Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests (final tests 30/10)  (Read 7623 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »
Heavens no! A fine turned pair of calves under woollen hose is all the peacockery needed for a stout red-blooded English Yeoman!  :D

Good question... as Simon says, not much in the way of evidence (if any), but all foreign fads (silly hats, the French disease, arquebuses and peacocks) eventually made their way over in time...

;)

Sounds good enough to me  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:55 AM »
Sounds good enough to me  :D

cheers

James

I have serious doubts that it happened simultaneously though..... so maybe for armies that are a little later then the Perry stuff is aimed at.

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
I have serious doubts that it happened simultaneously though..... so maybe for armies that are a little later then the Perry stuff is aimed at.

Well yes, fashions took time to transfer, if they did at all and there is no way we can put a time frame on something we don't have any evidence for. I personally wouldn't paint figures representing non-Italians with that style of hose, but then again I couldn't honestly say that such a stance is wholly historically accurate with any great degree of certainty.

Italians got about though, we have a whole Ordonnance Company of them in Guelderland in 1477, besides the numbers serving with Duke Charles elsewhere; although whether they'd swapped their native fashion for something more suitable to Northern Europe is worth considering. London, Bordeaux, Bruge and Antwerp were the main ports of call for Italian ships, so the potential for the style to transfer and become common is there at least... I'd put the potential for a new Italian fashion taking off as taking 6 months to a year to make the journey North, rather than years.

As for the Perry figures, I'm no fashion expert by any means, but they represent to me a quite narrow period of time themselves and one that owes more to the 1470's and 80's than it does to 1461 and even more so than 1450, or even 1500. Certainly labelling them as 1450-1500 is a tad anachronistic to say the least. Fashion moved slower than today... but not that slow.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests (more figures 25/10)
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
I've done the rest of the Italian handgunners, taking in your feedback.

So these are all done with GW washes - I changed the mix to be more 70:30 Ogryn Flesh to Devlan Mud and so try to get a warmer shading tone. I also added some acrylic flow enhancer, which both diluted the wash and made it easier to push around the figures and into the areas where I most wanted it.
Again the flesh and main clothing items were highlighted back up with the initial blocking colour. The use of Army Painter is now just for the plate armour (the helms on these figures) with a GW Silver highlight and mail was a black wash drybrushed with silver.

With all this work these figures are still considerably quicker for me - it was just a couple of hours in total I would think from start to finish. If I had a production line process then it should be even speedier.
Happy with these - the actual colours are quite a bit brighter than shown here, as the pic was taken in fast fading daylight - and when based up they should be OK. Am now creeping closer to making definite plans for some small armies.
So now on to painting tests for horses.
Cheers, Simon.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:52:09 PM by painterman »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
They look excellent... I'm going to have to try that for myself.  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
They turned out a treat Simon  8)

cheers

James

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »
Cracking work Simon  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
Nice work  8).

Darrell.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests (final tests 30/10)
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
So here are the last test figures; mounted men at arms as Condottieri.
The horses have been washed with a mix of GW washes and then highlighted back up (not so clear in the photo) whilst the riders armour is GW silver with Army painter Dark tone dip brushed on. The leather work, plumes and cloth have also been covered in the dip and then been highlighted again and finally had a matt varnished brushed over (but not on the armour plates).

I'm going to base some up to finish them, but I'm happy that I've found a speedier process which still keeps some details and visual appeal - particularly when en masse on a tabletop. Hopefully I can keep some of these progressing betwixt Burgundians & Swiss.

Cheers for now,
Simon.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
I think the figures look excellent, especially the last batch of hand gunners. If you're able to paint them that quickly then you should have no problem banging out a few quality armies in next to no time! :)

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
I'm very impressed and is what I hope mine will look like after I get out the brushes... I have these delusions though.  ::)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
Simon,

Are you planning to have these as Italian Companies to go with your Burgundians?

I have just seen your "Burgundian barding" on your blog. 

Do you have any pictures of the finished version?
Mick

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
Hi Mick,
Plan is for some Italian city states forces; I'll still use these figure castings (painted separately) for my Burgundians.
Haven't gotten to the Burgundian barding yet - undercoat is on though  :)
Simon.

Offline Sirolf

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:46 AM »
That's a great project Simon, I am curious to see its evolution. I like the revival of interest in Italian armies that came with the new Perrys!!!

What city-states are you thinking on doing? Any battle or company in particular?

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Þorsteinn á Heiðini
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 03:33:48 AM »
Do you mind explaining how you base the infantry? Looks like you have them on a coin with wood fill or spackle. Do you paint them first then put them on? do you glue them down or does the spackle/wood fill hold them in place?