Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691121
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593723 times)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Really outstanding painting Captain! Your choice of colour is great as always.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Beautiful!!!  :-* :-* :-* Some of the nicest painting I've seen. Love the bases too. The scenery is also first rate, are the trees Woodland Scenics?

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Lovely work, Richard  :-*

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Lovely brushwork Richard on your latest archers.

All the best,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks all.

This is one of the most inspiring historical threads I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing that.

Very nice of you to say so - thank you  :)

Richard, these last pictures are great. Not so shiny and look more like having your figures in your real hands. New camera???

Yes, I have been using a new camera, Dirk. But I think it might be more to do with the lighting and exposure.

Will be a while now before more gets added to this thread. Has to take a bit of a back seat for a while I'm afraid. But there will be more in due course!  o_o

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
I've just made an account here just so I can comment on this thread.

I've recently decided to move back into wargaming after giving it up a long time ago, and have decided to go for a 15th century collection which I can use for either historical and Game Of Thrones purposes. I've been aware of Perry Miniatures for a while, but have just discovered the full range of plastic medieval kits they now do, and after looking through every page of this thread, I am convinced  that they will be all I need!

I'm planning to get one of each six kits - all five war of the roses ones, and the agincourt kit too, and mix them all together. Your conversions suggest that this is going to be fun...

I'm also delighted by the price. £20 each? So one of each kits will get me a small army for £120! Add a few more, and that's a solid army for £200! Coming from someone used to Games Workshop prices back in the day, and having seen the ridiculous heights they have reached in recent years, this seems incredible!

So to Captain Blood, thank you very much, and the Perrys should be very grateful to you as well, you are doing some excellent advertising for them!

Also, a question - Will the Agincourt kit mix in well with the War of the Roses ones? I'm not going for complete historical accuracy here, and mixing the Agincourt heads throughout the whole army should work for poorer knights with out of date armour I'm thinking. They are the same scale, I take it?

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Fantastic work!!! :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Fantastic work!!! :-*

Thanks Rafa.

I've just made an account here just so I can comment on this thread.

I've recently decided to move back into wargaming after giving it up a long time ago, and have decided to go for a 15th century collection which I can use for either historical and Game Of Thrones purposes. I've been aware of Perry Miniatures for a while, but have just discovered the full range of plastic medieval kits they now do, and after looking through every page of this thread, I am convinced  that they will be all I need!

I'm planning to get one of each six kits - all five war of the roses ones, and the agincourt kit too, and mix them all together. Your conversions suggest that this is going to be fun...

I'm also delighted by the price. £20 each? So one of each kits will get me a small army for £120! Add a few more, and that's a solid army for £200! Coming from someone used to Games Workshop prices back in the day, and having seen the ridiculous heights they have reached in recent years, this seems incredible!

So to Captain Blood, thank you very much, and the Perrys should be very grateful to you as well, you are doing some excellent advertising for them!

Also, a question - Will the Agincourt kit mix in well with the War of the Roses ones? I'm not going for complete historical accuracy here, and mixing the Agincourt heads throughout the whole army should work for poorer knights with out of date armour I'm thinking. They are the same scale, I take it?

Well, thank you very much for that. Very kind  :)
And welcome to Lead Adventure.

Yes, parts from the Perry WoTR and Agincourt-Orleans figures can be intermixed well. You should be able to see a few amongst the later conversions in this thread. The Agincourt figures are a whisker taller and the head to neck joint is slightly different, but nothing that can't be fixed with a sharp knife and a tiny bit of filling with liquid poly cement and a few tiny shavings of plastic sprue. (Although note that the A-O foot knights heads are moulded on, so would need cutting off).

If you haven't already, you might also find something useful in my Game of Thrones thread... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62778.0

There are lots of other very nice Game of Thrones build threads knocking about in both the Fantasy and Medieval Adventure boards, by the way. Worth hunting down for inspiration...  :)

My favourite is HVM's Mormont thread... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41342.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:15:18 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Yes, parts from the Perry WoTR and Agincourt-Orleans figures can be intermixed well. You should be able to see a few amongst the later conversions in this thread. The Agincourt figures are a whisker taller and the head to neck joint is slightly different, but nothing that can't be fixed with a sharp knife and a tiny bit of filling with liquid poly cement and a few tiny shavings of plastic sprue. (Although note that the A-O foot knights heads are moulded on, so would need cutting off).

If you haven't already, you might also find something useful in my Game of Thrones thread... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62778.0

There are lots of other very nice Game of Thrones build threads knocking about in both the Fantasy and Medieval Adventure boards, by the way. Worth hunting down for inspiration...  :)

My favourite is HVM's Mormont thread... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41342.0

Ahh yes, I hadn't realised the Agincourt heads are attached to the bodies. I doubt I'll need to do many headswaps though, as the helmets are the most notably different part of the armour, wouldn't you agree? The bodies and legs are rather similar (remember, I'm not going for total historical accuracy and detail!)

I have seen your GoT thread and enjoyed it, but not as much as this one to be honest! I will be focusing on raising massed troops rather than individual characters at first. I'm thinking I'd like my troops not to be obviously aligned to any house or faction, using mostly neutral colours with little heraldry, so that I'll be able to mark their alligiences out with colourful character models complete with heraldry and banners when needed. And I probably won't be going for the obvious Stark and Lannister factions, but perhaps smaller houses from the Riverlands and The Reach. Though one idea I've just had, for smaller skirmish games with more individual models, would be The Mountain's Men vs the Brotherhood Without Banners. Lots of great potential for characterful models there...

Looking though that Mormont thread right now, great stuff!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Though one idea I've just had, for smaller skirmish games with more individual models, would be The Mountain's Men vs the Brotherhood Without Banners. Lots of great potential for characterful models there...

Now that's a great idea  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP - bowmen of England, 25 May
« Reply #1600 on: August 13, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »
Well, three years on from my first Perry Mounted Men At Arms, and I’m back where I started - building some new Perry Mounted Men-At-Arms!  ::)

Partly this is because my painting mojo has gone AWOL over the past few weeks. And since I enjoy the creative process of unique plastic figure building, I’m very happily kit-bashing lots of new plastic figures, which I will paint once I rediscover my painting groove.

Since I’ve latterly added a whole new Yorkist faction to my WOTR collection (see pages 87 onwards, above), I now need to equip this contingent with a hefty cavalry arm.

Also, since I built my first mounted host from the MMAA parts (supplemented with a few bits and pieces from the original WOTR bows and bills set and the Mercenaries set) the build possibilities have expanded exponentially with the addition of three more late Perry medieval sets: Foot Knights, Light Cavalry, plus the Agincourt to Orleans English army set.
So I wanted to have a play with the new potential in these sets alongside the MMAA components, to create some slightly different WOTR-era cavalry…

The first set of new figures are all Yorkist Mounted Men at Arms. These will accompany the King (who, to remind you, looks like this).

First up, is a standard bearer, gazing manfully up at his streaming banner, which bears the King’s personal arms (I'll be using one of the excellent Pete's Flags standards for this).
This is pretty much a standard build from the MMAA set, but with one of the newer heads from the Foot Knights set, and little bit of jiggery pokery with the flagstaff arm (the gauntlet and spearshaft come from the Light Cav set, grafted on).

Next, a bareheaded Man-At-Arms, made up from one of the Light Cavalry bodies and bridle arms, with the bare head from the MMAA set added, and a flourishing sword arm from the Foot Knights set.

The next one uses the closed kettle helm from the Foot Knights set on top of one of the MMAA bodies. The poleaxe dangling from his hand is also from the Foot Knights set. Polexaes were almost certainly not used from horseback as they required two hands to wield effectively. And it’s a very heavy weapon to hold just by the end of the haft (try it with a pickaxe some time). So in various ways, this figure is not very realistic. Oh well. I think he looks suitably sinister, which I like.

Finally, for now, a lance-armed rider. He's the light cavalry body with long boots and a breastplate under an open coat. The bridle arm is from the light cavalry set, the lance arm and helmet from the MMAA set.

The horses are all pretty standard. Obviously the trick is to try to build the horse so that it fits in with the attitude / pose of the rider.

Next up will be a posse of rascally hobilars, currours, coustillers, ribauds, scurrers - call ‘em what you will. Basically brigands on horseback... Gimme a day or two...  ;)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Looking good, now get some paint on them please :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Lush!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice work Richard.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks.
By the way, I'm looking for a couple of extra Perry plastic Salute 2015 figures. If anyone's got one they're not going to use, please pm me with terms - thanks  :)