Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building & terrain painting tutorials?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline benglish

• Bookworm
Building & terrain painting tutorials?
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:11:05 AM »
Hey all.

Wondering if anyone knows of any good resin building and/or resin terrain painting tutorials?  Never attempted it before, but the cost of painted buildings and terrain is inspiring me to get in gear and learn how to do it!

Thanks
benglish

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Building & terrain painting tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:02 AM »
don't know of any tutorials, but I do know this :
Always degrease resin models. Best way is to put it in the sink with some tepid water and detergent.
DO NOT put it in a dish washing machine !!! Resin gets soft at high temps and might deform.
A friend recently did this with some truely nice 15mm houses and the walls caved in (a little.)

Next step is cleaning up the model. never try to cut resin with a blade. It has a tendency to chip. Use files and sanding paper.
(Should you need to get rid of large chunks, you can always use a mototool)

Lastly, prime it. I use a spraycan of DIY-store house brand primer, but you could just as well brush on Gesso.

And you're ready to paint.

Another tip : If you're thinking of painting lots of pieces (read : lots of surface) you might want to look in to big bottles of paint.
I got 500 ml jars from Windsor & Newton (1 black and 1 brown) I use for undercoating.
The friend with the dishwasher uses tubes from DIY-store to paint up the whole model (and with nice results).
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »
If you're just starting building terrain you can't go far wrong than starting looking at Matakishi's website:
http://www.matakishi.com/makingthings.htm
Even if you don't use cork flooring tiles and use foamcore or whatever many of the principles are the same and will give you great basic buildings. Many of the principles of miniature painting apply to terrain making - patience (never rush a project) and repetition (practice makes perfect - even if you make a right old dog's bølløcks of a project, don't let that put you off, but learn from what went wrong and how to do stuff differently).
Duncan

Offline Lounge_Lizard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
@zizi666,
Why aren't we surprised about our friend? ;-)
Joking aside: also try:http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/painting.htm
Splendid techniques, easy and with stunning results.
Regards,
Henk

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
I know, you asked for advice for resin buildings, but nevertheless I agree with dijit - you can save even more by scratch-building, and the painting techniques are the same (plus, you avoid the nasty dust and fumes from the resin), if you are up to it (not the difficulty, but the work/time needed).

I havent done buildings, but I do the occational hill or sand dune, and of course tree/woodland bases, so I think that I can vouch for, that working with the materials needed, and getting nice results with even little practise, just some thought and patience, is not really difficult, you just need the time involved (and some proper tools, goes without saying).  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
@zizi666,
Why aren't we surprised about our friend? ;-)

lol

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
I just got some of the Armor cast modern buildings and was wondering what type of glue you guys would recommend for resin buildings?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Superglue for resin.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »
Ah, Armorcast resin...

Usually when I superglue something, I just put the parts approximately together and slide them around a bit to find the spot. When I did that with Armorcast bits, there was basically a snapping sound, just like letting two large neodymium magnets slam together. The effect was similar too. 0.01 seconds later nothing in this world could have take the bits apart again (except resin-shattering brute force). I've bought resin from numerous sources, but no other brand has gripped so quickly and permanently.

So yes, superglue definitely works. Just try to get it right on the first try, if your glue acts like mine did.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  At least that means they should stay together pretty well.