Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:53:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heart of Africa & DitDC [Chris Peers' rules]  (Read 7370 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Heart of Africa & DitDC [Chris Peers' rules]
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
Fellas, I have DitDC which i enjoy gaming with but my real interest is the Explorers and doing a campaign over a number of weeks.

I know that HoA is designed for just this but how does it play in practice? Worth my getting it if i already have DitDC?

Thanks, James
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:49:39 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
Re: Heart of Africa & DitDC [Chris Peers' rules]
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
You can always use the free Word version and then decide if that´s the kind of game you like  :)

I started with it, and I liked it so much that I then bought the original version, the army lists and DitDC aswell  lol

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
You can always use the free Word version and then decide if that´s the kind of game you like  :)

I started with it, and I liked it so much that I then bought the original version, the army lists and DitDC aswell  lol

The free Word version? Is there a link please?

I know they're two very different games [CP's into in DitDC]; its worth having both sets? It does sound like it

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
By the free version do you mean the original rules that were printed in WI right back at the start of the DA craze?

If so then they are here:
http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/Default.aspx?tabid=221&art_id=3113

But this is not quite the same game as the one commercially available. It is the germ of what grew into "In the Heart of Africa" but uses different mechanisms in places. For one thing it is "I go, you go" whereas if I recall ItHoA has an alternating unit activation thing going.

In fact I think I prefer the command and control rules in this prototype version (with the whole "encouragement" concept) to the ones in the final commercial product. I liked the way they played.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
Thanks chap.

I'll get a set off Nick/North Star as it sounds right up my Congo

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
This original set of rules is also in the Darkest Africa section of the Foundry Compendium, if you want a nice expensive, glossy printed version with lots of eye candy.

But remember it is not the same game as currently sold by Brigade/Rattrap/North Star (though it is similar).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:06:57 AM by Plynkes »

Online Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
I've not long bought HoA and I like it so far. I was looking for a set that is one step up from a "Pulp" adventure game and I think it delivers.

They are a straightforward set of rules which can be played quickly and I like the way that the unit stats play to the strengths and weaknesses of the unit. For example, movement: tribesmen tend to move faster, especially though more difficult terrain than say European regulars. This also has the effect that the locals are no pushover as they can close with the shooty types faster.

Wargames Illustrated 270 has a mini-campaign for HoA which gives a good feel for the sort of games you can play.
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
Thanks fella.

A prize to the next person who can guess my next post on this subject  lol

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
I meant the version that was in the old Foundry site, also "In The Heart of Africa" but without the commander´s characteristics and before a pair of minor changes: There is not agile warriors or spearmen, for example, and I think a couple of points values are different, but it´s pretty the same game (a fantastic game IMHO). In the Heart of Africa is more on the skirmish level, with single based figures, and DitDC is more for bigger skirmishes or little battles. I like more In The Heart of Africa because it has more of an adventure  ;)

I have played more often the old ones Plynkes means ("In Darkest Africa", I think) than "In The Heart of Africa" and I like it very much (I like also every miniature acting for his one and seeking cover for example in a shotout between zanzibaris and ruga ruga  ;)). I´d say it is thought for a slightly minor scale than "In The Heart" because of the bigger detail in many things (like weapons ranges, encouragement, moral dices for every figure and the lack of "units" as such) I´m with you that the control and command rules are cool and add another tactical level to the game, because you have to think in what do you spend your encouragement points. I like that the figures without encouragement only can make an action: so, what do you do, when the fierce ngoni is almost upon your poor askari with a discharged musket, reloading his weapon or flee with the unloaded weapon? (and then die horribly) :D

The only thing is that if you manage to kill the officers then the army can not be encouraged and is lost: we usually play with the half force strengs, so 3 or 4 officers are common. Since there is no "shooting restrictions" you can shoot at them if they don´t have any other miniatures physically covering them, so you have to be very very carefull with them.
BTW, that´s maybe the kind of game you´d like to play, H.M.Stanley. There is also a campaign that I rather like, and the encounters between explorers and herdsmen are such a fun (and desperation  lol). I send you a PM btw.
(Oh my, sorry for the big text above  ::))

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »
Much appreciated Clearco/Plynkes.

I have the original rules now off WI so will try them although i've ordered the RB off Nick too.

My figures for DitDC are all individually based (except Bearers) on sabot bases so i can easily switch between the two

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »
Wargames Illustrated 270 has a mini-campaign for HoA which gives a good feel for the sort of games you can play.

[cough]  :D

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
  :o
Does anyone have it?

@Stanley: the original game has also rules for a general campaign system :) You´ll be familiar with the scenarios because they are the same as in DitDC (pitched battle, raid, and so on)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
  :o
Does anyone have it?

@Stanley: the original game has also rules for a general campaign system :) You´ll be familiar with the scenarios because they are the same as in DitDC (pitched battle, raid, and so on)

I see - thanks.

I thought it might be a continuing campaign. Still, sounds fun

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
I can't recommend HoA enough, I've played lots of games down the club with all sorts of forces.

Most games we play involve a force with between 4 and 8 units a side plus commanders, scouts, witchdoctors, standard bearers and the odd machine gun. Colonial armies tend to clock in around the 30 figure mark, Arabs and Ruga Ruga armies around the 50-60 figure mark and natives come in around 100 figures.

The game is very simple to grasp but there are a few nuances which give it a good depth.

Its alternate unit activation for movement (which is based on one or two D6 plus a modifier, for example askari's move D6+3" per turn in the open, while spearmen move 2D6" in the open - usually leaving regular troops slower but more reliable and natives are a bit more unpredictable)

Then everyone shoots simultaneously (1D6 per figure - 5 or 6 kills - with a few modifiers e.g. my stationary Ruga Ruga add +1 but they are shooting at some dispersed spearmen (-1) at over half range (-1) so need 6's to kill)

Then close combat (opposed D6 roll per combat, with modifiers such as warriors adding 3 and askaris taking away 1, needing a difference of 2 or more to kill). Very brutal.

Morale checks are usually a simple 3+ or 4+ dice roll to pass (checks for casualties, ambushes, commander losses e.t.c.). One fail and you get a marker, the second marker is a rout. A nearby commander allows a player to rally off their marker, while a standard bearer cancels one test per turn.

The terrain rules are very neat, I've not tried the campaign rules but I think they would provide a good framework if you had 4 or more players at a club all playing.

I haven't played DitDC so I can't really compare unfortunately.

I hope thats of some help?

Online Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
Then everyone shoots simultaneously (1D6 per figure - 5 or 6 kills - with a few modifiers e.g. my stationary Ruga Ruga add +1 but they are shooting at some dispersed spearmen (-1) at over half range (-1) so need 6's to kill)

This is one bit I struggled with, if there was another -1 modifier, (i.e. target starts or ends move in cover), does that mean there is no chance of hitting? (Mathmatically there isn't of course, but I wondered if I've missed a rule somewhere).