Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Defign "PULP" for me  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Defign "PULP" for me
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
It usually turns ugly on TMP because of me getting angry at wargamers' insistence that it means "Adventure in far-flung places in a 1930s setting." Yes, Pulp can be that. But that isn't all that it is.

It's my fault. There's one going on right now over there that I couldn't help getting argumentative on. I try not to, but I just can't help it.

Imbeciles! They're all imbeciles!

Edit: Oh dear, I just read Prof's definition on this board. I'll be quiet.

I can see where that defination would annoy me too.  For instance I'm working on an American pulp project set in places quite close to where I live but quite far flung for a lot of the other people on this  board.  Also the 1930s while a very pulpy era doesn't even represent when pulps were at their height.  Certainly pulp adventure stories are still being written.  I really like pulp settings from the start of WWI till the end of WWII but that's just my favorite.  I know there are pulp pirate stories and pulp cave man adventure and pulp sci-fi.  

Personally I think pulp is a priority in story telling.  It's putting action, adventure, character, attitude, and what you can dream ahead of plot, realism, and physics and what you know is true.  It's a daydream land and it is by it's nature more juvenile which is it's strong point.