Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan FFL command packs/other future releases ?  (Read 23762 times)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Artizan FFL command packs/other future releases ?
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
I'm not a uniform expert, how similar are the Legion in sunhelmet figures to the marine infantry? I'm thinking of Boxer Rebellion here.

The Marine Infantry in China wore a light blue denim uniform with a tunic, whereas the Legion figures seem to be mostly in shirtsleeves or greatcoats. They also wore massive, thick white canvas gaiters (noticeably bigger than the Legion ones) coming up right to their knees. A cute little anchor on the helmet topped off the ensemble.

Thinking about conversions, the way the Artizan figures have been sculpted though doesn't really leave any room for a bigger gaiter unfortunately. The Marine gaiters were at least twice as long as the Legion ones, yet there is no room on the figure for that extra length.  ??? I think perhaps these fellows are a tad short in the lower leg. But that's really just the 28mm sculpting style all round, not a specific criticism of these particular figures.

I have a photo in a book here at home, but this sketch was the best I could find in a quick web search:

The sketch does match the uniform in the photo very well, except the guy in the photo has more gear, including a blanket roll over his shoulder.

I have seen a photo purporting to be from China of a Marine Infantryman in a dark tunic too, and he isn't wearing any gaiters at all. So I guess there may have been variations.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:18:31 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Couple of pics of the command group II and a tirraileur im working on, really liked painting the tirraileur to the extent im now planning a unit rather than the initial couple of figures to use as scouts.

Looking forward to the rest of the range.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Neat  :)

I f you wish to break the monotony of the all-white uniform, you can paint the helmet cover khaki - both white and khaki types were apparently used in the Sud-Oranais

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »
ooh timg I like those. :) I left off the sleeve insignia on my officer, you have put me to shame ;)

Neat  :)  I f you wish to break the monotony of the all-white uniform, you can paint the helmet cover khaki - both white and khaki types were apparently used in the Sud-Oranais
   Good idea. The 'melon' was issued from the 1880s in white only but from 1903 in khaki or white. Helmet covers were apparently banned during WW1 for sanitary reasons but I have seen photos from the 3rd Riff war (1920s) of them in use.

Hobbit-I echo plynkes' thoughts about about suitability of converting the legionaires to 'marsouins'. not really do-able. Old glory do some troupes de la marine in their boxer range but many of the poses are, (imho) woeful. sadly you cant pick individual figs from them so you have to take pot luck Im affraid. I would love to see colonial marines done by Mike for this range. Until the introduction of a tropical uniform in 1901, the FFL in Tonkin, Madagascar, and Dahomey were supplied to some extent by the navy. eg; at their arrival in Tonkin in 1883 the FFL arrived wearing covered kepi, red pants and blue greatcoats. within weeks these uniforms were efectively rotting and soon the troops were wearing a mix of locally made items and to a greater extent items originally destined for the marines. FFL cant double up as marines but marines can as Legionaires!!! (hint hint)

The old Osprey on the Boxer rebellion has a decent illustration of a french marine and a great posed uniform photo aswell. I would love to see a conversion if you can do it,(remember no waist sash), my sculpting skill wouldnt even come close. lol
Minima maxima sunt

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
I've got all the available packs photographed now, and most are painted (by Dave Woodward).

http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=21&page=1

Mike delivered more figures today, including the marching fully laden Legionaries.

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Any mules arrived yet? Look forward to seeing the new stuff.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »
Got part of the Mule pack, have you seen on our Facebook gallery?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.219548958074014.78334.218634441498799&type=3

The rest of the pack will be finished very soon.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Excellent, Nick. Mike also said something about doing a pack of legionnaires in greatcoats and 'melon' helmets. Are they part of the forthcoming release ? 

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »
Since we happen to be discussing it :

Dunno if it's the pic but the mule looks a bit small : more a donkey than a mule if you see what I mean. Love the legionnaires with greatcoats buttoned across the chest on the other hand.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Any news on the third Algerian pack(firing/advancing/loading) Mike mentioned?

Offline Mike Owen

• Assistant
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
Great to see the painted figures.
 If you have any decent pictures of the Marines I will happily add them in to the range. I am under way with the Moroccans so if any of you have suggestions for packs now would be a good time. The third Algerian pack are done along with a couple of packs of the French in the later Jacket.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »
Thanks Mike :) I'm  waiting for that last pack to place a order and my buddy has me getting a bunch of moors for him and is waiting too.Just wanted to be able to give him a update on the ETA.
Pete
oh yeah, what do the Moroccans look like? I'm not familiar with the era.TBO I'm using these for VSF.
My pack suggestion is 3 packs of four skirmish/advancing/loading/firing for a troop type.That way you can get two packs of each and some command to make a 26-30 man unit and only have one of each pose duplicated.Or a 16 man unit all unique.Or a 20 or 24 man unit with only a few duplicate poses.I usually look at any range like this.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:01:35 AM by fitterpete »

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
Received my first pack of these from North Star today, and lovely they are too, thanks.
I dont want to upset anyone waiting for all the historically correct figures, but is there any chance of a pair of character figures for this range something like these two recruits? Please?

http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
In a way you could class those two chaps as historical at this date in time! Would be nice to see them done by someone like Mike though and the Marines would be usefull for so many gamers and their schemes. How about some in their classic double breasted tunic, trousers, gaiters etc and with a choice of hats, sun helmets, kepis etc to give them even more variety? And dont forget a certain unt of foreigners who wore a lot of Marine uniforms ion Tonkin! Thus even more potential use for some Marines.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:09 AM »
What ever happened with the the Algerians,French in jacket and Morrocans?