Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scale comparisons?  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
OMG - that TAG-site has a lot of possibilities for C/NF-gaming!!!

Are they 28 mm like for instance Copplestone FW or Foundry SV?

28mm mate job's a goodun!

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline crisis_core

• Student
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »
Quote from: "Commander Vyper"

I meant that if you used the cadian plastics, maybe a scale weapon swap for something more 21st century rather than 41st, lose the IG symbols on the helmet and carpace armour and you could have a very nice delta/seal team in keeping with your GW zeds
The Commander

heh ahh right. i think i get you now. I guess I could combine them with SM Scout legs in order to get that SWAT look.

In terms of the civilians, I've managed to locate the Old Glory Civilians (rather nice ones at that).

The Hasslefree Adventurers are looking especially good. Although the problem is that they are very out of scale with those of the GW Cadians. That can be said for the Foundry SWAT teams as well though..the scale seems inconsistent...GAH! The frustration!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:33 AM »
Quote from: "crisis_core"

In terms of the civilians, I've managed to locate the Old Glory Civilians (rather nice ones at that).

!

If I were you I would have a look aty these in the flesh I bought these last year and they are a mixed bag in terms of sculpting, some are fantastic whilst others are decidedly dodgy

I did a review on the horror forum for zombificationm this was a chat with Pappa Midnight:

Hello All, I just received the 3 packs today in the post, As I am working from home..here is a reveiw.

The General Fiugres seem to be from a mixture of sculptors, I am assuming this because of the different styles. Size wise they are Road Kill size with the odd exception (I will pick these out as I go). Those that to me could be zombies I will put a Z

Pack One

Woman in pleated skirt and jacket carrying case - OK, ankles a bit thick
Man in leather Bomber jacket, good pose in aggressive stance with arm out-could put weapon in hand
Film Camera Man - look great with combat trousers and short jacket, baseball cap and droopy tash - straight out of a Nam film (slightly bigger than other two)
Girl with Afro walking pose, again good survivor though the hands would be too fragile to drill and put a weapon in.Z.
Camera Man, a bit thin this figure though in proportion, nice pose though
Drunk in 3/4 length coat and battered top hat with bottle - beautiful figure, would fit any Victorian/wild west range could be a Z
Man with Mobile phone looking at watch, funny stance, legs dont look right
Female News reporter, A thin figure though not too bad
Kid with football - Naff, enough said
Kid with arm raised - basic could be Z

Pack TWO

Man holding arm out as if hailing a bus, nice pose
Teenage girl in gym skirt thingy, thin sculpt
Woman with hands up - looks a bit butch could be Z
Man with Backpack - heroic stance with hand positions could be armed with pistol or hand weapon
Woman with pram - looks a bit of a bloater - head a bit small, pram crude and baby naff
Woman in summer dress with hat and handbag - OK
Man with hands up could be Z
Woman in trouser suit and hair in bun with mobile phone - thin but nice figure
Kid on skate board - not a good sculpt
Kid with bobble hat and holding bear - think it should be part of woman holding hand - bit monkey like pose

Pack Three

Jogger with head phne -OK
Woman with suitcase - thin but nice figure
Fat old bearded bloke with baeball cap hands in pocket - OK
Woman in floor length gown, hair tied up, nice sculpt though another thin one - would fit Victorian/wild west or even a Vampire
Man walking in suit - very nice sculpt could be a Z
Man in suit with brolly and brief case with bowler hat - Dire figure-I will swap head and cut off brolly and case -Z
Little girl with Balloon and Ice cream - ok
Old woman in long skirt and stick - agian at home in wild west - big old bird
Man running in terror - definate panicing survivor, only fault no detail on jacket
Man in wheel chair - could have been good "xavier" but the wheels are poorly cast

Well that it out of thirty figures I would say

12 are very good (the thinner poses I havent seen before from westwind, these would fit with Hasslefree of which there are 6 though a bit taller) (two points)

9 are OK a bit crude in areas but useful poses (1 point)

9 are crappy though you could do something with them - the kids are dire of which there are 4, wheel chair man could be fixed up with some work but pram, fat old woman and bloke with bowler hat are crap. (0 points)

They are a nice rnage but as in pack you get good and bad in each range I will score each pack based on above

Pack 1 - 14 points
Pack 2 - 10 points
Pack 3 - 9 points

These are of course my views and prejudices based on my limited painting and modelling skill

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

I meant that if you used the cadian plastics, maybe a scale weapon swap for something more 21st century rather than 41st, lose the IG symbols on the helmet and carpace armour and you could have a very nice delta/seal team in keeping with your GW zeds
The Commander

heh ahh right. i think i get you now. I guess I could combine them with SM Scout legs in order to get that SWAT look.

The Hasslefree Adventurers are looking especially good. Although the problem is that they are very out of scale with those of the GW Cadians. That can be said for the Foundry SWAT teams as well though..the scale seems inconsistent...GAH! The frustration!

Welcome to the world outside of GW my friend...realistic scales!  ;)

You just have to learn to deal with it!

(Oh and using the scout legs will make em look even bigger use cadian and gs some delta style knee pads).

Cheers

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »
I can live with zombies being grotesque!

Think I'll go get me a box of plastic undead  :wink:  (I need to get the Empire Wizard set for S&S anyway...)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline crisis_core

• Student
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
I can live with zombies being grotesque!

Think I'll go get me a box of plastic undead  :wink:

I can agree with you on that mate!

Welcome to the world outside of GW my friend...realistic scales!

WHAT?! You mean oversized hands and weapons aren't the norm?! :lol: I see you have one of those G-dub-ya zeds quietly hiding there in the back row :wink: Looks like I'll definately be picking up some of those Hasslefree Adventurers!

In terms of civilians, its a bit of a shame that they're so hard to find. I guess I could just mix and match civilians? The problem with the copplestone 'future wars' civs are that they're all gun toting :| Although the Assault troops look like good SWAT/Delta stand ins. Some of the Gangster civs don't look to bad as well...
The French civilians from West Wind look pretty good...does anyone know if they size up well to hasslefree?

The good thing about civilians is that I guess you wouldn't need tooo many of them for games...I can't think of any scenarios where you would...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »

The good thing about civilians is that I guess you wouldn't need tooo many of them for games...I can't think of any scenarios where you would...

Guess you haven't heard about Worldworks' announcement to make an Urban Mayhem Mall, then  :mrgreen:  

It needs customers!! Lots of them! It won't be any fun to create panic scenes without customers!  :lol:

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
any idea about the size of modern Irregular civilian?

and zombies?

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »
I try not to get TOO hooked up on scales ( unless they are WAY out). If you're making a diorama it's an issue, if it's for gaming you can get away with a little artistic licence.
There's plenty of gun-toting civvies on the market aswell as military/SWAT etc. but unarmed modern civilians are hard to come by.
LTD did a nice run down of Super-Figs civilian minis but most of the ones I got ended up as Zombies!  :mrgreen:  

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 09:00:06 PM »
Mega Miniatures does a bunch.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 09:31:19 AM »
Mega Miniatures does a bunch.

That are very poorly scuplted unfortuantely.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
I know... but we aren't really spoiled for choices  :(

Offline crisis_core

• Student
Scale comparisons?
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 07:38:43 AM »
I just realised that hasslefree has a civilian range :| Sure, they might be not-scooby doo characters, but civs are civs! You can find them in the Non-Com and Civilians Page. They're around the 28mm range, so they'd fit in perfectly :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Scale comparisons?
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin