Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593681 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Highly inspirational. Your work pushed me over the edge into ordering my own Hundred Years War stuff!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Grant. I hope you don't regret it!

As you can see from this and many other LAF threads, building these little plastic figures, with all the possibilities they possess for making every figure unique, is a seriously addictive niche hobby within a hobby! The problem is, you're then obliged to paint all the little buggers! And that's the time-consuming bit...  ::)

For some more Perry HYW-specific inspiration, check out Don Voss's thread here... He build and painted this lot very quickly indeed...
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77614.0

Offline IgnatiusO

• Assistant
Wonderful work Captain Blood! This is my second review of the thread and it inspired me to begin plastic surgery with my Perry boxes. Great construction, beautiful painting, and a great advert for the boxed sets. I bought all of their boxes after the first go-round with this thread for an imagi-world army.

Anyone know if they are expanding the range? I thought I read somewhere on LAF that they intended to do so.

All the best for 2017!
A MadKat at heart.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks IgnatiusO  :)

Michael Perry told me that there would be a HYW mounted knights set at some point. Apart from that, I think they've got the C15th pretty much covered in plastic... Unless they do a plastic artillery set... But artillery is a minority interest in this period, and you don't need very many guns and crew - so I doubt that would be a good enough seller to justify the investment.

I've long said that the logical extension to the late medieval plastics range would be a plastic box of Landsknechts / Swiss - a subject which would lend itself perfectly to the multipart plastic kit format; a setting which the Perrys previously did comprehensively for Foundry (so they've got form), and which would extend their 'European Armies' range (1450 - 1500) a little further into the early C16th. And, by the way, which would undoubtedly be a big hit with the GW 'Empire' crowd...

All in all, I can't believe they haven't done it yet. But maybe it just doesn't grab them :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
If they stuck with the Late 15th Century and the first couple of years of the 16th, their Landsknechts would actually be unique; at least as far as I know nobody does any that would represent them that early. They would still be quite compatible with the rest of the 'Wars of the Roses' range too.

The logical extension of their 'European Armies' range would be the First Italian War of 1495-98 and/or the Swabian War of 1499, but as you say, they tend to do what appeals to them. Alternatively the Granada War of 1482-1492 would both extend the range and still use the existing range; including plain English troops, but not Landsknechts.   

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
All just too, too pretty. It's not just the painting though, it's the posing and the little accoutrements added on that make them seem so authentic.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

Michael Perry told me that there would be a HYW mounted knights set at some point. Apart from that, I think they've got the C15th pretty much covered in plastic...

That would be nice.  I would welcome different horses - I wonder what horses for HYW mounted knights would look like?

I wish they would add some more levy type figures - replacing the twelve bodies on the WotR sprue with guys without armor or livery jackets would be nice.  I'd be content to have a pack of those in metal even.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
I wish they would add some more levy type figures - replacing the twelve bodies on the WotR sprue with guys without armor or livery jackets would be nice.  I'd be content to have a pack of those in metal even.

A box split between un-liveried jack-protected and unarmoured men, would pretty much seal the range for me, even if it did mean manually adding 'bends' to them in lieu of livery jackets.   

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Hey captain,

I just went through your entire topic and I must say this is truly inspiring work. Absolutely amazing stuff. You actually got me to start building new things for my own warband and I think I should make a topic here too. Keep up the great work and hopefully you will keep building stuff for your forces.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
I would welcome different horses - I wonder what horses for HYW mounted knights would look like?

Interesting question, something I've wondered about - would they use the same horses as their WOTR kits or do new ones? If the latter I can't imagine they would be much different....

A box split between un-liveried jack-protected and unarmoured men, would pretty much seal the range for me, even if it did mean manually adding 'bends' to them in lieu of livery jackets.   

What would seal the range for me is a box of halberdiers/pikemen, in good poses. The shouldered pikes / polearms in the mercenaries box are nice but obviously limited, and the bill / halberd arms in the WOTR box aren't the most useful for large ranked up units.... I'd love a box just for infantry with polearms in good natural poses, held in two hands, from upright to lowered and everything in between... The arms could be part of the bodies, with separate hands with weapons for different polearms and pikes. That would do it for me!

Or alternatively just loads more metal packs. Seems kind of unfinished to me, like they had other sets planned but got bored. Just mundane things would keep me happy, billmen and archers in different combinations of armour and poses, etc.... I get jealous of the ammount of stuff they've released for their Napolenoic and American Civil War ranges!!!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Hey captain,

I just went through your entire topic and I must say this is truly inspiring work. Absolutely amazing stuff. You actually got me to start building new things for my own warband and I think I should make a topic here too. Keep up the great work and hopefully you will keep building stuff for your forces.

I will. Just a bit of a lull at the moment while I work on other projects.
It's most humbling that quite a few people have been inspired by this thread to pick up the poly cement and follow the plastic path to the late medieval  :)
Good fun too  ;)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Indeed! You should get a hearty thank you from Perry Mins!

The first half of my order has arrived and I am super impressed with them; the metals are good, but the plastics are amazing.

Hope to get into them sometime soon. So many projects it seems.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Indeed! You should get a hearty thank you from Perry Mins!

To be fair, they have given me a few freebies - although I do also spend a fair amount with them!

Interesting question, something I've wondered about - would they use the same horses as their WOTR kits or do new ones? If the latter I can't imagine they would be much different....

Well, the WOTR range was all done by Michael - the Agincourt to Orleans plastic kits are by Alan, and as we know, although they are very easily interchangeable, they are slightly different in style as well as size. So although it would be tempting, I'm sure, for them to just re-use the same horses again, knowing what sticklers they are for accuracy -including the right kind of tack for 1415 rather than 1485 - and the fact that the riders will be done by Alan too presumably, I think there's at least a chance that they'll treat us with some new horses  :)

Let's face it, they've done a gazillion different horses for all Alan's various Napoleonic cavalry sets...

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
If they stuck with the Late 15th Century and the first couple of years of the 16th, their Landsknechts would actually be unique; at least as far as I know nobody does any that would represent them that early.

Actually, TAG have just released a small metal range of early landsknechts for the 1490-1510 period :

http://www.theassaultgroup-shop.co.uk/imperialist

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
To be fair, they have given me a few freebies - although I do also spend a fair amount with them!

Well, the WOTR range was all done by Michael - the Agincourt to Orleans plastic kits are by Alan, and as we know, although they are very easily interchangeable, they are slightly different in style as well as size. So although it would be tempting, I'm sure, for them to just re-use the same horses again, knowing what sticklers they are for accuracy -including the right kind of tack for 1415 rather than 1485 - and the fact that the riders will be done by Alan too presumably, I think there's at least a chance that they'll treat us with some new horses  :)

Let's face it, they've done a gazillion different horses for all Alan's various Napoleonic cavalry sets...

I would love more horses.  I'm not that keen on the existing ones.  I keep forgetting what a pain it is to paint the horse trappings on these - next group I'll file off those studs all the way 'round.  And I always spend a fair bit of time fixing the seam on their backs.  I mean, they are beautiful sculpts but just create a lot of extra work that I'd rather not do.