Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Medieval Village  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »
Some ideas, thoughts and products for a medieval village project.

So, finally the beginnings of a dream I have nursed since the late 1970's and my first encounter with D&D and Wargaming.
Years ago I saw some stunning pictures in Miniature Wargames of a Village as a background for the Barons' War complete with fields and peasants working.

So here goes, [photos will come when there is enough to show]:

What about buildings?

I am not good at modelling so to begin with I'll get some prefabricated ones.

I heard that Armorcast in USA were up and running again, so I ordered some small houses and a blacksmith shop.
They are cheap (average $15 or so) and very nice. The smallest ones are 3 by 3 inches, which is perhaps a bit small but I like them.
They are made of resin and come in parts. They need a bit of filing and sanding to fit.  Even with my basic skills they paint up well. Their service is great and customs were not too much of a hazzle.

Next I will try Pardulon, they look stunning. I did a small order with them,
their service is fantastic. I ordered a wednesday night, Jens sent it on thursday and I had it in my hand on friday! I will get me at least one of their houses next month.

I like houses with an interior that you can use for RPG.

At least my Armorcast houses will be based on plywood bases perhaps with fixed scenery.

What about figures?

I asked on the forum and got some great answers.  

So, I begin with some Hasselfree, lovely and clean figures.
[A friend of mine "Ritual" on Wyrd and CMON forums have painted some of theirs and they look super!] Hasslefree is one of the friendliest families in the business.

Btw has anyone else noticed that their bard looks like the sptitting image of Mick Jagger?

I found to my delight that the feudal peasants I got from Gripping Beast are of a comparable size. They come in a pack of four with separate farm implements. I also got some wattle fence and a pack of mean looking pigs.

Amazon are a bit crude, but I found a milk amid and a herder boy that work well for me, together with some cows, sheep and fowl that will be useful.

I have some Reaper figures. They are absolutely huge i comparison. The blacksmith works well though, a muscular, bearded giant (not unlike my self.... hehe).

Mirliton, as suggested by Hammershield, are on their way.  Their food shop and peasant pack is coming my way.

Black Tree Design also have some figs that are on their way, so more on size comparison and maybe photos on their way.

What about the rural scenery?

I got some fields, walls and a bridge from ebay, that hopefully will arrive soon.
Also I have ordered some rivers and roads from Terrain Mat. I gather they are made to order so it will take a coupple of weeks I guess.

All will be laid out on a simple grass green standard gamong mat to beign with.

The Armorcast houses can also be used for an upcoming pulp game set in the village of Upper Muckle, then with added graveyard, cultists and a certain Belgian detective.

Cheers

Eric

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
Something I am looking for myself for my 18th century village...a well

other things way stone or a shrine, a gallows or stocks. Pig pen, chickens and other livestock

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:38 AM »
Lowtardog:

With my Black Tree Design order is a pack of 3 small wayside shrines that I am ver curious about. Hopefulley they'll get here soon. BTD have in their catalouge gallows and stocks and other stuff you might like:

http://www.black-tree-design.com

under fantasy armies/ dungeon accessories

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:51:04 AM »
Many thanks Arctic man.

I used Fantascene for my graveyard, it may be a bit fancy for medieval but heres the link.

http://www.fantascene.net/products.htm

found a nice well and some bits and bobs

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
My Medieval Village
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:00:16 AM »
Good to hear the Gripping Beast peasants weren't too big for you. I was afraid they would be, GB miniatures normally being somewhat bulky for 28mm (not the same thing as tall, mind you).

I have a bunch of the Black Tree peasants on the way as well. Black Tree seems to have gathered a bit of a backlog of orders over the past month, but apparently they've started fixing it now. I had my eye on the roadside shrines too, but I was spending too much money already so it came down to the shrines or the wall fountains. I got the fountains as they'll be absolutely perfect for my swashbuckling games.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:02 AM »
Lowtardog: thanks!  :love:  Great stuff  that will work great in a Fantasy setting spooky and just what I want!

Rhoderic: thanks for the tip on BTD. Yes I thought GB would be bulkier but at leat these  aren't. In fact they look perfect next to the Hasslefree barman, a mm or too taller but of the same "bulk".

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:26:03 AM »
Quote from: "Arcticman"
Lowtardog: thanks!  :love:  Great stuff  that will work great in a Fantasy setting spooky and just what I want!

Rhoderic: thanks for the tip on BTD. Yes I thought GB would be bulkier but at leat these  aren't. In fact they look perfect next to the Hasslefree barman, a mm or too taller but of the same "bulk".

Careful with the Fantascene stuff though I went mad without realising and am now painting over 30 of the blasted things :D

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
My Medieval Village
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
If you like prepainted medieval houses with lift-off roofs, you may try a seller called sellthatstuffboy on Ebay UK (category wargames & role-playing - tabletop/historical - other table top).  He continiously offers painted resin castings from PMC Games as well as (partly) scratchbuilt ones (very reasonable priced), enough variety to make a town and all painted to go together.  This being in 28mm, but 15mm and 28mm WW2 stuff is also offered.

He (sometimes) takes a few weeks to fullfill the order (since he uses stock photos and no doubt has a production scheme), but the stuff is nicely cast and painted and orders are always fullfilled.

One advice: make one bid only (the original amount, no more): since he repeats his offerings there is no point in bidding more.  Stuff is well packed (bubble wrapped).  To be absolutely clear about this: I'm no sock-puppet, just a regular customer.

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
Quote from: "Geudens"
If you like prepainted medieval houses with lift-off roofs, you may try a seller called sellthatstuffboy on Ebay UK (category wargames & role-playing - tabletop/historical - other table top).  He continiously offers painted resin castings from PMC Games as well as (partly) scratchbuilt ones (very reasonable priced), enough variety to make a town and all painted to go together.  This being in 28mm, but 15mm and 28mm WW2 stuff is also offered.

He (sometimes) takes a few weeks to fullfill the order (since he uses stock photos and no doubt has a production scheme), but the stuff is nicely cast and painted and orders are always fullfilled.

One advice: make one bid only (the original amount, no more): since he repeats his offerings there is no point in bidding more.  Stuff is well packed (bubble wrapped).  To be absolutely clear about this: I'm no sock-puppet, just a regular customer.

Rudi

Around 75% of my village (fast becoming a town) is from this guy. The buildings are very nice.

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
8)  Geudens and Lowtardog! Great minds think alike!  :lol:

I noticed him around christmas andI have ordered some stuff from him already, it should come in this week I hope. Thanks for letting me know that a) it takes some time and b) that you can recommend him. that makes me happy and confident.

I have looked at some of those superb buildings, only thing is that is the cost of shipping overseas is as much as for the items themselves.

I must say that he offers great solutions of shipping as well since he slashed  £20 off the postage on my last order  :D

I will have to tread easy now since i blew my entire christmas bonus on minis and scenery this year.

Lowtardog I have realized that it is very easy to go mad about beatuful scenery and great minis!  :lol:   There is soo much to paint and build and create and.... oh dear..... hehe
Cheers

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »
Quote from: "Arcticman"
8)  Geudens and Lowtardog! Great minds think alike!  :lol:

Lowtardog I have realized that it is very easy to go mad about beatuful scenery and great minis!  :lol:   There is soo much to paint and build and create and.... oh dear..... hehe
Cheers

Lol, do not I repeat do not look at Captain Bloods thread on his Chruch , it is fantastic and could lead to all sorts of expensive spending :D

Yep I would highly recommend the aformentioned, bidding on some fields as we speak and have received the Inn, Blacksmith and Church over Christmas to "finish" the village off.

Though if I had the space and money I would be more than tempted by his town walls and gate house.

I am also using the Monolith multi stack buildings, they are nice, I managed to get some already painted which was a bargain. I am adding the Pardulan corners for the ruins rather than bases :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
My Medieval Village
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Something I am looking for myself for my 18th century village...a well

The best 28mm well has to be this one...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/well.htm

Mind you, they have yet to send me out a new roof for my coaching inn, so I'm loathe to recommend them - but this well is the dog's wotsits...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
That is nice but big :D  I went and got a little well and fountain fomr Fantascene just for a bit of additional cover etc.

Yes, read your thread on that, yuo think that they would tyr and fit the parts before sending out especially with their hefty price tags.  Looking forward to seeing it though when it is finished :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
My Medieval Village
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »
Hell Eric, I think you have a moral obligation to let the rest of the Swedish Lead Adventure come and play with your new toy town!  :)

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
The Forgeworld well is beautiful!

Mine is the simpler but still stylish Armorcast:

http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=66&products_id=461

Originally posted by Hammershield
Hell Eric, I think you have a moral obligation to let the rest of the Swedish Lead Adventure come and play with your new toy town!

:D I'd be delighted to bring it along, for a game. The beauty is that being sort of generic it can be used for most periods.  :mrgreen: