Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch Built AT-AT Painting?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Scratch Built AT-AT Painting?
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

This may or may not be the right place for this post.  I reckon that it probably is but if you guys want to move it then go right ahead :)

A friend of mine "idiotgreychild" scratch builds Star Wars models purely for his own amusement.  They tend to take him a few years per project as he works on them intermittently, but the quality that he achieves is exceptional.  For example check out the 1:1 astromech that he did a few years ago (Im the dork checking the droid for carbon scoring in a slightly less than sci-fi environment BTW).

idiotgreychilds most recent project is a scratch built AT-AT as shown below.  The model is 1:24.  That scale was chosen as it was the maximum size that idiotgreychild felt that he could manage with the tools and space that he has access to.  The 80s Star Wars figure in the first photo and the human being (who is neither me nor idiotgreychild BTW) who appears to be gauging the sex of the beast in the second shot should give you an idea of size.

Knowing my interest in toy soldiers idiotgreychild has asked me to help him work out the best way to paint this lovely model.  The problem is that I have little experience of this sort of thing.

I tend to paint 28mm humans/aliens/robots etc more or less exclusively and I have very little experience of painting vehicles or using airbrushes or weathering powders or anything like that.  Therefore I decided to ask the wealth of talent that frequents the LAF for advice on how to paint the model.  It would be a shame to see such a beautifully crafted model spoiled by a substandard paint job, so any help is appreciated.

Any takers?

(idiotgreychilds somewhat neglected blog is HERE.  It features some WIP shots of the AT-AT for anyone interested)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:09:13 PM by cheetor »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratch Built AT-AT Painting?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
The AT-AT is great, especially when seeing how small a normal Kenner figure is next to it. It would be fun to know where some of the parts used come from, I'm guessing all kinds of household products as well as random plasticard and model kit leftovers  8)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
I'd have to say, apart from the knee screw threads that could do with dremmeling down, I'd leave it as it is to be honest.

Cheers

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »
I'd have to say, apart from the knee screw threads that could do with dremmeling down, I'd leave it as it is to be honest.

Cheers

The Commander
You Picky Git lol lol lol
That is a cracking model. :-* :-* :-*
For that painting job would it not be better commisioning an expert instead of wasting it with a crap paint job?

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
Just go for it. You cant really mess it up, you just need to be brave. Streaks, and weahering is well easy to do. Check out fintchenfoo, his blog is the business. He even does some star wars stuff:

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/

Id say from my experience that you will do some work on it, and it will look well rough. DONT GET DISHEARTENED AND GIVE UP! Push through, do the final processes and it will look really great.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
Just go for it. You cant really mess it up, you just need to be brave. Streaks, and weahering is well easy to do. Check out fintchenfoo, his blog is the business. He even does some star wars stuff:

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/

Id say from my experience that you will do some work on it, and it will look well rough. DONT GET DISHEARTENED AND GIVE UP! Push through, do the final processes and it will look really great.

I'd ditto this too. He's a guy who knows his stuff and has loads of helpful tutorials along the way too.
Duncan

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everybody and in particular Ramshackle_Curtis for the link and the encouragement.

The AT-AT builder is mining fichtenfoo.net for information as we speak :)

Offline apeekaboo

• Librarian
  • shambler
    • apeekaboo:s wonderful world
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »
Wow, I just visited the blog and there are some good pictures showing off all the exquisite detailing. This build shows some serious dedication and skill!  :o :o :o

As Ramshackle_Curtis says, I don't think you should worry too much about the painting. It will be fun painting it, and I know you'll do it justice.

Don't forget to update with more pictures when the painting is done!

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »