Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the Battle of Adowa 1896 in 6mm Pictures added  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
Re: the Battle of Adowa 1896 in 6mm Pictures added
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
most of the Abyssinians units are now repulsed, some in rout , others going back ; the heavy artillery fire has asked the toll.

when even the Negus' guards retreat, after three unsucesseful attacks the battle is over

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
Albertone askaris parading and doing "fantasia" when the negus' army retreat

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
full details of the battle will follows soon.

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »
really looking forward to seeing this!!

regards
Ged

www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com
and 28mm :)

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
here the report of the wargame battle

At 11,30 the two armies where facing each other.
The Abyssinian launch a general attack, a column of Negus Guards and  Queen Taitu’ warriors try to outflank  the left of Italian front, turning behind the Albertone’s  brigade.

The Italian artillery start a general bombardment on the advancing units.
The first to receive fire where the units of Ras Mangasha’ and Alula on Italian right. When these  warriors reach fire contact they were under heavy artillery and rifles fire . it was  impossible to resist , and when   Ras Alula  was killed the unit fall back in disorder.
In the centre the main attack where brought by warriors of Ras Michael (infantry and Galla cavalry behind) and Ras Makonnen  warriors.
Their movement converged on the central brigade of Arimondi, triyng to insert some units in the gap between Arimondi and Dabormida brigades.
Here too the artillery shrapnel  fire were impressive but despite that the warriors of Makonnen try to charge the guns and the infantry  at the centre of Arimondi brigade.
The Galla cavalry too try to charge , as they were without cover, as another unit of RAs Michael was in retreat.
The fight were severe but the artillery of the Arimondi and Dabormida brigade firing grapeshot repulsed the enemy units.
On the left (of the Italian front )  the main attack was brought by Fitaurari Gabrejehu followed by the Negus guards.
One of the Gabrejehu unit was stopped by artillery fire, the other unit try to advance until rifle range but losing the Fitaurari  himself ,but  reaching high losses were repulsed too.
The Negus guards reach quickly, skirmished by the Gabrejehu warriors, the front line of the Albertone brigade, but the massive artillery grapeshot and the fire from the askaris stopped them, the Guard became shocked but still resist shooting back to the enemy, when another volley of artillery and rifles put them in flight.
The Negus column ,that try to outflank the Albertone brigade , climb the hill on the far left flank and engaged against the Turitto Battalion and the Irregular band of Lt. Sapelli.
Another Guard unit ,covered by the first ,turned around Albertone brigade just to found the Italian cavalry  ( Hawk feather) and one battalion of Askaris ready for them.
The use of heliographs secure a good communications  for the Italian this time.
This was the end of the Abyssinian attack, most of the units were in flight or unwill to fight.

The total casualties  of the Abyssinians were around 20.000 warriors.
The Italians lost 800 soldiers;  It was a completely different battle from  the historical one.
The good point for the Italians were the decision to move on daylight, I calculated some kind of  penalties, but they reached their positions in time and deployed without the hurry to be attacked.
Another aspect was the use of heliograph , this keep the 4 brigades in contact, also the movement of them as a division, and not as independent brigades, was another good aspect.

What happened on the wargame field doesn’t seems so different from the real battle.
When the Italians were in positions and use the artillery most of the enemy units were stopped or forced to retreat. (These happened three times for the Albertone Brigade.)
Preventing the Abyssinians to outflank  the Italians units  has bring the fight to the Italians side.
56 artillery guns deployed on good positions , with enough ammunitions were too much for any proud warriors.( expenditure of guns ammunitions was ¾  of the available shots ).

For the strange things that happened on a wargame table ,  an Italian unit retreat when charged by the Abyssinians , without having taken any casualties , ( this show the inexperienced of various Italian white Battalions.)   the rule provides test for the units charged too .

The Negus guards, unit N. 1 of around 12.000 warriors, lost half of the figures and still toss 1 two times ( the best die result for morale purpose).

The performing fact of valour  was  done by  the 1 batt. Askaris of Maj. Turitto, that were charged by the double of his numbers, resisted and repulse the enemy down the hills in a rough firefight. His advantage was to be uphill, and a good die!  In fact they were awarded to do “ fantasia” at the end of the battle.

I have already refight Adwa, with some friends of mine, just on the 1st march of 1996 , centenary of the battle. We decide to refight the same battle, dividing the columns, and making all the wrong decisions taken that day.
We achieve  the same result, a disastrous for the Italians, we just managed to save a full brigade from the massacre retreating it in good order.

All in all an interesting battle, 4 hours battle time, done in the days of Thursday, Friday and Saturday, except the time that my wife and  my work took myself.

I hope you liked my photos and my efforts.

Offline vitriol

• Lurker
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Che meraviglia!!!!
Congratulation Piero (giusto vero?). You have realized a very likely account both in terms of table and in terms of account of this "great" battle, I'm absorbed in readings of that years and eager to wargame those battles.
see you soon (magari dal vivo)
luca

http://peanadipiombo.blogspot.it/