Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1863, somewhere in Virginia...now with added battle pictures!  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
1863, somewhere in Virginia...now with added battle pictures!
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
Phil and I are having an all day game tomorrow to 'celebrate' the impending publication by Foundry Miniatures of my ACW ruleset ~ Bull Run to Gettysburg.
Here are a few taster shots of the initial table layout and some details to wet your appetite. All the figures and terrain are from my own collection. I hope to post more Battle pictures tomorrow...

A view of the tabletop ~ a cheap spoiler for the rules!

The Union Command ~ Front Rank 'Burnside', others from Dixon Miniatures.

Confederate Command ~ all by Dixon Miniatures.

A Signal Post ~ building from Dave Paddock's Architectural Heritage range {now JR?}, figures from Redoubt, Signal Tower from Mainly Military{?}, fencing by The Last Valley.

"We have a cunning plan..."
Tents from Ian Weekley's old Battleground range, figures from Dixon and Foundry.

A Presidential visit?

All Quiet along the Potomac Tonight?
Figures by Foundry, Redoubt and Dixon.

By the dawn's early light...
Confederate battlelines ready to move off on the command. Dixon Miniatures on the whole.

The Confederate battleline waits tensely for the order to advance...
Figures by Dixon Miniatures.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:25:39 PM by Yankeepedlar01 »
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: 1863, somewhere in Virginia...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Mightily looking forward to this.

Gen. Archibald Huttless CSA

:D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Some product placement in Picture 1 again.   :D

Is there no stopping this wargaming mogul?   :o

...and I just read his July blog, is there no wargaming company untouched?  ???

Nice one Dave, enjoy the day, Phil.   ;)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »

Cool stuff. I really like Dixon's ACW figures... despite their pumpkins heads lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
Cool stuff. I really like Dixon's ACW figures... despite their pumpkins heads lol

Yup everyone notices the pumpkin heads, not many mention that if the figure is armed with a Sharps rifle for instance it looks like a Sharps rifle not some nondescript firearm, the belt buckles have US or CSA on them, the clothes look like 1800's clothing not tailored Georgio Armani suits and pumpkin heads they may be but they do look like Civil War soldiers. Rant over ;).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »

That's not a rant. Barely a depiction of facts. They are the most historically accurate ACW figures around IMHO. My only "criticism" is that they are a little small compare to today’s standards…
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:08:08 AM by Calimero »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:15:27 AM »
I've found, looking at the Dixon's I own, that in many cases it's not that the heads are too big but that the legs are too short, which drastically alters the proportions of the whole figure.  Easy enough to fix for a vignette or diorama but I wouldn't want to do it to a whole army!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:45:39 AM »
Lovely photos David.

As I've said elsewhere, photos of your ACW collection in past issues of WI have been a source of inspiration for more years than I care to remember  lol

At least I know what to ask for, for Father's Day  :D

Cheers,

Barry

PS: Good Blog entry as well.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
Barry, thanks for the kind comments. As a writer you always wonder if anyone at all reads your stuff...
Its funny in our hobby how different folk have such widely differing views of figures, rules and the like. I think I chose Dixon figures when I embarked on my fourth incarnation of the ACW because I liked the many head varriants ~ it helped to assuage the boredom of painting 20 figures who all looked the same.  o_o Mind you, over time you began to notice how many RELee or Meade look-alikes some units contained... ;)
Of course today there are so many wonderful ranges to pick from: Foundry, Perry, Redoubt, Dixon, Renagede, Old Glory and so on that we ACW affecionados are really spoiled for choice. The important thing, I think, is to concentrate on the positives of the figures you choose; whether its details, poses, costs or whatever and accept we'll never all choose the same thing...
David

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 1863, somewhere in Virginia...now with added Battle scenes!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »

General Archibald Huttless, aka Phil, gets to grips with the rules...

On the Rebel left the infantry sweep forward...

The Irish Brigade holds the Union right flank.

While New York troops hold the centre and left supported by some Regulars and US Sharpshooters.

Fierce fighting develops in the Union centre...

While on the Union right the Irish carry the bridge at the third attempt...

Though outgunned, the Union artillery has the best of the exchanges...

And at the climax of the game, the US Sharpshooters and New York troops drive off the third Rebel assault...

Leaving the Irish to finish off the Rebel right flank...
All in all a great game, swinging first one way and then the other. We played eleven turns in just about four hours, though we did stop for lunch and a beer....
Hope you enoyed the thread.
David & Phil
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:24:28 PM by Yankeepedlar01 »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: 1863, somewhere in Virginia...now with added battle pictures!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
AMERICAN CIVIL WAR OPEN DAYS!
 FRIDAY 12th & SATURDAY 13th AUGUST
To celebrate the release of Foundry’s new American Civil War rulebook, ‘Bull Run to Gettysburg’, we will be throwing our doors open once again on Friday 12th & Saturday 13th of August!

For those who want to get a feel for this fast paced game, we will be running two special scenarios on Friday and Saturday. Gaming starts on Friday at 11am and 2pm, and on Saturday at 11am, and anyone is welcome to come along and join in the action.

The author, Dave Bickley, will be with us on Friday 12th and will be happy to discuss all things ACW related. So come and have a chat and pick up a signed copy of his new book.

We have also restocked our bargain bins to overflowing with a great selection of discontinued and bargain blisters and paints! Refreshments are on offer as always, and doors will be open 10am until 4pm on Friday, and 10am until 2pm on Saturday.

For those who register with us in advance we now have free parking!
(email sales@wargamesfoundry.com and let us know you want to register for free parking at the open day)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
Phil does look good sporting a kepi.  :)

Another proper wargame from the master ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »
Another proper wargame from the master ;D
Thanks Nic, that's a very kind sentiment. Always enjoys pics of your San Antonio games too.
David