Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: UNIT vs the Space Robots  (Read 8855 times)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
I'm planning to inflict some UNIT games on people soon, so I thought I'd share a few characters I've painted up so far.

UNIT Heroes:

The Space Robots:

The idea is that the Space Robots are going to be a 'warm up' game before the UNIT vs The Daleks main event.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Nicely done. I love those robots.
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
What make are the UNIT figures?

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:32:19 AM »
Awesome!  Which ruleset are you planning on using?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:29:19 AM »
Good stuff. :)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
I can't get used to UNIT in red hats. That's one Russell T Davies 're-imagine' I do not approve of. I'm fine with almost everything else he's done, but I have a particular fondness for the old beige hats.

Back in the days when belligerent aliens attacked South East England almost every week, those beige berets (and a Belgian rifle with a bayonet, and some guts behind it) are what kept us free! Bring back the beige! :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline revford

• Mastermind
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »
Quote from: "Big Guy"
What make are the UNIT figures?

They are Mo-Fo Falklands War characters from Gripping Beast.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=575

Quote from: "dusser"
Awesome!  Which ruleset are you planning on using?

The current plan is to try this with 5150, from Two Hour Wargames.  But we'll give it a go with Legends of the Old West from Warhammer Historical too.

If they OGL it as they are talking about, Battlefield Evolution with the modern and Starship Troopers add-ons from Mongoose.

For more adventure-y less battle-y games, it's going to be .45 Adventure.

Quote from: "Plynkes"
I can't get used to UNIT in red hats. That's one Russell T Davies 're-imagine' I do not approve of. I'm fine with almost everything else he's done, but I have a particular fondness for the old beige hats.

I think he made the change as a personal favour to me, so I could borrow support weapons and crew from my WWII British Paratroopers and the hats would match.

Russell T Davies does score 1,500 bonus points for making Dr Martha Jones a member of UNIT.  Hopefully this means some monsters invading the coast of South Wales in the new series coming this April.

I'd love to find some minis of women in British Army uniforms for UNIT, but there don't seem to be any out there.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
Nice, although still stubornly painting my UNIT figs in the old style.  :wink:

Offline revford

• Mastermind
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

The Daleks are just about finished now.  Just Davros to go.

More Dalek pics here:

http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gaming-doctor-daleks.html

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »
Excellent Daleks  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »
Darn swell, those Daleks! Now, I know nothing about the Dr. Who fluff apart from being able to tell Daleks from Cybermen and who Davros and what TARDIS is (I think I saw it last Sunday parked on a drivers training course between Golders Green and Brent Cross tube stations :lol:), but Iīd assume gold Daleks would be "bosses", not "īleks of the line"? :?:

Looks lovely, nonetheless, and being an avid brasstek fan, wonīt complain! :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
Gold looking ones are the Renegade/Cult of Skaro Daleks.  A Common Dalek.

Black for the Dalek Supreme/Supreme Dalek or Dalek Sek.  A Boss Dalek.

Daleks are from the planet Skaro, they are mutant meat lumps in an armoured case.  Cyborgs from space.

The Cult of Skaro are a group of Dalek scientists working to preserve and restore the Dalek Empire, after they were almost wiped out in the Time War.

The Time War was between the Daleks and the Time Lords where they used time travel to try and wipe the others out before they existed.  It didn't go well for either side.

You are now a Dalek expert.  :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
Quote from: "revford"
Gold looking ones are the Renegade/Cult of Skaro Daleks.  A Common Dalek.

Black for the Dalek Supreme/Supreme Dalek or Dalek Sek.  A Boss Dalek.

Daleks are from the planet Skaro, they are mutant meat lumps in an armoured case.  Cyborgs from space.

The Cult of Skaro are a group of Dalek scientists working to preserve and restore the Dalek Empire, after they were almost wiped out in the Time War.

The Time War was between the Daleks and the Time Lords where they used time travel to try and wipe the others out before they existed.  It didn't go well for either side.

You are now a Dalek expert.  :)

Ahhh... yes. Daleks mi doch am Popocatepetl! :lol: (pun for the German-speakers only, sorry)

Thanks a bunch... I had somewhere read about that "shrivelled aliens" thing, but all the finer details are completely alien to me, and Iīm afraid Iīm too old for diving into yet another SciFi universe... not that it would stop me.

But that doesnīt detract from the nice, oldskool SciFi designs. And who else but the BBC would come up with a time-traveling telephone booth? :lol:

By the way, a recent Dr. Who serial is currently being shown on German TV - recently watched an episode featuring ethereal spirits and Charles Dickens, and while rather fun, didnīt watch more due to absence and time constraints. Is it good as a "Who primer" or should I rather pick another series?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
By the way, a recent Dr. Who serial is currently being shown on German TV - recently watched an episode featuring ethereal spirits and Charles Dickens, and while rather fun, didnīt watch more due to absence and time constraints. Is it good as a "Who primer" or should I rather pick another series?

Speaking as one who's seen very, very little of the old Doctor Who (and that was ages ago), I still LOVE the new series. Never mind learning the background, just start watching it and enjoy. That's what I did. From what I can tell, it doesn't rely hugely on the old Doctor Who anyway. It breaks away from it, to some extent.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline revford

• Mastermind
UNIT vs the Space Robots
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

That's the best place to start and quite near the beginning of the 'New Who'.

The new series, which started over here in, I think 2005, was written in a way that you didn't have to know the whole 45 years of back story.