Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troll Forged Assimilation Alien Host figs painted (Kickstarter Host added 6/24)  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Carnage hound looks better than the art.

I thought so myself.  Which is kind of funny, since there was some discussion in the project updates about how far off-model the early stages of the sculpt were.  Lot of people wanted it closer to the sketch, but in the end this is a marked improvement in my eyes.  Smaller than originally advertised though, they were pitched as coming on an 80mm base but delivered with a 50mm (although I prefer the more roomy Reaper 60mm used above).

Very cool.  Always up for some space gribblies.

They should be up for sale on the Troll Forged store soon, he's (finally) almost done with KS fulfillment and I'm sure he'll want to start making more money on the range ASAP.  Or you could buy mine painted, they're up in the Bazaar.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:56:07 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Can't make an alien host without hatching some eggs now, can you?

Small sample of the two common egg sculpts in the range, mounted on 30mm bases.

Pretty simple, easy to paint, and useful for a lot of roles including the obvious facehugger storage unit.

There's a much larger version with a bit more detailing, but I haven't gotten around to that one yet.  These work better for 28mm scale games anyway IMO.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Another of the larger figs painted up, this time an alien queen along with some of her eggs.

Quite a large model, fits well on a 60mm base.

Easier to clean up and assemble than the Carnage Hound, and the arms have far more pose options for more variety.

Quite like the design aesthetic on this one.

The mix of squishy bits and carapace are a good hybrid of the Host "worm" and "bug" types.

Definitely be right at home in a Tyranid Hive Fleet, as well as for Xenomrph/Alien gaming.

Also works pretty well for fantasy and horror gaming.

Didn't the Big Bad in King's idiotic "It" novel turn out to be a big spider-alien?

And for fantasy, I know I've got a copy of The Fantasy Trip that stats up the critters from Chitin: 1 for dungeoncrawling, and this lovely lady would fit right in there.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Really liking your take on these models.  I still have some of the big ones unpainted; you're giving me ideas!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Blimey, they're a bit creepy!

I thought these would see the light of day. Does Trollforge sell them yet? Can only find the grubs on their website.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Blimey, they're a bit creepy!

I thought these would see the light of day. Does Trollforge sell them yet? Can only find the grubs on their website.

The KS was about four-five years late depending on what level you backed at, and they're still not done shipping the final tier rewards.  Don't think they'll be available at retail until that's done (which probably explains why mine are selling so well on ebay) although they must be getting close.  I know the last of the pledge manager stuff is being collected and processed.  The grubs on the web store are ancient sculpts from before the KS even launched, although the overall design is very similar.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:17:21 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Yup, seriously creepy.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
You've done that one very well. I did prefer the art on this than the final design (although very similar it just had something I liked more about it)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
You've done that one very well. I did prefer the art on this than the final design (although very similar it just had something I liked more about it)

Thanks!  I agree that it doesn't quite match up to the concept sketch, although it is much closer to its sketch than the Carnage Hound was.  OTOH, I like the final Hound better, whereas the Queen sculpt (while good, and very creepy) isn't as good looking as the sketch.  

I think it's the slightly more upright stance and much larger head in the sketch that appeals to me.  Still not unhappy with the final model, just think the artwork was even cooler.

Probably should have mentioned that the Queen comes with two head options.  Both are similar, the one I used is more...antler-y (is that even a word?) where the other is a bit more Tyranid/xenosectoid and matches the sketch more closely.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Lovely creepy mini's and great paintjob.

Don't envy the rad-trooper for running into them again and again though.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Lovely job on the bugs, I really like the larger ones in this range.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Don't envy the rad-trooper for running into them again and again though.

Meh, compared to a Growler pack these things are softies.  :)

More paintups:

Larva Swarms, about 40mm in diameter.  Obviously useful as Tyranid Ripper Swarm proxies, but also useful for dungeoncrawl gaming and as a tide of baby Cthonians in Mythos settings.

And at the other end of the size spectrum, the Drone.

Largest model in the Kickstarter, about 11" long as I've put it together (the legs are pretty repositionable).

"Still less frightening than a Razorback bull, Comrades.".

Cast in 11 parts, fairly simple to assemble.

Trickiest part is getting all four legs on the ground.

A really impressive model, rivaling the biggest GW or Privateer brutes.

Supposed to be the Host's version of an infantry fighting vehicle, with lesser critters riding on the carapace or inside the belly.

Good execution on the belly "access port" sculpting, much more convincing than the thematically similar GW Tervigon.

Note sure the openings or internal volume are big enough to accommodate the larger Host soldier-forms, but I can certainly believe you could jam a few grubs or a whole bunch of swarmers inside while the less squishy adults cling to the back.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Latest figs, a unit of five Stealth Warriors.

Big models on 45mm bases, easily the size of (say) a Tyranid warrior from the Grimdark future.

Cast in four pieces, with separate arms and a heads.

Fair amount of variety, with at least three bodies, three heads, and two (or three?) pairs of arms.

Minimal cleanup required, although they did need a good soak-and-scrub to remove mold release agent.

All in all I like them a lot, very creepy and unnatural looking, and they look like the kind of thing you'd finding riding on the back of the big Drone model.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Swarm Master finished up.

Four pieces, pretty easy to assemble but not very much you can do in the way of pose variation.

Big armored boss monster for units of swarm warriors, on 45mm base.

Bit static, but still suitably creepy.

Like the other lesser warriors, big enough to be intimidating.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Another lot, this time five of the Adult Swarm Warrior models.

Cast in four pieces, with the heads and two arms on a separate sprue.

Armed with biological guns on one arm and a talon/blade on the other.

Fairly basic figures, but they make good alien nasties, have an obvious ranged weapon (helpful in many settings), and they're imposingly huge.

They all seem to come with the same head (the variant is borrowed from a Swarm Master, who comes with extras) and there are at least two body variants (most noticeable from the rear where the armor pattern stands out better).