Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim Beastmen and thugs [PICS]  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Mordheim Beastmen and thugs [PICS]
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
Hello again adventurers! For thebinman I painted up some beastmen (six to be precise) for use in Mordheim. I also painted up some thugs which are pictured below. All models are mounted on 25mm washers. It's a bit of a chore to do and I still don't really trust the superglue connection but it does look good :)

On the Beastmen I went for a very bestial look with red and black details. On the shields I added eight pointed chaos stars so these beastmen can be used for any chaos god. My favourite is the one with the bow. He has a very bestial face and reminds me of the Island of Dr. Moreau. He also has one hoof and one normal foot, excellent!

As said I also painted up a bunch of thugs for Mordheim. These received paint jobs with faded, dirty colours and lots of stubbles to make sure they look like scum. I gave several of them a Clubs tattoo (like in the deck of cards: ?) to connect them in a theme. I though this was fitting for a gang only armed with clubs :). I love the dwarfs of this set and had a lot of fun painting them up!

This model was a bit damaged. I think his 'club' was originally an axe, hammer or mace whose head had been cut off. I painted it as a club. He also had a lump of milliput and glue residue on his back, so I cleaned him up and sculpted a pouch on his back using MagicSculp.

There is one Bugmans Ranger among the thugs who doesn't really belong but he would be too lonely on his own so I included him in the pictures. I painted the shirt (worn under the chainmail) and the shield blue as the client requested. I left the buff coat (worn over the chainmail) in a leathery colour as befits their background story. The shield design is a Bugmans Tankard in white painted on as a freehand.

Well, I hope you guys and gals enjoyed this update! I aim to paint about 50 models a week on a commission basis so don't hesitate to send me complete armies to paint ;)

Come to think of it, if you send me 50 models or more to paint I'll give you a 10% discount on your order!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Mordheim Beastmen and thugs [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
I really like! If I painted something that nice I don't think I'd be able to give it up.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
Awesome as always Pil....love the beastmen...I'm getting ready to do up a bunch of them myself so I have saved these images for future reference.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
Bloody marvellous.  Excellent painting on some great minis.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
I really like! If I painted something that nice I don't think I'd be able to give it up.

Yeah, painting for someone else requires a somewhat different mindset but the payment really helps. Also the models I paint are never mine to begin with, I'd have a harder time selling my own models painted. If I'd kept all the models people sent me I'd have a wonderful collection but of course no repeat customers ;)

Also, taking good pictures helps as I tend to look at the pictures of my own models more often than the actual models themselves. Of course you can't game with pictures (there's always a catch ;)).

Awesome as always Pil....love the beastmen...I'm getting ready to do up a bunch of them myself so I have saved these images for future reference.

Cheers,

Blue

Thanks! I'm glad to have inspired. I'm going to paint up lots more Beastmen for Mason so this was a good start.

Bloody marvellous.  Excellent painting on some great minis.

Thanks! I really like the collection thebinman has put together as well!  :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Yet more superb work, Pil!

The Beastmen look excellent and give me much inspiration to hurry up and get the bases done on mine and get them to you asap.

The work you have done on the thugs has made me want to get my own Nurgle-inspired Possessed warband done.
So many projects, not enough time........... ::)

I feel there will be plenty of people out there asking you to paint figures for them after seeing your latest work.
Just so long as you paint mine first!  ;)

(P.S. email you tomorrow regarding the Beastmen)

Keep up the good work, mate.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:22:34 AM »
Thanks, if you stumble upon any interested people be sure to send them my way! As I said I'm not working at my capacity yet and there's a lot of models I can paint in a week. That said, painting large volumes of course costs quite a bit of cash for the clients so I understand the hesitation 8)

In general I paint models in the order they come in and in which the deposit is paid. As I have no other stuff incoming you will be the first ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
That's quite a mix of minis. They do share the same level of coolness & benefit from your FINE finishing touch. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »
Well I came late to my own party (though I did get a preview)

Needless to say I'm more than happy and with some I am over the moon, for me the pick of the crop are:

/img]

I can't wait to get some more of the Holland!

THANKS A LOT

PS DEAFNALA I always love your use of BLOCKS and bold!!!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »
Well thanks for the business and for the praise! I look forward to seeing what else you can come up with to have painted (apart from more Bugmans Rangers I suppose :)). Among such a batch of varied figures there are always some that stand out and I have to say that I really like your picks, especially the beastmen are very fine models!

Offline Hendrid

• Librarian
    • ALBAtwo Warblog
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
Good looking figures, recognise a fair few and nice to see them again and nicely painted.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »
As always Pil, fantastic work!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games