Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 17071 times)

Offline crisis_core

• Student
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »
Lotr is a great game, and is my primary form of skirmish at the moment. Quite a lot of the mini range is incredibly amazing, and the ruleset is incredibly easy to pick up. The plastics have also been going through some amazing development - the rangers sprue is one of the best I've seen (much better than the elves anyhow) and the new knights and harad supplement have some interesting minis.

If you are planning on going further with Mines of Moria, I suggest you find yourself a copy of Legions of Middle Earth or one of the supplements which are generally tailored to a specific faction.

Offline DrunkenSamurai

• Bookworm
    • http://dspaintingblog.blogspot.com/
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
I love this game!  It is the only fantasy game that I play and I wish I had more time for it.  Our local (Arizona) game group has a LOTR tourny coming up this month and I am working hard (hardly working really) to get ready for it.

I would say that this is a VERY safe game to get into.  THe investment that GW has made for plastic tooling means they are planning to produce it for a long time.  Even if the lic issue come up New Line will be happy to sell all the stuff to someone else to make.  As for the core rules, GW owns this and they can keep printing the rules as long as they want (if they loose the lic then they will just need to remove all the movie specific referecens and images).  

I say jump in and have fun.  I am even looking at using LOTR rules for Mordheim (I love the Mordhiem setting but hate the game) using any fantasy figures the players want to use.  This would be a chance to use all thos funky Foundry Orcs I have been collecting.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
What I particularly like about the game is the design of (most of) the miniatures. They have a very elegant style unlike the more clumsy looking Warhammer miniatures (which I like , too, but for different reasons).

I like the way the game works for small groups composed of characters. That's the strength of the game. It's a story telling kind of mechanism.

However, I'm starting to get worried about the direction the game has taken: it's getting too big for my taste (from an economic point of view very neccesary). All these extra and special troops appearing now are starting to get on my nerves. I really detest the Gondorian auxiliary troops. According to the book they are some kind of militia, not some elite units.

The same holds true for the new Haradrim troops. Of course that's only my personal feeling.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »
Quote from: "Doomhippie"
What I particularly like about the game is the design of (most of) the miniatures. They have a very elegant style unlike the more clumsy looking Warhammer miniatures (which I like , too, but for different reasons).

I like the way the game works for small groups composed of characters. That's the strength of the game. It's a story telling kind of mechanism.

However, I'm starting to get worried about the direction the game has taken: it's getting too big for my taste (from an economic point of view very neccesary). All these extra and special troops appearing now are starting to get on my nerves. I really detest the Gondorian auxiliary troops. According to the book they are some kind of militia, not some elite units.

The same holds true for the new Haradrim troops. Of course that's only my personal feeling.

Yep, the Evil side now has way too many superheroes, rather than the massed hordes with a few really tough guys they mostly rely on in the book.

Keeps the Munchkins happy, i suppose.

Offline Theomar Pius

• Librarian
    • The Stonecutters Guild
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
Would also have the feeling that with a few new movies coming out, that GW could pick up those liscences as well, and supply new material for them.

(few new movies, say that 5 times quickly)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
Quote from: "Theomar Pius"
Would also have the feeling that with a few new movies coming out, that GW could pick up those liscences as well, and supply new material for them.

I would certainly hope they will pick up the licence for the Hobbit films,
but who knows if their financial situation will be up to it?

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 01:05:07 PM »
They've covered most of The Hobbit with minis already.

A box of "Dwarf Rangers", in which you get 12 different (of 24 total) Dwarves in cloaks.

Bilbo, holding The Ring in one hand and a book in the other.

Goblins and Trolls, these have been out for a long time with many variants.

Spiders and Elves, there are some in their Mirkwood range.

Gandalf the Grey, Gollum, Elrond Halfelven, lots of versions of each.

Smaug, there is a a Dragon model that came out the same time as the Dwarves.

Most of these you can find equally nice models either at the same price or cheaper from other suppliers.  But those Dwarves are a good deal.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
Quote from: "revford"
They've covered most of The Hobbit with minis already.

A box of "Dwarf Rangers", in which you get 12 different (of 24 total) Dwarves in cloaks.

Bilbo, holding The Ring in one hand and a book in the other.

Goblins and Trolls, these have been out for a long time with many variants.

Spiders and Elves, there are some in their Mirkwood range.

Gandalf the Grey, Gollum, Elrond Halfelven, lots of versions of each.

Smaug, there is a a Dragon model that came out the same time as the Dwarves.

Most of these you can find equally nice models either at the same price or cheaper from other suppliers.  But those Dwarves are a good deal.

Quite true, of course - I have the Dwarf "Rangers" and have already sorted the most appropriate of them into Balin's band. Just need to fit them into the painting schedule and remember where I put their painting details. I suppose I could always re-read the Hobbit again :lol:

The only two that really need specific models are a younger, more adventurous looking Bilbo & a proper "Smaug" [the one they do doesn't fit the bill IMO]. Also, a fat dwarf for Bombur would be nice. Oh and possibly Beorn in his two shapes. Vendel's is very good, the bear is fantastic but their Beorn is a bit large in man-shape.

As you say, there are plenty of cheaper non-GW figures that would do....... it's just that I really love their LOTR range [well most of them]  :)

Also, one of the rumours circulating is that, as they are making The Hobbit in two parts, a lot of the films will be background [and maybe prequel] stuff outlined in the LOTR, due to the fact that it's really quite a simple story. There could obviously be a wealth of new characters etc in the offing.......

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 06:11:07 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
As you say, there are plenty of cheaper non-GW figures that would do....... it's just that I really love their LOTR range [well most of them]  :)

They are the best thing GW has going at the moment.  Great game with nice models.  Also some nice variants from Warhammer Historical.

Also, one of the rumours circulating is that, as they are making The Hobbit in two parts, a lot of the films will be background [and maybe prequel] stuff outlined in the LOTR, due to the fact that it's really quite a simple story. There could obviously be a wealth of new characters etc in the offing.......

I'd heard about this two movies thing.  Not sure about that.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
Quote from: "Theomar Pius"

I would certainly hope they will pick up the licence for the Hobbit films,
but who knows if their financial situation will be up to it?

Well, there's few other companies that I know of with the same financial backing and 'reach' as GW. Teh only other one I can think of is Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro?). Plus GW have established a look which gamers are used to. So from Tolkien Enterprizes and New line's perspective I think a miniature deal works in both directions.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Well, there's few other companies that I know of with the same financial backing and 'reach' as GW. Teh only other one I can think of is Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro?). Plus GW have established a look which gamers are used to. So from Tolkien Enterprizes and New line's perspective I think a miniature deal works in both directions.

GW are in a bad way these days.  The lost £11,000,000 last year and are dropping staff and having stores open limited hours.

Any company that didn't loose 11 million quid last year is making more money than GW.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »
I suppose the Hobbit film might see a relaunch of their "Battle of the 5 armies" range.

Thinking of the Hobbit.... since trolls turn to stone in sunlight, my question is, how do Harad (notoriously hot sunny climate) get half-trolls ?
On that thought, half-troll & half...what else ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 12:44:19 AM »
...half-sunblock factor 89

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »
The movie "A Passion in the Desert" comes to mind, according to which bedouins are immensely fearful of caves. Perhaps a throwback to the days of Harad when every cave had a troll in it? :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
...half-sunblock factor 89

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Apparently Tolkien had mentioned that Saruman had bred te Uruk Hai to withstand sunlight better than other orcs, and if I am not mistaken Sauron had done something similar with trolls.