Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:02:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Garden of Kama - Incoming!  (Read 19505 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: The Garden of Kama
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:30 AM »
It's interesting to see a project like this go forward. Indian and South-East Asia are definitely under-represented in the fantasy miniature circuit. The sculpts so far look very good too.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 08:04:42 AM »
Some excellent scuplts there, that seem to grab the far eastern cultures very well. They'd be useful in all manner of different genres: fantasy, pulp, sci-fi, WWWII, etc.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
Very innovative and unusual. I like the sculpts, definitely something for our Vikotnik :)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
Really like these. Especially with the promise of more to come!

Thanks also to those people who gave me leads on Penaggalan – I'll look into them.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
Great Sculpts - Good Luck with the whole project.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Very nice stuff. Something very special and new, I think. Maybe you should work out some stats for Songs of Blades and Heroes and stick them to the yahoo-group to support your good ideas.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Very nice stuff. Something very special and new, I think. Maybe you should work out some stats for Songs of Blades and Heroes and stick them to the yahoo-group to support your good ideas.

Hmmm...I do have the PDF somewhere. I wonder if I can still find it? This is why I hate PDFs! and much prefer hard copy!

Actually, what I am doing is working on a 2HW game called "A Band of Joyous Heroes" that should work if I can get it right.

Offline sbrndf11

• Student
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
Absolutely awesome. Should we just keep an eye out for these in the next Tekumel catalog or is there a better way to be notified when they are for sale?

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »
I'm chronicling the progress of the "Garden of Kama" on this gaming blog:

http://lohwand.blogspot.com/

But they will probably appear in future Tekumel Project catalogues as well. Not sure how long it will take to get them molded...

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Sir Barnaby,
In your blog you mention the possibility of Burmese and Shan figures.  What era do you plan to model? Colonial? Thanks.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
Unfortunately, probably not. This is a fantasy thing at it's core so it will be inspired by some historical elements but I can't guarantee that the results will be usable for historical gaming. I'm also looking at the Khmer, Siamese and Cham for inspiration - based on sketches in "The Armies of Angkor", a book from Orchid Press. Also, there are two books on Tibetan Sacred Art which are being used along with Indian and East-Asian temple imagery.

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:33 PM »
Very innovative and unusual. I like the sculpts, definitely something for our Vikotnik :)

Right you are, Prof.!

I really am 'on fire' with this brilliant stuff! All the more as it will NOT be historically-themed.

Sir Barnaby, please let us know as soon as they are available!
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
The Garden is a very interesting project - looking forward to seeing it develop.

Nice sculpts, Andrew!

-Michael

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
Wow!

Those sculpts would be perfect for a Mastodon game!

LOVELY!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: The Garden of Kama - some Background added
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »
The North
To the north lies the mighty Shan Shan [name may change] mountains and the Terrifying Plateau where dwells Mara, the Lord of Evil and his demonic minions, the chief among whom are known simply as the Mara and the Daughters of Mara. There also lies the Kingdom of Jong Yu [name may change], the last realm of man in the North.

The East
From the plateau several rivers descend onto the lush central plains. To the east, the Pirya river [name may change] flows into a series of large lakes, of which the Tara Ji, is the largest; the others being the Gong Hu, Tara Ki and Gong My. [all these names subject to change]

Here lie the amazon realms of Aoa and Ologog, and the great Kingdom of Kamjola. From the lakes the river flows into a wide delta, the Mu Jan [name may change], at the mouth of which is the island Kingdom of Kana Ko. The river Xa [name may change] flows into the Mu Jan from the north-east forming the border of the realm of the Priest-Kings of Champakou, also called the "Land of the Black Lotus."

During the wet season these rivers overflow their banks, inundating much of the land from the lakes all the way to the delta. As a result all these lands have large inland navies of war canoes and galleys.

The West
Two other large rivers descend from the plateau, flowing west and south. The Xir takes the westernmost path, meandering through dry hills and the Desert of Xi [name may change] before emptying into the Bay of Xang [name may change]. This river forms the western border of the Kingdom of Panam. [name may change]

The river Koranga [name may change] flows more directly south across the central plains before winding its way through the highlands and forests of the South; it is the longest river, skirting the Padmanak Plateau [name may change] before reaching the sea almost at the southernmost head of land. There are many small kingdoms and principalities along the banks of this river and along the seacoast it runs parallel to for most of it's length. The mighty Kingdom of Lohwand rules the plateau and the seacoast that runs along its eastern edge.

The South
The Koranga finally empties into the sea after flowing through the great southern forests. Many small kingdoms continually war for control of these lush landscapes and the fertile island of Kasyan La [name may change] which lies merely 100km off the coast.

Notes:
1) As noted, many of the names are subject to change, having mostly been made up on the fly as I typed this out. Those shown in bold are the primary factions;
2) I have changed some of the countries from my first draft. Aoa and Ologog are both Amazon nations – bitter rivals who are none too friendly with their other neighbours either;
3) The Kingdom of Kamjola has become the “Khmer inspired” faction;
4) For the Kingdom of Jong Yu I am intending to use the Perry Miniatures Koreans, or at least the ones in the cool heavy armour!
5) For the Kingdom of Panam I will be using a combination of Games Workshop Easterlings and Warriors of Khand;
6) Champakou has been developed slightly, to be ruled by the “priest-kings” rather than a warrior dynasty as the balance of the kingdoms are. I am styling it as the “Land of the Black Lotus” because of their “lotus patterned” headdresses, inspired by the Cham;
7) There are kingdoms of Naga and Rakshasa interspersed between these human nations. There are Rakshasa who fight for the human nations as well as those who oppose them;
8) There are also tribes of Hanuman, monkey-men, living in the forest. In fact, many types of beast men exist;
9) There are wild tribes of humans living in the forests, mountains and desert as well.

Howard
http://lohwand.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:51:24 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »