Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troll Forged Miniatures new plastics: 29/7 Painted example added  (Read 3092 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Interesting little video from the TFM site showing the properties of the new "spin cast plastic" material.
Comparison of several minis from the range including AndyM's lovely Labyrinth style goblins (a set of which I just bought from seeing this).
Fantasy figures from various sculptors including Kev White and some new plastic castings of old Hobby Products Chaos Knights....they look great!

http://trollforged.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/trollcast-toughness/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:14:01 PM by robh »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Troll Forged Miniatures new plastics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
I saw this a few days ago. It looks really good. I must get some of those goblins I really like them.

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
Does anyone know if they plan on making other goblins. If they made plastic archers and metal command in that style i would build an army out of them

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
Does anyone know if they plan on making other goblins. If they made plastic archers and metal command in that style i would build an army out of them

I dunno, I'd prefer the spin cast resin-plastic that they're working on over metal. Metal changes size and shape a bit as it cools to a solid after it's poured, so never looks as crisp as a resin model to my eye.

I HOPE that they'll do more goblins, I guess it'll come down to their market.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »

I think that is down to Andrew M to decide if he wants to do any more. Personally I hope he does also, I love the Labyrinth look these have, I am still waiting for the set I ordered to arrive. I am hoping they work with my Rackham Strohm Goblins.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
You'd better petition Ed then, it'd help keep bread-and-butter on my table that's for sure! Seriously though I'd love to sculpt some more, especially as I've come on a lot skill wise since then! 8)

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
How do these size up next to Otherworld goblins

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
My order of the spincast plastic Goblins arrived today, very prompt service and extremely well packed.

The figures themselves are excellent. No casting flaws, no flash and superb surface detail, absolutely 1st rate castings. Plastic is quite rigid and even the extremely thin (too thin really) weapon shafts stand bending back and forth several times before snapping. Cuts very easily with craft knife and simple to drill cleanly with a pin vice.  I am very impressed with the quality of this material, equal to any resin figures I have(wargame or collector 54mm) and far far superior to the dreadful GW finecast material.

I do not have Otherworld Goblins to compare them with but these guys tower above GW Goblins/Night Goblins and have even bigger heads. Much to my joy though, they are a perfect match with my Rackham Goblins (Oriental and Strohm styles). Legs and arms are a bit scrawny in comparison but the heads are a perfect match. These are 22mm tall, 25mm to top of helmet and 29mm to tip of horns.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Troll Forged Miniatures new plastics: 29/7 Painted example added
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I have painted one of these Goblins for a comparison with my Rackham Goblins.

I think they are an excellent match, Arms and legs are a bit "spindly" but the head size and overall dimensions of the Troll Forged figure are spot on and the style is perfect.
I snapped off the pole arm (took several times bending back and forth before it would break) to replace it with a Rackham spare weapon from the Goblin Ashigaru set. The hand was easy to drill through cleanly and the pieces stuck firmly with superglue.
Painted without soap washing or any undercoat with no problems for my GW and Coat d'Arms paints adhering.

This new plastic is an excellent material for working with, IMHO far better than resin or metal. I am looking forward to seeing new releases in this product (as the Red Box range kickstarter)....I would still hope to see AndyM sculpt some more of these goblins....but with a bit more bulk to their arms and legs ;)