America? Or did it stop in the 1950's?

Doesn´t really matter, as it´s the English king who would want to use it to flatten your flower patches. So better get that 2nd-amendment-covered bazooka out of your weapons shed.

To be honest the article looks like more of a Google-article than anything serious. The TOG series isn't even mentioned for example! I think Pete has him bang to rights there.

Humm, Pete is more of the Dinosaur expert, isn´t he? Maybe he can get one of his Tyrannosaur buddies to eat the author? Or, failing that, some of his civil servant colleagues. Equally scary, methinks. ;)

I have to say, though, we should calm down a little. We´re starting to sound like TMPers.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Ball Tanks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:55:35 AM »
From TMP tothe WarTornUniverseOfTheFuture  :lipps:

An equally rotund, if only in two dimensions, Chaos Doomwheel, built in Epic (6mm) scale. See, even discarded clicky bases have their uses.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Ball Tanks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:15:48 AM »
Britain is the country and England is one quarter of it. Do they not have geography in America? Or did it stop in the 1950's?

Didn't you know? In the US geography starts in New England and ends in California. There is some hockey going on above that and some nice resorts spots south of it. The rest is just ...filler. Alaska and Hawaii qualifies as astronomy along with the moon. ;-)

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
Ball Tanks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:51:53 AM »
My favorite is the Russian KV-VI... the most funny thing is the "reference list" in the source he quoted: http://www.track-link.net/gallery/119
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Ball Tanks
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Doesn´t really matter, as it´s the English king who would want to use it to flatten your flower patches. So better get that 2nd-amendment-covered bazooka out of your weapons shed.

Being British I don't have the luxury of bazookas. Merely a cucumber sandwich, good old English pluck and a ploughmans lunch. :wink:

I admit I get a little irate over the English/Britain thing. Itreally isn't taught. Some poor chappie over on the Mongoose forums actually asked about the Scottish army in WW2. It had to be broken gently that it was part of the British army...

I have to say, though, we should calm down a little. We´re starting to sound like TMPers.

Urrrk! :o

(He used the  'T' word!)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Ball Tanks
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »
You're all sounding just fine so try not to hyperventilate.  :lol:

And I'll be the first to admit that facts in American education are secondary to faith (well that's the way it seems now anyway.)

But I really just wanted to post the pictures of tank designs. If I want facts, I'll actually read about them in a book, the web is for finding pretty pictures and sometimes a general overview of a topic.  :mrgreen:

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
Ball Tanks
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
I admit I get a little irate over the English/Britain thing. Itreally isn't taught. Some poor chappie over on the Mongoose forums actually asked about the Scottish army in WW2. It had to be broken gently that it was part of the British army...

Speaking as a "foreigner" (from the British perspective) I never understood why there are Rugby  teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, etc. Same in football. Shouldn´t it there be a Great Britain  side for these sports? Never got that one.

But yes, the confusion abounds. Especially in ww2 wargaming, mainly because even learned persons tend to know that some Divisions were formed from geo-specific personnel and call them "Scottish force" or "Welsh force",etc.

What I´ve been taught (here in Portugal) is that Great Britain is a country, formed of four nations. Is this the correct interpretation?

Cheers,
Pedro

EDIT: Cleared up the text a bit.
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Ball Tanks
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"
See, even discarded clicky bases have their uses.

I am so stealing this idea.  8) Up to this point I thought Clicky bases were just garbage!

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
Ball Tanks
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »
:o  :o  :o  :love:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Ball Tanks
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:07 PM »
The reason we don't have one sports team for those sports is that we are all so nationalistic. We're like the Balkans, only slightly more polite to one another.

It's like a mini-Empire made up of various different nationalities who can't stand each other. Sort of like Habsburg Austria-Hungary before it fell apart in 1918.

Unlike the Balkans, we seem to have got the "killing each other" part of Nationalism out of our system (fingers crossed for Ulster on that point). We restrict our violent urges to the sports field on the whole.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
Ball Tanks
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
The reason we don't have one sports team for those sports is that we are all so nationalistic. We're like the Balkans, only slightly more polite to one another.

It's like a mini-Empire made up of various different nationalities who can't stand each other. Sort of like Habsburg Austria-Hungary before it fell apart in 1918.

Suspected as much :) Is that a prediction?  :wink: