Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Baddies! (or messing around with my new Crossover toys)  (Read 5231 times)

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
Baddies! (or messing around with my new Crossover toys)
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
Wocha,

I decided to spend my down time this weekend finally getting a bit of paint on some of my new toys. I grabbed the figures and spent a few minutes messing about with the heads. I decided I didn't want any flesh visible so chose heads that were completely covered. A minor conversion to Whiskers (ears removed and a ponytail added from a fury head) and I was ready to go. Back story and names were just whatever came to me as I painted and if I got the name first it influenced the paint job. Once they were done I wrote up a quick back story based on my idle painting thoughts and then stated them up for super system. These guys have turned out to be VERY street level and would likely get mushed by all of our club's DC and Marvel teams even at the same points level but I get the impression they are going to end up spending their time fighting a force of corporate security goons in the near future.

Sit back and enjoy the back story if you have time otherwise just look at the pictures. Sorry they are so poor but  my camera seems to have completely forgotten how to take a photograph of a toy soldier... :-[

The Usual Suspects.

“We're always at the top of the most wanted list whether we did the job or not so why not celebrate it?” PyroKnight when asked about the name of his crew.

The Usual Suspects were formed by the man who was to become the PyroKnight a few years ago in Boston. He was already a well known armed robber for hire and needed a crew for his upcoming job, stealing a rare alloy housed in the Government research labs just outside the city. PyroKnight never asked questions which was why he was hired for the job. As ever it went without a hitch and the goods were duly delivered to the customer and the rich rewards he had been promised were handed over.

A few month later PyroKnight was contacted again and made an offer he decided he couldn't refuse, become much, much better at what you do and much harder to catch whilst you're doing it. All he had to do was assemble his top three dream team of a crew and they would be given the opportunity to become the world greatest thieves. No one really knows what happened other than PyroKnight, his crew and his shadowy benefactor but soon a new team of thieves were making a splash in all the wrong places and earning pay checks estimated in the tens of millions each year.

PyroKnight.
Already a renowned safe cracker PyroKnight was given the ability to get through almost and vault or locked door anywhere. He is able to generate an intense heat field capable of melting through almost anything. When required he can use his heat powers as a protective shield to ward off in coming attacks and to damage his assailants.

Asp.
Asp is a very talented burglar and her reputation for getting in and out unseen has only been increased by her enhancement. Now able to move faster than the eye can see Asp makes breaking and entering child’s play. She is also equipped with a clawed combat blade she calls her fangs, a single touch of which causes searing agony to her opponents. When things start going badly however she has been known to think with her feet instead of sticking to the plan, a trait which is starting to concern her teammates.

Shadowshot.
Shadowshot is the recon expert in the team. It's his job to case the joint and determine the best way in and out. Remaining unseen whilst doing his job was made far easier when he was upgraded. Shadowshot has the ability to blend with his surroundings and become all but unseeable. Shadowshot acts as a jack of all trades during the job and is always ready with his pistols should things go awry his already uncanny aim better than ever before.

Blast.
The teams explosives expert was rendered redundant when PyroKnight was enhanced but Blast had a secondary skill to fall back on and serves as the teams extraction expert. His curious wrist cannon fires a liquid polymer resin pellet which rapidly expands and hardens into an all but inescapable shell. Blast also has the ability to create force fields to shield the team's get away although he seems to need to mutter some indecipherable mantra to keep it maintained.

Wraith
Wraith is a new addition to the team who really has no business working with such an elite team of thieves. He seems to be holding his own though as they haven't thrown him out yet. Assuming they could if they wanted to. Wraith's armour gives him his nom de crime. His suit had been identified by the media (although not confirmed by the government) as the Weaponized Reconnaissance And Interdiction Tactical Harness that was being developed a few years ago but was mothballed when funding was cut. The W.R.A.I.T.H. suit has the ability to become invisible and is armed both for close combat and attacks at range. Sadly none of the bugs were ever sufficiently worked out during the development phase and so they have a tendency to go offline the the most inopportune moments. Wraith can rely on the armours durability and it enhancement of his fighting prowess but everything else is kinda hit and miss.

Quote from: Secret Origins
Weapons research contractor and all round scoundrel Claremont Wellington-Chandler was on the wrong end of the latest round of DARPA downsizing and a number of his ongoing projects were cut. Already having been made a laughing stock when his W.R.A.I.T.H. prototype failed it's final test run Wellington-Chandler was furious when his company were removed from the only current project he felt had any real application in the immediate future. A new nanotech infused alloy known around the labs informally as down-right-amazing-ium (it proper name was much less fun to say) was shaping up to be the golden goose of defence technologies for the coming decade. Programmable to increase the potential of any object into which it was incorporated  down-right-amazing-ium was the answer to all of C. W's problems with the W.R.A.I.T.H. project. With no further access he arranged for the alloy to be stolen and delivered to him.

Once he had his wonder materiel he set about adding it to the W.R.A.I.T.H. suit. Unfortunately the crude patch he used did little to solve the problems in the main systems but did help to provide a healthy bump to the suits durability. Realising that the armour would need to be redesigned from the ground up incorporating the new alloy at every stage C.W. Was thrilled at the prospect of his company's imminent return to the top of the weapons development totem pole. His board however had other ideas. Due to the lost government contracts during his tenure C.W. Was removed from his position as chairman and C.E.O. and banned from further access to company funding for his pet project which they saw as nothing but a huge money pit.

Wellington-Chandler was furious but not so blind with rage that he didn't think to remove all of the  down-right-amazing-ium and a W.R.A.I.T.H. suit prototype to his Great Lakes retreat. He knew his project was viable but now all he really lacked was the funding to complete the project. Although his personal wealth was vast it was by no means sufficient to put together a project of this scale. That's when he called in PyroKnight and made him his offer. If they agreed to cut him in on their scores he would use the  down-right-amazing-ium to enhance their prowess.

PyroKnight was given a cranial clamp which tapped and magnified his body heat. Asp's suit was woven with down-right-amazing-ium circuitry which increased her speed, her 'fangs' were also kitted out with the alloy turning from a simple thieves tool to a deadly debilitating weapon. Shadowshot received body armour with a camelionic capabilty allowing him to blend with his surroundings bases on the design in the W.R.A.I.T.H. armour. Blast was given his whisper mask which amplifies the sound waves of his voice into solid projections of force. A 'little toy' he had been tinkering with was also added to his arsenal and when improved with the wonder materiel worked like a charm. Now with a team of hard core thieves to back him up and a considerably smaller stockpile of the alloy, Claremont Wellington-Chandler set out on a life of crime designed to propel his legitimate holdings, and himself, back to the top.

Offline hendybadger

• Librarian
  • Dreaded Supreme-Badger of the High Seas
    • Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher
Re: Baddies! (or messing around with my new Crossover toys)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
All looking great.
Cant wait to get my hands on some Crossover goodies
My Blog - Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher (link)
Inculdes Pulp City, Deep Wars, Dystopian Legions and loads more!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Looking fantastic Soapy!  A great read as well!  I'd love to see some pics when they tangle with the corporate security goons.  :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
I love the industrial look of Wraith.  8)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
Great read! I love the work you have done.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
Fun back stories and excellent looking characters.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »
Is there a template for the stat cards?

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
Ho I so much like it !!  :-* As usual, a troumendous job ^^

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
I love the industrial look of Wraith.  8)

me too stick a minigun on his shoulder, instant war machine.  :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
Very cool Soapy!  Id love to rumble with them with my supe team (whatever their name is!!!!)
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
Fantastic - Love them!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
Inspiring! 
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Where did you get those cards? Is that something you made? I would not mind getting a copy. Drop me a PM with details please.

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?y89ezpk9to7g9qu

This is the template I use for my stat cards. They should print out at the right size to slip into a deck protector so that you can track damage etc. with a dry wipe marker.

Hope it's useful to you.

Soaps.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?y89ezpk9to7g9qu

This is the template I use for my stat cards. They should print out at the right size to slip into a deck protector so that you can track damage etc. with a dry wipe marker.

Hope it's useful to you.

Soaps.

Very! Thanks!

Keep up the good work! Sculpt more!!!!!!!