Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anglo Zulu War Flags Empress Miniatures  (Read 4274 times)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Anglo Zulu War Flags Empress Miniatures
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
flagsofwar.com has produced some Queens Colours for the Anglo Zulu war for Empress Miniatures. These will be exclusivly sold via Empress on their website. Go check them out.

So far the following are available with more to come:

24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regt of Foot 2nd Battalion (AZW)
3rd Regt of Foot (East Kent  (Buffs) 2nd Battn
80th Regt of Foot (Staffordshire Volunteers)

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart6.htm

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:33:59 AM by flags_of_war »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: Anglo Zulu War Flags Empress Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Nice flags.  However, the colours were not carried in battle.

More importantly - The larger colours of the 24th and 3rd are incorrect.  The union flags on the Queen's Colours and the in the canton of the Regimental colours on the left of each print are upside down.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »
Well spotted Sherlock. The issue has already been fixed on the actual flags, it just need the images updated for the website which im sure will be done soon.

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »
Nice flags.  However, the colours were not carried in battle.

Don't be so sure....... the 1st/13th LI carried the Colours in the Battle of Ulundi/Ondini (the last time that Battalion carried them in action).......

I once read that Majuba Hill was the last battle were Colours were officially carried, but that was a long time ago when I read it, so maybe mistaken.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »
I'm really pleased to see these at last! The release covers two of my three British Regular units, just the 13th to wait for!
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »
Great looking colours

Colours not carried in battle?............So the capture of the 24ths at Isandlwana following the death of Lieutenants Melville and Coghill never happened.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
Oooops thats embarrassing and in the Queens Diamond Jubilee year. Off to the Tower for us.  :(

The regiments did carry their flags in the war. For example both battalions of the 24th carried their sets of two which is how they came to loose three colours at Isandlwana.

There had been Parliamentary debates discussing the danger of carrying them but the Army did what it wanted. I am pretty sure that regiments next carried them in Egypt. Certainly they were being carried in Afghanistan.

Following the accounts of Majuba Hill Parliament banned regiments from taking them.

So you can fly them with pride.....well you can when we correct the mistake. ;)

One thing that we thought was a nice touch but nobody seems to have noticed is that we have done two sizes on the sheet. One is the historic size the other is a wargames table big size. This gives the buyer a choice.

If these prove reasonably popular we will do others to cover the war and also other Colonial conflicts that we do not actually make the figures for.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »

... and also other Colonial conflicts that we do not actually make the figures for.

Yet  :D

Correct flag images have now been uploaded to the website folks (and many thanks to Iain for sorting those so quickly).
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
Wasn't Laing's Nek (in the Transvaal War) the last time, and the point when they said "enough with this nonsense" because Boer marksmanship took such a heavy toll on the colour party of the 58th? It is usually cited as the last occasion.

The Germans and French (never having been shot at by Boers) were still carrying theirs about in the summer of 1914. Even less fun then.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
Lovely...only one thing..not in 1/72nd scale  ;) :D
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Captain Goode

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Very nice indeed, I shall add a set to the annual order! 

So that's NNC, Lancers, Boers, Gatling gun, flags, Double ration of extra Zulu - should be about it.

Graham

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »
Sorry should have been clear.  The 24th did not carry their colours at Isandlwana.  Langs Nek was indeed the last time colours were carried in battle. 

The colours of the 24th were not carried in battle at Isandlwana.  The Queen's Colour 1/24th was carried off by Melville and Coghill while still in its case.  Col Pulleine gave it to him in the tent line.  It was later recovered.  Not sure of the fate of the Regimental Colour.  Anyone know?

Both colours of the 2/24th were lost and never recovered.

Regimental colours are often taken to war (I saw at least one set in Iraq in 2004) but they were not carried in action!

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
Not sure of the fate of the Regimental Colour.  Anyone know?

The 1st Battalion's Regimental Colour was not present in the camp in the first place, therefore it was never lost. Can't remember ever reading where it was at the time, but Wikipedia says Helpmakaar, for what it's worth.

The legend says Pulleine charged Melvill(e) with saving the colour, but nobody really knows what happened. Only one account mentions this, and it is from a newspaper article in which the source remained anonymous. For all we know he just made off with the colour because it made a good excuse to get the hell out of there. That's what Flashy would have done.

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
Just finished Mike Snook's excellent book [yet again--all his work is top notch IMHO] "How Can Man Die Better".  I forget which 24th Officer, upon revisiting Isandhlwana in March to survey it and locate bodies, etc., found a flag staff/pole on the "stony koppie" across the saddle (can't remember the spelling of the hill's name).  This, in conjunction with one of the Zulu participant's accounts, suggests to Snook that Fripp's iconic painting might be correct...the regimental colors just might have been flying over the last remaining rallying square of the 24th.

Great flags btw!  In an inconcievable(!) coincidence I was searching all over the web last week for "Colonial Wars" flags for my Brits.  I was literally on the brink of ordering some Napoleonic flags yesterday when I checked into this forum and saw this announcement. The Gods are shining down on me, I guess!  (Making up to me for that terrible Gren Bay Packers loss/stinkfest from last weekend, no doubt. :'()

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Quote from: Plynkes
That's what Flashy would have done.

Quote from: mjkerner
inconcievable(!)

Top notch flags (and I did notice the two scales), Flashman and The Princess Bride in one thread. I love LAF!  :D