Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691047
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Glory Ships  (Read 3198 times)

Offline hendybadger

• Librarian
  • Dreaded Supreme-Badger of the High Seas
    • Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher
Old Glory Ships
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find alternate pics of the Old Glory 25mm ships?

The paint jobs on the site seem to make them look abit nasty
My Blog - Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher (link)
Inculdes Pulp City, Deep Wars, Dystopian Legions and loads more!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old Glory Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
Some of the vessels painted up by Wingnut are Old Glory vessels, so you might do a search on his postings.

I think most of his are the larger vessels that are made by them.

Not sure how much converting, or prepping, he had to do to them, but he should be able to provide some feedback.

Their vessels include cannons, which is nice.  Those from other manufacturers usually do not, so that is something else to consider, and makes them a lot more affordable.

If you do purchase from OG, I recommend signing up for their Army discount, since the breakpoint on it is $125, and gives you a 40% discount for a year, which is very useful for the more expensive items, or if you plan on ordering a lot of pirate figures.

The latter are available in a wide selection, and are very reasonably priced compared to minis from others.

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Badger,
Most of my earlier ships were Old Glory. They are really rough, my work no reflection on them, compared to my latest stuff. Mine have a few after market parts on them but nothing they need to look nice and be Playable.   
Schooner:

sloop:

Pirate hunter:

Brigantine

Frigate:

East Indiaman :

I'm working on the 10 gun Brig this weekend and eventually I hope to finish their Man'o War but not before the next con in March.
Other pictures here:
http://fistfullofseamen.blogspot.com/

Wingnut

Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline hendybadger

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
They are stunning. Thanks for that.
Very tempted by them now.

Nice blog to. Followed and on my roll

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Wingnut,
Your Old Glory ships look very nice.  I have some that are still unpainted.  I plan to work on them in the next few months.  What do you use for the sails?  

I have ambitions of naval games using these and some other ships from different manufacturers and some I have made.  Since I am new to naval war gaming at this scale I have a question you could help me with.

Could you please offer advice on the rules you use for games?

What con will you be attending with these ships in March?

Thanks!

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
Thanks Badger, if you need any info just (pm) me. Post some pictures when your ships are done. We love eye candy on the forum. o_o

Wingnut,
Your Old Glory ships look very nice.  I have some that are still unpainted.  I plan to work on them in the next few months.  What do you use for the sails? 
Sails are on this post:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38046.0

I have ambitions of naval games using these and some other ships from different manufacturers and some I have made.  Since I am new to naval war gaming at this scale I have a question you could help me with.

Could you please offer advice on the rules you use for games?

Rules are like getting a good pair of shoes. Flip flops are great until you want to Climb a mountain or go to an interview. Metaphor aside,  It depends on what you want to get out of the rules as to which you should buy. I read several systems before I started this project and each one either bogged down in pointless minutia or was so generic it was like playing the same "Legend of..." system with different miniature set. Most skirmish games bog down after you introduce ship combat; in most good ship combat games boarding actions are a sideline event. Then you pile on characters and campaigns and you end up with people talking more about mechanics than actual playing.
I finally wrote my own rules. The system works really well for our giant pirate game but I'm not sure if it would  deliver what you might want in Age of Sail warfare. My advice is figure out what part of the game you want to focus on and find rules that play to your desired result. Our Basic rules will be posted for free at some point.         

What con will you be attending with these ships in March?
Recruits:
http://recruits.mtswebsites.com/
I highly recommend this con just for the effort that has gone into the games. There is a lot of talent hidden out here in the Midwest when it comes to terrain.

Thanks!

Offline hendybadger

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
Cheers Wingnut. Im sure I will have some questions for you soon.
Will post up here and on my blog while I do them