Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689220
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scrap skirmish rules - WIP - tear it apart!  (Read 1358 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Scrap skirmish rules - WIP - tear it apart!
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Der Sirs, here's some rules of mine, intended for a Beer and Pretzel fast play game with the pupils of the class I teach in. I'd like to make it a classical fantasy fight between good and bad guys. No magic for now, but here's the stuff. Please be sincere and don't get mad with my English.

Stats
A model is described by two stats: Body and Shoot, all the values range from d4 to d12

Body: the value rapresents how heavily built or equipped the model is. The lower the die, the heavier the fighter. d8 fighter is an average, d6 is a heavy iron-clad dwarf, d10 is a hasty ranger, and so on.

Shoot: how precise and how powerful is your shot. Low values stand for short ranged but powerful attacks, high dice for long ranged but with less impact. d4 is a large caliber flintloque pistol, d12 an elven longbow. If the target has this value it's considered a shooter, if it doesn't it's not.

Turn Sequence and actions

Move: roll for who's first 50-50 chance. The first player nominates a model of his band, the opponent does the same, chosing from any model he wants. They both roll a body dice. If the model was in disadvantage position or on the ground, he rolls two dice, and choses the lower. The higher moves first, 2" of movement per pip rolled, you can move zero". He can move out of a combat, even if in disadvantage position (see below). Should this movement end in base to base contact, an immediate HtH fight breaks out (this is also true if already in base to base contact and moved zero"). Should this move not end in base to base contact but within ranged attack range (you can pre-measure), a shoot attack can be made. You can move out of base to base contact.
After all of this has been carried out, the player who rolled lower on the body roll does the same. After also this player has moved, you do the "I pick my model, you pick yours" with the player who moved first choosing his model to activate first.

HtH fight: roll one body dice for each of the two opponents engaged. The lower the better. The one who rolled lower gains an "advantage" (we rapresent this by putting the model who gained the advantage facing the flank of the model that lost the fight). If the roll is 5 points lower, the loser is killed outright. If the model that lost was a shooter it is enough to roll 2 points lower to kill it outright. Should the model who lost the advantage lose another round of combat while in the disadvantage position, is killed. The model in disadvantage can move away if he manages to (but remember he rolls two dice and chose the lower when rolling for activation/move. This way lighter models have a chance to sneak off from disadvantage before being killed by a subsequent blow.

Ranged fight: declare, after move (can be zero"), the target of your shoot. Measure the distance, add +3" if the target is in soft cover, and +6" if in hard cover. The attacker rolls a shoot die, the defender rolls a dodge die based on the distance (modified by cover), check out the table below:
0-6"=d4, 7-12"=d6, 13-18"=d8, 19-24"=d10, 25-30"=d12, 31-36"=d20
If the shoot die is higher than the dodge die, it's a hit, otherwise it's a miss.
If it's a hit, roll again, this time shoot die of the shooter vs body die of the target. The lower the better. If shoot die roll is less than body die roll, the target is put to the ground. If it's 5 pips lower the target is killed outright (or 2 points lower if the target is a shooter); a model to the ground is considered disadvantaged in HtH until it stands up; if it receives a second hit from ranged attack is killed by a hit that would have put it on the ground. On subsequent turns it can stand up as part of its move at cost of zero" (but remember he rolls two dice and choses the lower when rolling for activation/move).

Extras!

Heroes and Grunts
Some incredibly strong or feeble models can have a double body value, this is written as two dice code with a slash between them, example: body d8/d6; this should be rare, but if you want to, you can do it. The first body value is used for move roll, the second hor HtH combat and to resist missile damage. On the example above we have a strong fighter, who is average in his move and initiative (rolls d8), but fights like a heavy fighter (d6 to HtH combat and resist missile impact).

Particular missile weapons
As above, some model can have a double shoot value, like: shoot d4/d12; the first is used for the to hit roll, the second on the to woud roll. In the example above the weapon is a real crap, as it rolls d4 to hit (very unlikly to hit except at point-blank) and d12 to damage (can hope to wound only a very light fighter).
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scrap skirmish rules - WIP - tear it apart!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Hihi, great little set of rules. Will try them out.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Thanks, I'll try it out myself... I just wrote it, never played:)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
That's proper gaming! Brings back memories of the 'Historical Alternatives' series of articles in GM magazine which included similar rule sets (though even shorter!) along with a period overview, model suggestions and a battle report all in 4 pages.  :)