Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Potential scottish BLAM event- MacLAM  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Potential scottish BLAM event- MacLAM
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
I should also point out that like the majority of scots I've never had any of the 'weird' combinations like the mars bar or the pizza (or the kebab). In fact until very recently the only place that I knew that sold the offending mars bar was a wee chip shop in the tourist village of Aberfoyle... and the only people I've ever seen eating it... yup you got it, tourists!

The kebab shop just along from my flat during my final year at Uni of Edinburgh (Babylon, opposite the Cloister bar at the west end of the Meadows) used to sell all the above to locals as well as us foreign students. Their lunch time school kids dinner was an eighth of a frozen pizza cooked in the deep fryer, with chips (salt 'n' sauce, naturally) and a can of juice (i.e. irn bru or coke). Madness!

A mate of mine also managed to persuade a chippy in Leith to batter and deep-fry his mcdonalds burger (including the bun  :o), but I'll admit that was a one-off  lol

Anyway, back on topic ->     games + being in Scotland = a good time for all  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
A few general thoughts derived from past experience of organising events (wargame and otherwise):

a) NO date is good for everyone;

b) many of the people who make the most fuss about not being able to attend will not turn up anyway after you have kindly changed the date to suit them;

c) so, subject to avoiding things likely to inconvenience everyone (eg days in 2012 when Glasgow is hosting Olympic events, thus clogging up roads, trains and hotels), ...

d) pick a date that suits you the organisers.  The rest of us will fall in as best we can.

Here we have a chap who knows what he is talking about.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
A few general thoughts derived from past experience of organising events (wargame and otherwise):

a) NO date is good for everyone;

b) many of the people who make the most fuss about not being able to attend will not turn up anyway after you have kindly changed the date to suit them;

c) so, subject to avoiding things likely to inconvenience everyone (eg days in 2012 when Glasgow is hosting Olympic events, thus clogging up roads, trains and hotels), ...

d) pick a date that suits you the organisers.  The rest of us will fall in as best we can.

Mr Steve,

Thank you for the advice, rest assured that it will be followed!

We won't announce a date until we've checked the venue suitability/availability, plus since its in scotland we'll want to make sure the brothers mac and myself can attend- sorry for being selfish guys but thats just the way it is!

But for further information, we've received a quote for the venue that we're extremely happy with. So now a wee visit to check the facilities and we'll get back to ya'll with a date.

Offline Captain Black

• Librarian
    • www.falkirkwargamesclub.orgouk
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »
Some of the lads from the Falkirk club would be interested in running a game with our 3 deck 8 foot long cardboard spaceship.We don't get a chance to use it alot :'(

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Some of the lads from the Falkirk club would be interested in running a game with our 3 deck 8 foot long cardboard spaceship.We don't get a chance to use it alot :'(

Nope, no, no chance sorry... None of us want to play on such an excellent, fantastic piece of scenery, not one of us!  ... lol just kidding!

Excellent how many people are interested?

Cheers
Andy

Offline Captain Black

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
I think i could get 4 or 5 guys from the Falkirk club to support such a fun event and run this game for anyone who would like to take part in it

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
I think i could get 4 or 5 guys from the Falkirk club to support such a fun event and run this game for anyone who would like to take part in it

Excellent, we're still very much in the planning stage, please stay tuned for more information.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
I think we're going to need a bigger venue!!!! :o :o

Offline Captain Black

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
As one of the guys who run the Carronade show here in Falkirk.If your event is after Saturday 5th May 2012 and you are doing flyer for this event please bring them to the show and we would be happy to hand them out to anyone interested in Maclam.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
As one of the guys who run the Carronade show here in Falkirk.If your event is after Saturday 5th May 2012 and you are doing flyer for this event please bring them to the show and we would be happy to hand them out to anyone interested in Maclam.

Thank you for the offer. Generally speaking the LAM series of events are pretty much exclusive to LAF members; not really the general public. It may be easier to think of it as a meeting of friends to play games as a wargames show. Usually the whole affair is invite only.  :)

That said we're a friendly bunch.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Big Frank

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
Sounds good, count me in.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
I think we're going to need a bigger venue!!!! :o :o

Nah, we just need to deep fry it, that solves everything right??

;D
Yvan eht nioj!