Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Austrian Question from a Beginner  (Read 1721 times)

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
Austrian Question from a Beginner
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
Greetings
Been gaming for some time but have always wanted to step into napoleonics this is a new era genre for me and sometime the history books dont help the modeling side when it comes to units, Im using Black Powder by Warlord and was wondering how to best configure my stands Im doing 28mm four figures a stand for my Austrians If I was doing french thier be a stand of grenadiers in this unit. I know thats not the case for my force but wanted to know about genzers or jaguars as flank units( a single base maybe) ???

Any guide line to building units from the mind set of a modeler would be great I hope Im asking the right questions and thanks!
Gordon
Adler Hobby NH USA
www.adlerhobby.com
Stop by our fun Black powder Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BlackpowderNE/

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Re: Austrian Question from a Beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
Hi
Grenzers and jeagers would be in separate units. Austrian battalions did not have flank/elite companies like the British and French. (Technically they did have grenadier companies but those were detached to form grenadier battalions).

Grenzers should be in battalion strength ('normal' unit) but you could do jeagers as 'small' units attached to the brigades.

James

Offline Slekke

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »
Austrian regimental collars is something you need to think about.

One regiment has drie bataillons, the 1st and the second = 6 bases, the thirty battalion (depot) has 4 bases.  Each regiment has for bases of grenadiers.  So 2x6 bases + 1x4 + 1x4 grenadiers.  With the 1-3 battalions, together 16 bases, you can form 6+6+4 or 8+8 or if you add 2 bases militia, you have 3x6 battalions, whatever you what to play with Lasalle Black powder or other future games.  This is a flexible way of using your Austrians.   

That is how i painting my austrians.

Besides that you have you grenzers battalions, and also your militia or Landwehr.  Grenadiers are concentrated in one place from several regiments, the equivalent of the french old guard.

Also creating a 28mm Austrian army.  Greatings from Belgium.

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies  :)

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
A colourful start would be Nordmanns Vanguard at Wagram with German Fusiliers, Landwehr, Jagers, Grenz, Arty and Hussars